What's the difference in Stihl Pro and Mid Range?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawzall82

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking at a MS310 and a MS361. The #'s look the same except for the price. So what makes up the $200 difference?

I would say, for the extra $200 go with the 361, it will flat out outperform the 310.

But honestly I dont like either of them.

1/2 hp.
almost 1lbs.
mag.case instead of plastic
better anti-vibe
200$
Way more cool points,Plus you get a cool patch and decoder ring for the 361 club.

yes

The ms361 is more than 200 bucks better than the 310. If you don't want to spend the extra 200, get a used pro stihl, or a new something different. Buying a new 310 is like buying a new Chevy Luv. It was junk when built, Is still Junk, and If you bought one brand new, it was worth about 25% of what you paid for it as soon as you left the Dealer. Buying a new ms361, Is like buying a New Dodge Quad cab Cummins 6 speed short box. Your going to pay more, but in 10 years, It will still be going strong, and still be worth a pile of cabbage.

Last edited:
Mag case instead of plastic?

The case of the 361 is made of Magnesium along with clutch cover.

The case of the 290,310,390 is made of plastic. The engine Bolts to the plastic case. Not as strong as Magnesium. Good, but not as good as Magnesium.

There is a ton of info on the 361 and the 290,310,390 just do a SEARCH.
It all boils down to this how much you going to use it?

Last edited:
but in 10 years, It will still be going strong, and still be worth a pile of cabbage.

I don't really like cabbage. Unless of coarse your talking coleslaw?
I don't think I would like any 10 year old cabbage no matter how you fixed it. But I do like the Dodge:cheers:

So, your not going to use it like a pro would, you still don't need to buy junk. I'm not sure how much cheaper it is, but an ms260 might save you some coin (cabbage:)), that is an awesome choice, runs an 18" bar just fine. I have a 14 year old 026, and I wouldn't trade it for 2 new 310's.

Are Stihl's in anything other than Pro series really junk? Well, I guess I will look at a 260 or maybe a Husky 359 or 346XP.

Are Stihl's in anything other than Pro series really junk?

umm, Ya, I think so.. If you go to the Dodge Dealer, thinking of buying a good truck, and dealer says "Hey, We have this other Dodge truck over here, its a BETER DEAL", but then you notice the engine has a plastic block, when you started it it shoock the steering wheel out of your hand, and didn't have much power, would you buy it? If yes, than the 310 might be just the ticket.

I guess I will look at a 260 or maybe a Husky 359 or 346XP.

I think that's your best bet, or bite the bullet, and get the ms361

Recently cut with a 310, wasn't bad, wasn't a 361 either... Doesn't really matter though. You already gave your 4 choices. The 346xp, the 310 the 361 or the 359. Of all of those the sleeper is the 359. I am not a Husqy guy either. I have a 288, and that's it. I have a bunch o' Stihls, and I have to say the most bang for a reasonable buck that will last a long while is the 359 that you mentioned.

The 361 is a nice saw, but pricey. The 359 keeps cost down, and is a good performer. The 346 is also a great saw, but then we are going up in price again. To keep it cheap, the choices would have to be the 310 or the 359. If you have the same support for pats/etc, then I would lean to the 359.

Sincerely,
Jason

yes

The ms361 is more than 200 bucks better than the 310. If you don't want to spend the extra 200, get a used pro stihl, or a new something different. Buying a new 310 is like buying a new Chevy Luv. It was junk when built, Is still Junk, and If you bought one brand new, it was worth about 25% of what you paid for it as soon as you left the Dealer. Buying a new ms361, Is like buying a New Dodge Quad cab Cummins 6 speed short box. Your going to pay more, but in 10 years, It will still be going strong, and still be worth a pile of cabbage.

I hate to break it to you Camel, but the Chevy Luv 4X4 trucks were some tough little trucks. I owned 3 of them and you can't imagine the Hell I put them through running close to 200 miles of traps a day 3 months out of the year, about 1% was on pavement. The rest was in some of the nastiest mud on earth. I never had a problem with any of them. At 30 MPG's I wish they were still made today like the were in 79-82. I would give my left one for a brand new 1982 Chevy Luv 4X4. I now pay more in a year for diesel for my Dodge Cummins than I paid for a new Luv in 79. I do admit their downfall was rust, but I didn't care what they looked like as long as they got me to the next trap. The ones I owned never got a wash job as long as I owned one. I got over 200000 miles on every one of them. The little 4 bangers Isuzu made for the Luvs were bullet proof.

As far as the 310-361 issue, If he's only going to cut a few cords a year for firewood the 310 will do it and last 10 years. If he's going to use the saw to make living then the 361 will do that and last , what??, 3 years.

Last edited:
I am sure the 310 and 361 will both cut most trees that you will cut up for firewood - as long as you don't get too many large trees.

I owned a 029 (now 290) for 12 years and cut a lot of wood with it, and it worked fine and never needed any repairs. Just some normal maintenance and an occasional cleaning. When I got started building a house and had lots of land to clear I sold it and got a 361. The last tree I cut up with my 029 was a 24" Shagbark Hickory - and the 029 did cut it up but wasn't very happy about it. The tough bark and large size really slowed the 029 down and made it work on each cut for a while.

The 310 is the same as my 029 with just a bit more HP, and it is not junk and will cut lots of wood for you. If you never cut with another saw you will be very happy with the saw and you will be glad you bought it.

The 361 is a great saw and I really like it a lot more than my 029. It is smoother, lighter and cuts wood much faster. I certainly believe the additional $ 200 is money well spent.

I am looking at a MS310 and a MS361. The #'s look the same except for the price. So what makes up the $200 difference?

SZ 82,

OK, this is real simple. You have correctly identified your two choices: MS310 or MS361. Now, here's how to proceed.

1. Buy the MS310. Never come back to AS. Take an ice pick and remove all knowledge of AS from your brain. You will be very happy.

2. Buy the MS361. Continue to bask in the glow here at AS. Think about a second income or selling other assets to enable you to purchase more saws and chainsaw paraphernalia than your brain can now imagine. You will be very happy.

So, bud, what's it gonna be?

Joat

yes

Buying a new 310 is like buying a new Chevy Luv. It was junk when built, Is still Junk, QUOTE]

THat having been said no arguments here, however, A church member cut over 250 ricks of wood easch of last 2 years with no problems. does not expect any this year has orders for 200 ricks I think.

No I will not part with either my Poulan 3300 or Sthil 441.

Back