What's up with Stihl:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Mange:

As far as I can tell the hose cover Fish has should work. He's going to list it on Ebay, so will watch it. Also got an email from out west and the fellow says that he can try to order the cover through his local dealer to see if it's available. Told him to see if it was available and would go from there. OK, talk later. Lewis.

Hose on ebay:

Well. looks like the hose on ebay is too large @ 15/16". Mine measures 7/8". Fish, Thanks for trying to help. Lewis.

Lewis....Quit your sniveling and handle it! If somebody really has this in stock make some phone calls and get the part, unless your to tight to pay for the calls. LJS

Woodie003 said:
Reading through this thread I had to wonder: Does Stihl sell more Pro saws or more Homeowner saws? I certainly understand dealers giving Pros good service. But should it be any different for any other customer? With all the competition out there, shouldn't Stihl be concerned with taking care of everyone who comes through the door? I am not a pro, but I try to buy the best I can afford which took me to Stihl in the first place. And isn't my time just as valuable? Quibbling over jusristiction for parts is ridiculous! What is it costing the company in the end? Bad press goes a long way.
David,

This is not a matter of whether the saw in question was a "pro" or a "homeowner" saw.&nbsp; The only reason "pros" were mentioned was regarding the hypothetical question of what they would think if <i>they</i> encountered such a situation.

I wouldn't be too alarmed to ultimately learn that this part is indeed <i>not</i> available, but is instead being shown as so due to an error in record-keeping.

Right on, Dennis!

Glen

Just maybe everyone is missing the gents point.He is attempting to restore this saw in a totally ,as built condition.In doing so,he is using all Stihl new old stock.It is a time consuming thing to do.Some think it's silly,but will travel the country looking for nos '57 T-Bird parts,or '55 Chevy parts.What's the difference,just the size . Not everyone wants to build a 500cc Honda hotsaw.What name for that,"hotsaw nerd"?I am not as in detail as Lewis,on my saws,but those old John Deeres are stone stock,right down to the white face gauges,with the exception of the stainless steel stack."Tractor nerd",maybe? Someone totaly and completely en-rapt in the all mighty infallibility of Stihl products, and the company in general,"Stihl nerd",perhaps.It would appear to me,that all people fall into some category of nerd-ism.Isn't it great we are all a bit different.

Replies to threads:

I could reply to a posting on this thread in a negative, hostile way, but will not stoop to that level. See enough of that already on this site. I'm trying to make a point, if you don't like it,don't follow the thread or block it and my name if you want.

Thanks AL. for your resopnce and support in this matter. The saw was bought by my fater in the winter of 1965- Spring of 1966. He had it till he died in 1982. My brother aquired the saw and has used it all this time for cutting his firewood and cleaning up his woodlot. He maintaind the saw, took it to the dealer for service and tuneup work and the saw is still in great shape. A nerd, somewhat. A perfectionalist, maybe. A sentamental fool , probably, but the saw finally is being restored to my satisfaction. I've gotten emails from a few and want to thank them for their offers and suggestions. I finally have the parts coming for the saw. Some through a dealer, some from ebay and the handle cover is on order from the Intermountain People with some help and should be on its way in a week or so, again not much help from the Stihl supply system, because of their own querks. I'll be sure to post some pics of the saw and my collection thus far once I get the decals done and on the saw. Everyone take care. Lewis. Now I'll quit sniveling.

Lewis, I still have a problem with the fact that you will NEVER buy a new Stihl saw because you had trouble getting one part for a 40 year old saw. BTW, I know you wouldn't buy ANY new saw at this point as you are having too much fun with the antiques. I admire the attention to detail that you put into your saws and your determination to solve very tough problems in getting them running. If your brother had purchased a new 044 or 046 I would have no doubt that any parts he might need would be available long after he retires from using a chainsaw.

I believe Lewis is stating he will not buy another Stihl saw because of the treatment he receives from their "customer service" focused business organization, not because of a part for a 40 year old saw...

Buying saws:

Hi Paul. Good to hear from you. Back in the day I considered buying a Sthil saw. But then as now thought they were just too expencive for what I wanted to do (must be the Scottish heritage). Still feel that your just paying for the Stihl name. Yes I enjoy tinkering and restoring my old saws. As you can see from the pics. I will never need to buy a saw for what I need to do now. Have too many old ones to choose from to use. When we were in Boonville last year, my brother wanted an 044 Mag. If the Stihl people had been set up to accept credit cards he would have purchaced one from them. But they weren't and we looked at Husky. He talked to the Stihl people and the Husky people and others that were around the display booths and weighed what they had to say. I told him about the threads that were posted on this site, reguarding non adjustable carbs and bar oiling problems with some of the new Shihl saws. He asked various questions and came to his own conclusion about getting the Husqvarna 372XP. One dealer here handles both Shihl and Husqvarna saws and he called them and talked to them from Boonville also. He likes the 372XP and is glad he bought it. He's cut a lot of wood using that saw and is amazed at what she'll do and feels it will last him for as long as he wants to cut his own wood. We'll have to see what the parts availability will be, say in 10 to 15 years for both saws. I think he's planning on getting a few extra parts to keep on hand in case he needs them, such as air filters, clutch drums and rims and bearings, fuel filters, plugs etc. Who knows where the saw business will be in 10 or 15 years with the EPA sticking there nose into everything. Saws we know today will be probably replaced with 4 stoke saws. Who knows. OK, talk later. Lewis.

Lewis Brander said:
The saw was bought by my fater in the winter of 1965- Spring of 1966. He had it till he died in 1982. My brother aquired the saw and has used it all this time for cutting his firewood and cleaning up his woodlot. He maintaind the saw, took it to the dealer for service and tuneup work and the saw is still in great shape.

Lewis-
39 years of use and still going? You are correct, those Stihl's are overpriced if that is all the life you can expect out of them. I can't see how anybody could justify one of them :)

Well now,about price!In terms of todays money,and compared to yesterdays prices,Stihl is not over priced.I am mainly a collecter of large Macs,but they were pricey,in the day.An example,is a pro Mac 610,that sold,unless on sale,for around $250.I know my grandmother paid over $200,in the early 60's for a Mac 250 .As far as long life,it depends on how well they are taken care of,no matter what make.An 088,or ms880,is over a thou,but what would the price have been for super pro 125Mac or 2100 Homey.I would say,figuring in inflation,that todays prices,are in reality,cheaper than yesterdays.Gee wiz Glen,I had to agree with you,I hate when that happens. :)

I understand Lewis feelings very well. I to would be bummed if i was told there was a item but I could not get it for various reasons.

As to prices of saws today, I think we pay more than in the old days if you look at life expectancy. I would really want to see the 357 that still runs 40 years from now. The parts simply are not constructed to last long.

Those of you who do not get the point of restoring or collecting saws, really do not have to read more of this, I think the mindset is a bit different in a collector. It is not just a item that is tossed off after 2000hrs, it is a piece of history, to be preserved as the collector see fit.

I have many times been promised parts both from dealers and persons that did not come throu, for all kinds of reasons. This is just how some are.

If you run the numbers, MOST consumer items like refrigerators, TV sets, chainsaws and power tools are relatively cheaper today than back when. However, cars, housing, education and health care, along with taxes unfortunately take relatively MORE out of your paycheck today.

...so after your house is paid off, your too old to drive and your done book learning, you can buy all the chainsaws you want unless you get sick!! :)

Dave

Newer saws:

Actually I might consider one of those newer saws with the stratified intake system, reed valves, better lower end torque and less max rpm's. Sounds like the saw might last longer, like the older ones that are still going. I don't keep up on all the newer saw stuff, but this may just work. OK, my house is paid for, I got all the edumication I'm going to get. my vehicals are almost paid fo, I don't drive (legally blind), I'm not presently sick, my taxes, gasoline cost, natural gas, water, sewer and everything are gong up, I'm on a fixed income, but I do have my life, wife, health, kids and a few toys. So I'm not complaining much, except for locating parts that I''m told are definately in stock, as per part number, and the dealer can't order them. Can you say you've never been purturbed by anything. Thanks for all the comments, and taking part in this thread. Just trying to make a point. Saws will last a long time with proper maintainence and care and longer if the parts are available for them. Just want the new saw buyers to make sure to look at the service package they should expect to get (now or 10 years down the road) when purchasing a new saw, what ever it is. Here Stihl and Husqvarna are good saws. You have the box store saws also, but where's the service on them. I do hold a higer degree of respect for the better made saws, but expect a higher degree of service from them in return. OK, Talk later. Lewis.

I liked Ed Asnwer in "Lou Grant" and "El Dorado". Like I might have said earlier, that
handle bar material might be available in a lot of places, as one part number might
be for the cut length piece, and another for the bulk roll. But I can digress as well......................

Cheaper?

woodshop said:
If you run the numbers, MOST consumer items like refrigerators, TV sets, chainsaws and power tools are relatively cheaper today than back when. However, cars, housing, education and health care, along with taxes unfortunately take relatively MORE out of your paycheck today.

...so after your house is paid off, your too old to drive and your done book learning, you can buy all the chainsaws you want unless you get sick!! :)

Dave

Woodchop. I love the first part of your quote. You hit the nail right on the head and your so right, I have to agree with you. " Most consumer items like ---, chainsaws,-------- are relitivelly cheaper. I'll say they are. They are built cheaper. The quality of most products has fallen off. Plastic crankcase, shoruds and what have you. But that fits into todays throw away society. Buy it, use it, something happens, throw it away. The quality today isn't there. That's part of the reason I say they're over priced and your paying for the name. Today quality, longevity on most produts is questionable on just what you might expect to get out of it. Sears was mentioned. My first Washer/Dryer set up lasted me 20 years. I replace a belt and a timer. Bought a new set 5 years ago and have had more problems with this set and they are supposed to be the heavyduty. large capcity models. Sears has taken care of me, but I don't expect to get 20 years out of them. Back then, kids were home, I had plenty of greasy clothes to wash, just more wash for the washer to do. Now it's just the wife and I. Older cars, people kept them for say 4-8 years. Now, what, get rid of it before the warrenty is up so that you might get more on a trade in. I think I've made my point on some of what I'm trying to say. You expect more from the better named products you pay for, better quality and service for what your paying for, but if you look close, can you really say its there. You're right things are made cheaper today, good point. I'm not an economist, but the way I look at things is the cost is going up for everything you own. Inflation figured into the price or not. But even for the same price paid years ago the quality to me has fallen off. Hopefully someone will step in and fill the void. Whether its a chainsaw, refridgerator or what have you. Eveyone take care. Lewis.

Lewis, I agree to a point. Notice I never said in my post that the QUALITY is better in todays products, just that cost of such items is relatively cheaper. Actually in some areas the quality IS better because they are using more high tech materials that last longer, as in car engines that regularly go 100K without major maintenance. When I was a kid most engines needed a tuneup every 20K and valve job every 40K. But cars didn't cost the equivalent of two years pay either, so were actually cheaper in long run. Alas... as with many subjects on this forum, there are just too much variables to make generalized statements. Yes I agree that planned obsolescence is reaching plague proportions for lots of things. There are exceptions up the whazoo though. Subject is far far from black and white.

Back