Whats the best deal on a saw you've ever got?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a ms 290 my x gave me as a break up present and the owner of my local chainsaw shop gave me a 051 and a 076 for free but they both needed a lil tlc

40 dollar 026 the guy said only cut down an apple tree in his yard. 40 200t needing a fuel line air filter cover and air filter. 044 straight gassed 55 bucks. Husky 181 with a bad stop switch for 40 bucks. Theres a few more but those were the best I can think of now. Oh yea my 120 064 with a fresh meteor, coil etc that sheared a flywheel key.

I bought a 4 wheeler frame from a man and I asked him if he had any saws to sell. He said nothing but an old Poulan that is to big to cut fire wood with. I said I wasn't interested in a Poulan, he said I could have it for 10.00. I went and looked at the saw it was a 5000 or green Dolmar 153, I paid him instantly.
I recently picked up a Poulan 5000 plus from CL for 30.00 with a mint piston and cylinder.

Later
Dan

Trying to rack my brain here (that's hard considering the amount that resides between the ears). I would say that it was a Stihl 026 for $25.00.
It was scored but didn't take much to get it rolling again! Yeah I know -- I belong to the "suck-a-mundo" club now but I don't keer! :laugh:

All you all SUCK!

I thought I have been doing pretty good. I was given a brand new MS250 to do a two acre clearing job, which I was paid $950 to do. Then my neighbor gave me an MS361 for doing a few hours of fire wood cutting.

Nothing to whine about, for sure.

I bought a 090 10 years ago for $300.
It was literally in perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition. Use it a handful of times a year and always impresses myself and my friends

Stihl MS-250 for Free, from my buddy Big Lou. He had three saws, and moved to his girlfriend's house in town. He needed to downsize, and I needed another saw like a(nother) hole in the head. But who am I to complain?

Bought a 153 off the bag, then realized we only lived 'bout 60 miles apart.

Met the guy halfway, new bar and chain, good compression (I didn't fire it up in the McDonalds parking lot).

Got it home and she popped on two, and fired up next time. All the sudden I hear a dis heartning squeal.

Shut her down, and found the re-coil was gooned up.

look for parts, uhhhhh not too many?

email the guy, he said, just listed one with no spark on the bag, I'll pull it and give you whatever parts you need.

email the guy and suggested "perhaps those saws belong together".

**** he delivered the saw, $50 bucks!

attachment.php

It's the one on the right.

That's the deal , that kicked my CAD into overdrive.

I owe ya one Larry!

Lets see....
I cant decide
056 magnum 2... free runs,but needs chain and clutch roller bearing,given to me by a guy i deliver fuel to,last year he had a cloth garage that got destroyed in a wind storm.All winter long i could see a chainsaw handle sticking out of the snow.Spring came and he was cleaning up and i hapened to catch him,i asked about the saw,turned out to be a couple of huskys tore apart,262's.Anyhow he said take em their going to the dump.The next time i was filling his house he comes out with the 056 and says want it,it's to big and old for me,came with the house and i need room...score:rock:
Or 044 runs needs nothing except a cleaning,bought a 950 loader for parts,came with a bunch of attatchments,anyhow i needed to borrow a couple of tools,when i returned them to their shop i could see the telltale orange and white covered with shop grunge,i asked about the saw in the corner.It's been sitting there since we bought the shop...the guy said,you want it?Sure how much?...Take it it's old and taking up space..He hadn't even finished the sentance and it was in my hand,thanks i said and was out the door.
Both had cherry P/C,both ran on fresh gas.
So you can see it's a tough call...,i did get another saw from the shop the 044 came from,a Pro Mac brick not sure the modle 55cc i believe,got it the next time i was there,more shop cleanings,it didn't run the same guy says you may as well take this one,that was my next trip there.I will go back again mabey they will find more:msp_biggrin:
Thomas

New Dolmar 9010 for around $200. I don't recall the exact amount but it was in that range. It didn't have a bar though:(

Let the cat out of the bag on that one :wink: Nice score, and to bad you didn't keep it :sad:

Lets see as far as the best deal I can't think...

$85 - If it had 2hrs of run time I would be astonished. Needed a carb kit from sitting 2-3 years.
P1030435.jpg

$40 + $25 for the bar and chain= $65... traded for a 520i Makita to match saw above.
P1030510.jpg

$250+Shipping for both 076 (needed fuel lines and muff cover), 9010 Makita needed rear handle, rebuild, and air box (not pictued)
P1030581_zpsbd75b612.jpg

Traded my rebuilt 026 (cost me $50), for this 046mag and $50 = $100 invested +time
SN850262.jpg

This load isn't a saw but got it all from the same place. To follow Jacobs lead... the cost was $200 but you can't calculate how much this chain and tools will earn me and save me in repairing saws and heating my home. Cost was $250 for 700 ft of chain (ish), 140+ piece tap and die (quality US made not junk), Breaker spinner, and 5 new bars, 4-5 master link kits 100pieces+ each, and lots of MISC parts!!!!!
chain.jpg

Also got a redmax 3800 free...

Oh and lastly... her comes the you suck... 655BP w 36in bar... $75
P1030504.jpg

My Freebies list so far: Stihl 075
Mcculloch PM700
McCulloch 10-10Ax3
Craftsman 5.2(Poulan 5200)
3 other smaller Craftsman (can't remember the models):rock::rock:

I picked up a like new 046 Magnum for $200.00 from a friend.

Didn't have a use for a saw that large, so I sold it and made some good money.

But, since I didn't post pictures of it on this forum, I'm told that it never happened.

I can accept that, but I'm still trying to figure out where all this extra money came from. :msp_smile:

Back