What's this saw worth (stihl ms 200)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike from Maine

Read that the ms362 is awesome!!!
Reaction score
New here, long time lurker.

I have an ms200, no not a top handle but the rear handle version. Runs good and is in fairly good condition cosmetically. There is one broken fin to the left of the muffler. Otherwise in great shape.

I just picked up an 026 and don't really see much of a need for the ms200 anymore. I see the top handle versions going for good money on fleabay. Not sure what the rear handle does to the value? I'd prefer to sell or trade it locally just not sure what a good price would be.

Hope this is an appropriate topic, otherwise flame away.

Last edited:
Go back and search the recent MS200T thread about one bringing big $ on e-Bay. There were one or two people looking for a rear handled version (perhaps JJ?).

Not sure what happened...

Tried to fix the link to the pics in my original post. But it disappeared?

Anyways I'm considering selling my rear handle ms200. It runs great. Hasn't seen a ton of use and is in fair to good condition cosmetically. I have a 026 which I love. Not sure I need to keep both.

I saw the like new ms 200 on eBay go for over 600 which got me thinking. And one in worse condition go for ~400. I could buy a 361/2 or 440 which I'd probably use more.

I see the top handles go for what I consider big money. Are the rear handles sought after?
I'll try the pics again.

Guess a mod had to ok my post. And since I edited it had to be re ok'd.

Anyways here's another pic

EbRpo5X.jpg

Just my opinion but I think your going to regret getting rid of that 200.

Last edited:
I've been looking for awhile now for a rear handle 200. They show up on ebay from time to time and bring ridiculous money. I'm not not gonna pay $400-$600 for a used one, which is why i dont have one. It will definitely sell on ebay if you choose that route. Good luck.

I end up running one of my MS200's up into pretty good size wood and then switch to an 046, rather than screw around with anything in between. PM sent.

MS200x4.jpg

Just my opinion but I think your going to regret getting rid of that 200.

It wasn't too long ago I was rocking a rancher 55 and 029s along with a poulan pro, lol. Though I had access to my brothers bigger saws. But as a landscaper he needed them when he needed them.

Figured I needed a bigger saw of my own and was looking at maybe a 372 or 440. Dealer made me a great deal on a 660 with extras for less money, so why not... Then a mild case of cad kicked in and now I have a 200, 026, 361 and 660.

I'm not an arborist and don't do any tree work. But I do have an aerial lift for construction. And sometimes have to cut a few small branches for access. But usually use a hand saw. I bought the 200 as a package with a 361. Mostly to get a better deal. Not sure it would see enough use to justify keeping. I suppose I could keep it in storage 13+ years and give it to my now 2 year old to learn on.

But 400+ is tempting. :confused:

I end up running one of my MS200's up into pretty good size wood and then switch to an 046, rather than screw around with anything in between. PM sent.

MS200x4.jpg

Like you, I prefer to run a small, light saw when wading into a tree top, limbing etc. As much as I had admired the MS200 for its compact size and lightweight, I never could get past the price. Instead, I bought a Makita/Dolmar 401, and then a 2nd, and another...at less than 9# for the powerhead, and cuts like a stock 026 after a muffler mod/retune!

Last edited:
Back