whats your angle of attack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
im talking chains u use to cut every day hardwood. i like 20-30 degrees, what do the pro cutters think?

Cletuspsc

Cletuspsc

ArboristSite Operative
I just go with the factory angles i guess dono what they are. i dont think i have ever really checked what angles im filling at. I think its very easy for a lot of people to over think filling. the best think to do is to experiment with different angles till ya find what works best for you.

Jacob J.
It depends highly on the type of chain and the application. Long bars (32" to 42" +) in softwood with square-ground 3/8ths chisel seem to do well with a 22 degree top plate, 0 degree rise, and depth gauges set at .025". Short bars in hardwoods with round filed 3/8ths chisel seem to do well with a 30 degree top plate angle, 10 degree rise, and depth gauges set .035".

I run really long bars in softwood (42" +) with square chisel at 20 degrees top plate angle, 5 degrees rise, and depth gauges set at .020".

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
It depends highly on the type of chain and the application. Long bars (32" to 42" +) in softwood with square-ground 3/8ths chisel seem to do well with a 22 degree top plate, 0 degree rise, and depth gauges set at .025". Short bars in hardwoods with round filed 3/8ths chisel seem to do well with a 30 degree top plate angle, 10 degree rise, and depth gauges set .035".

I run really long bars in softwood (42" +) with square chisel at 20 degrees top plate angle, 5 degrees rise, and depth gauges set at .020".
now you are talkin some good scents:)

Zackman1801

Zackman1801

ArboristSite Guru
file to the angles on the chain. I cant really usually tell what im going to be cutting at the beginning of the day, sometimes i run into hardwoods while felling, sometimes its all softwoods, so i just use one angle and go with it, might take a little longer in some places but im not going to sit down and file every time i need to cut a hardwood, but i know thats not what your implying anyways.

Ax-man

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
35 degrees with square chisel chain for saws that are basically being used in hardwoods to top out a tree. 35 degrees gives a little faster cut than the lesser angles. Which is why I like to see saws that work in the top half of the tree with a 35 degree angle. This area in the tree is where speed is important if your in the tree service business. I don't worry about that square chisel dulling down to quick because your cutting smaller diameter clean wood with no tramp metal as a rule nor is there dirt embedded in the bark.

For saws that have to deal with the lower half of the tree 25 to 30 degrees with semi chisel chain is a good working angle in hardwoods. The reason for switching angles and chain profile is these saws are going to encounter more bigger wood, dirt , metal, ect. with the stump cut being the worst cut of all. 30 degrees seems to perform well and keeps those saws going.

Depth gauge setting at .025 - .027 Much more than that they get a little to grabby for my taste.

Larry

Last edited:

Latest posts