what's wrong with this Stihl 070 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it maintain that high idle if left in the nose down attitude? I suspect your just dumping pooled fuel into the cylinder.

that could be possible, but it doesn't run rich at all and the high idle doesn't stop unless the saw is held horizontal

Is the tank full with mix? Check the fuel hose it might be split where it joins the elbow connector.

Pooled fuel being displaced would cause the saw to load up/stall.

Is the tank full with mix? Check the fuel hose it might be split where it joins the elbow connector.

Pooled fuel being displaced would cause the saw to load up/stall.

+1,..that saw is running lean when tipped forward, check out your fuel line , check to see where the end of thre fuel line and filter is positioned, it might be hung up at the rear of the tank allowing air to enter when the fuel rushes away from it when the saw is tilted forward.

+1,..that saw is running lean when tipped forward, check out your fuel line , check to see where the end of thre fuel line and filter is positioned, it might be hung up at the rear of the tank allowing air to enter when the fuel rushes away from it when the saw is tilted forward.

thanks pioneerguy and jdnicol, but i've already replaced the fuel lines hoping to eliminate the high idle problem. no luck but i will look at the filter inside maybe it is indeed hung up.

thanks pioneerguy and jdnicol, but i've already replaced the fuel lines hoping to eliminate the high idle problem. no luck but i will look at the filter inside maybe it is indeed hung up.

Keep working on and looking for some reason for the engine to run lean, its not getting enough fuel when tipped forward. Did you rebuild your carb?

Have you owned the saw long? Has it always done it or is it a recent occurence?

Am I wrong or did they build a 070 with a/v. I'm thinking 090 av

According to the IPL I have for the 070 they had both styles of AV. The earlier style like the OP's and the later style with the modern looking rear handle.

Regards

Phil

thanks for all the help guys,

brought the saw to the local shop to get the crank seals replaced. hope that solves the problem if not i'll rebuild the carburetor

hello steffen,

i have had the crank seals replaced, but then i had an issue with the starter pawls not engaging the starter. since then i have been very busy and haven't had time to look into the saw. i am currently rebuilding 2 stihl 026C pro's. when i fix the issue i will post it here. i also plan to mount a 090 cylinder and piston to make this a milling saw.

greetings mark

Back