What's the "best" small saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in a quandry, actually cleaning up a collection of saws I've acquired over the years, but I'm keep a big saw, medium saw, and a smaller saw. I've pretty much made up my mind on the two larger saws, but I'm going to need some opinions (and I know you have those) on which saw I should keep. First of all, I cut for firewood to heat my house, and the amount varies year to year, from helping friends out, etc.

The choices:
Echo CS400 (muffler mod, carb fattened up)
Jonsered 2149 (big-bore kit)
Husqvarna 351 (stock)
Stihl MS260

I'm running 18" bars on all of the saws mentioned, and my problem is: I like them all...
Let the games begin...

I'm seeing a lot votes for the Stihl, funny, that's the one a couple of my friends are after... I'm weighing things out, never did any extensive work on a Stihl (never had to), just the Husky's and their red siblings the J-reds (purchased the problems, didn't make them). I picked up the Echo, did the muffler mod, popped the limitter tabs off the carb, and it's a serious contender as well, good power, and the lightest of the group. The thing that worries me with the Echo is will it last? I've been running Husqvarna for a long time side by side with my friends that, almost all, run Stihl. I know both of those will run the gauntlet, I just don't know about the Echo...

I'm seeing a lot votes for the Stihl, funny, that's the one a couple of my friends are after... I'm weighing things out, never did any extensive work on a Stihl (never had to), just the Husky's and their red siblings the J-reds (purchased the problems, didn't make them). I picked up the Echo, did the muffler mod, popped the limitter tabs off the carb, and it's a serious contender as well, good power, and the lightest of the group. The thing that worries me with the Echo is will it last? I've been running Husqvarna for a long time side by side with my friends that, almost all, run Stihl. I know both of those will run the gauntlet, I just don't know about the Echo...

Had my CS440 for 7 years with no problems....runs SMOOTH

Of that group?

Without question, the 351 and the 2149 next.

The other two are "trading fodder" and a doorstop...........you decide which one is which.

Mike

I vote for the echo 400. I had mine buried in hedge last week and was very impressed. After muffler mod and richening they really grunt through wood. The echo 400 is probably 2 pounds lighter than the other saws you are comparing to and cuts almost as fast.

sell all of them and get a wild thing :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Are you just thinning the herd or do you need to raise some revenue? If you need some cash out the Husky and Stihl will net the most cash. If you are just thinning the herd those two are the ones I would keep and cull the rest. The others would do the job for you as well, just aren't worth as much. If you have used them all, don't you already know which one you want to keep?

Back