Whats the one saw that you will never get rid of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that pioneer saw you have is without a doubt the best looking saw i've ever seen.

Then we agree on that one point, mine may not be the best looking RA out there but the RA`s in general are the best looking chainsaws ever made, at least to my minds eye. From all angles of view they present beautiful curves.

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

Pioneerguy600

Jerry, this saw in particular reminds me strongly of the stylistic lines seen in some vintage motorcycles, and that's

just

plain

cool!

Thanks for posting the pics. :cheers:

There was a time, many years ago that style meant something, how did we ever advance to where we are today, I guess function won out over style. I have many dozens of picts of this particular saw, from the day I acquired it to its completion.

Pioneerguy600

Style, everything used to have style. Style and function together, not rare in Vintage chainsaws. This Remington will be one of the last to go, if it comes to that.

11-04-06007.jpg

11-04-06006.jpg

11-04-06005.jpg

Them Remingtons, many models of them were also very stylish, the 754, Log Master and GP were always favs of mine.
Pioneerguy600

Ken- Speaking of rare old birds, have you ever seen an Atlanta Saw Works T-80? The only place I've seen one is in the old ads in Chainsaw Age.

JJ - Not only have I never seen one... I'd never heard of one, until you mentioned it. Do you have any photos? - Ken

I've got two 'modified' 361's done by a couple of 'pro's' -- they are superb saws for the woods and with a pipe in friendly competition. And I'll probably never part with either one. BUT, the one that will never leave me is a 'late model' 026. I say late model, cause it has the same carb and air filter as the 260. I've probably bought at least 25 or 30, 026, 026 Pro, 260, 260 Pro saws off of eBay, fixed them up and sold them to local ranchers and friends. Plus worked on quite a few saws that belonged to friends. Each time I compare them to this one; and, none of them have out performed it with the same bar and chain. I have no explanation as to why its such a great saw; I think some just come off the assembly line better than others. Or maybe it was a particular production run at a particular plant. All I've done to it is modify the muffler. I run it with an 18" bar and 3/8" semi-skip square chisel chain. I use good gasoline and Mobil 2T Racing oil for my mixture at 50:1. It has downed, cut and limbed a lot of trees in the mountains of West Texas.

JJ - Not only have I never seen one... I'd never heard of one, until you mentioned it. Do you have any photos? - Ken

Ken-

I'll scan some ads I saved when I go home. Atlanta Saw Works made a lot of mid and large-sized models in the early-late 60's using the common industrial engines of that era- Power Products AH-58/81, H-82, West Bend 580/700/820, etc. They had some decent styling too.

The saw I will never get rid of

Mini Mac 32cc with a 16" bar. My wife bought it for me for an anniversary over 20 years ago. She picked it out herself( i'm impressed, she is clueless when it comes to mechanical stuff). the saw still runs great! I have cut sooo many cords with it. It starts 3rd pull every time(no kidding, every time) in any weather, and its seen it all, classic noreasters, ice storms, hurricanes, thunderstorms, twisters, heat waves( I won't do that again if I can help it).It was my best saw until,,,,,,, the end of last November I went to my cousins shop to clear out the back yard, he's into snowmobile racing and anything with a motor so I brought another mac,3516, to see if he could get it runnin right, anyway, I'm cuttin through 20" pine logs and the saw was struggling bad. He tapped me on the shoulder and says "try this one", He hands me a stihl 290. I could not believe how fast this thing was, man, you can really get some work done with this! I never ran a stihl before.
The next day I was using my favorite Mac(3rd pull) in my back yard and it was so slow I could stand it no more, I put it away and went on ebay and bought an 031AV and an 017 mini woodboss, won them both, didn't expect to. I got the 031 first, didn't start, plug wire broke, the 017 showed up the next day and started right up so I put it to work. It's a great saw, already faster than the mac, but I still wanted a bigger saw. It's kinda hard with a low budget. My wife would be so pissed off if she new how many saws I bought. I kept looking on ebay and finally won an 028 Super Woodboss in great shape. Now my Mini Mac just sits in it's case in the back of the shed. It will still start 3rd pull,,,no kidding.
That's my story and i'm stickin to it.

Amen, brother! I bought my Savage 99 .300, exactly as you describe, 30 years ago for $75 from the owner of a KOA campground who gave that for it to some poor broke guy traveling through, didn't know anything about the gun and didn't care... just wanted his $75 back out of it. It makes tight 3" patterns at 100 yards, open sight. I wouldn't part with it for love nor money. Ammo a little hard to find so I ordered a couple cases a few years ago. Only fire maybe 3-4 rounds a year...

As far as chainsaws go... My Root KeenKutter is the only one known to exist... anywhere. NFS
I happen to have two (2) Skarie Chain Lightening chainsaws. Only three (3) known to exist. Made in 1954-1955 by Skarie, Inc. in Baltimore, MD. Rare Birds!!!
I'd like to find a Mozwood...
I don't have any guns, but if I had saws that rare , I probably would:cheers:
Style, everything used to have style. Style and function together, not rare in Vintage chainsaws. This Remington will be one of the last to go, if it comes to that.

11-04-06007.jpg

11-04-06006.jpg

11-04-06005.jpg

I always thought those old remingtons had a lot of style too,Randy:agree2:
That oil cap looks like a briggs and stratton ?????

Thanks Chris
Pioneerguy600
Every time you put up a different picture of that saw, I like it more! A neighbor of mine has a pioneer 620 in his barn that I might try to buy and fix up, but I doubt it will look as good as any of yours. Nice old saws.
Mini Mac 32cc with a 16" bar. My wife bought it for me for an anniversary over 20 years ago. She picked it out herself( i'm impressed, she is clueless when it comes to mechanical stuff). the saw still runs great! I have cut sooo many cords with it. It starts 3rd pull every time(no kidding, every time) in any weather, and its seen it all, classic noreasters, ice storms, hurricanes, thunderstorms, twisters, heat waves( I won't do that again if I can help it).It was my best saw until,,,,,,, the end of last November I went to my cousins shop to clear out the back yard, he's into snowmobile racing and anything with a motor so I brought another mac,3516, to see if he could get it runnin right, anyway, I'm cuttin through 20" pine logs and the saw was struggling bad. He tapped me on the shoulder and says "try this one", He hands me a stihl 290. I could not believe how fast this thing was, man, you can really get some work done with this! I never ran a stihl before.
The next day I was using my favorite Mac(3rd pull) in my back yard and it was so slow I could stand it no more, I put it away and went on ebay and bought an 031AV and an 017 mini woodboss, won them both, didn't expect to. I got the 031 first, didn't start, plug wire broke, the 017 showed up the next day and started right up so I put it to work. It's a great saw, already faster than the mac, but I still wanted a bigger saw. It's kinda hard with a low budget. My wife would be so pissed off if she new how many saws I bought. I kept looking on ebay and finally won an 028 Super Woodboss in great shape. Now my Mini Mac just sits in it's case in the back of the shed. It will still start 3rd pull,,,no kidding.
That's my story and i'm stickin to it.

LOL. I knew somone would have a mini mac story. Nothing wrong with a mini, it did what you wanted it to for 20 years. And now you got 4 good saws.:clap::clap:

Back