Whats the deal with Craigslist prices??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give us a heads up a day or two ahead of time. I would feel a lot more comfortable about taking an hour or two to meet with someone about a saw if I knew where it came from.

Rats, and I was just going to to dump high priced junk on the unsuspecting :greenchainsaw:

I dont know. hows the hull? is the transom rotted? is the trailer rusted out? does the motor run? is it being bought as a project or is it to be put on the water this weekend?

If the trailer and hull are in good shape then its probably worth 500. clean it up rewire the electrical and find a good motor to put on it off of CL or fleabay and I bet you could be on the lake for 1000 and some elbow grease. is a 16 footer worth 1000??

If it needs extensive hull work, a new motor, and a new trailer then your talking a couple grand and now its not worth the money.

/me think somebody better check their shed.

:buttkick:

bigjayfromwa said:
I am always on the lookout for decent saw deals on craigslist... But lately people are asking crazy prices for these saws. Like an 18" Poulan for $90?? Some old small small craftsman POS that doesnt run for $40 or an old 031 for $250??

Maybe i'm the only one that thinks this is crazy...but there must be some idiot out there that is paying these prices.

It's not just craigslist, it's also newspapers/nickel ads/garage sales/bulletin board ads/community online classifieds.

Internet forums aren't exactly helping either, it's real easy for joe blow to skim through a few postings for chainsaws on forums and get the idea that his junk is worth a fortune.

Craigslist changes moment to moment. You have to check the damn thing all the time. One week there's 4 nice saws and nobody wants em then 2 weeks later someone sells a p.o.s craftsman for $200.
2 months ago I picked up a nice condition 361 that just needed some cleaning and tuning for $300 out of Tacoma. Now for the life of me I cant find a decent little top handle for 400 miles!
I'm glad for it though, cause if it wasn't easy to sell old used stuff then peoples basements and garages would just about burst from all the unused crap in em. :dizzy:
It just about breaks my heart to think of all those good saws sittin around for 11 months unused till christmas tree time comes around.....:cry:
:givebeer:

Last edited:
I bought an 056 Mag II for $100 with less than 25 hours on the saw last year. Craigslist is mainly a matter of timing and being fast.

A Neighbor bought a 372XP last year for $350 that had maybe 10 hours on it.

Thank God for the eBays, craigslist, etc...

I have been to more than a few estate sales and some stuff just can't be given away. My dad has lots of stuff that is worth money, but only to the right person. The type of people that will buy it are hundreds or thousands of miles away.

I sold some stuff for him a few years ago. A couple headlights for an International TD-9 crawler. They would have gone for $1 at an auction sale if he had one, but on eBay they went for $70 each. They are sought after by collectors. I made $500 on stuff that had sat around on the farm for 20-30 years. He and I split the cash and I plan to keep selling stuff for him so he can spend the money while he is here instead of putting it all on an estate sale when he is gone.

I love a bargain as much as the next guy, but lets remember what it is like on the other side of the purchase. You should have seen my dad's face when I brought the cash for all his "junk"!

I hope I am still keeping this thread on topic. I just feel that if you think the price is too high for something....wait until the next one comes and buy it. I used to find myself buying lots of saw stuff on eBay because I thought I might not see it again. Well, now I know that all I need is patience. It always shows up, again.

As for Craigslist... Nothing close up here at all. Closest listing in Minneapolis. Too dang far to drive, but I would be using it if I lived closer to population.

Last edited:
i get aggrivated at CL shoppers.

i have a 362xp on there right now and they all want it for $150 with all the paperwork and the warranty.i have bought and sold a lot of stuff on there but sometimes it's too much.

just purchased a sand blaster cabinet for $60 this morning. since I was the first to respond and drive out to pick up. I got the deal!

as someone already said... craigslist is all about timing and luck. good deals get jumped on quickly. most times within minutes.

then you've got to be prepared to drive out immediately to pick it up. first come, first served...

last week I scored a $1,800+ Easy Auger w/8hp honda motor for $100. motor was dead, so no one would touch it. seller claimed easy auger was working perfect when parked. so I took a chance... rebuilt carb, 8hp honda runs great! hydraulics all in top condition.

almost same situation for my MS 200T. wasn't running right, so I got for a song. rebuilt the carb, now 200T runs great!!!

If you don't ask, you won't receive. Some folks will pay insane prices for crap. And since Craigslist is free, why not give it a shot if you're not in a hurry to sell your item. There is at least one idiot born every day, so maybe he'll happen to want your $200 Craftsman 42cc/18" used chainsaw! :dizzy:

Workin' the list is all about timing

I stole my husky 2100 for 50 bucks last fall. I checked the list just as I got to work, because I rolled in a few minutes early. The seller had listed "Huskvarna chainsaw" for 50 bucks about three minute before I logged in. I called him up, found out the model, and arranged to meet him after work within 15 minutes of his posting. Check early, check often. Be prepared for the good deals to ge REALLY quick. Any wonder why the $200 crapsmans sit for weeks? There is a guy around here trying to get 400-500 for a husky 55 and 61. I may be off on the models a bit, but he wants a few bucks off of what he paid for them new twenty years ago.

I have had a lot of success off of craigslist. I am currently trying to get a running 064 in good shape for 200 bucks and I am also looking at a 50 dollar sharpener (have a tread about it). You just have to be looking at the right time. I missed a ps6400 for 150 bucks last week. The saw was listed in electronics and I missed it by a day. Keep looking and be on your toes, deals will come your way.

Straight off craigslist -Medford, Or
Wild Thing 18" 40cc Gas Chainsaw NIB never opened - $125
Come and get it guys, what a deal.........

What's up with all the chainsaws i've seen lately that say, used once, or new in box? Who the hell is sellin these things after only using them once. Me thinkith me smell something stinky like.:dizzy:

Just another craigslist quirk. :censored:

:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back