What's your favourite smallest handy chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut4fun said:
Been using a Poulan 2000 since bought new in 1994 for $99. Replaced one coil module and thats it. Weighs 7.8LBS and 33cc, cant beat for homeowner duties in my book. Lets see value, $99 X 12 years = pretty good to me.

I know what you mean. The wife bought me a Poulan 2150 eight years ago for Christmas, I've used the crap out of that saw and it's never let me down.... Runs even better after I did a muffler mod (I was bored):cheers:

I carry an 009 in the trunk of the car most of the time. It got me out of a jam one time when there was a blowdown blocking the road (small pine big enough that I could not have driven over or around), of course if I needed more than one tank of fuel I would have been out of luck.

I guess I asked an open-ended question...all depends on what you want. I realy like the small Stihls (MS260). We used a small Echo a while back, think it was the CS330T, was brand new and super light. Good saw. Years ago I saw a climber using a Poulan and asked why he liked those. He said "Cause if you drop it from up there, you an't lost much. Good reasoning.

Ms 192 T

I bought the STIHL MS 192 T a couple of months ago. VERY IMPRESSIVE! Fast, light, can use with one hand, dependable and best of all....IT'S A STIHL!!! Can't ask for more than that. An outstanding all around saw. I used the Echo top handle saw for about a year (CS341 I think). It was a good dependable saw but it would take twice as long to make a cut because the STIHL is at least twice as fast. Speed! Speed! Speed!

MS 200, no doubt for me, for its superb power/weight ratio :clap: . I've added a used Husky 242 xp to my small collection which is also an astonishing powerfull little saw, but it is significantly 'heavier' than a MS200.

We got a Poulan 2100 and 2105, just right for small stuff and have had the heck run out of them, sure have got the big ones out of trouble from time to time. We have got more than expected out of the little Poulans.
:monkey:

Dolmar 401 is smaller than the ms260 however it is a good light saw. Also some saws to look at are the Redmax 3800 and 4000 also the Dolmar ps 34 for the money.

Anybody in here remember the little tiny COX chainsaw? Looked like it sholud come with a holster it's so small. Yes, COX, the same outfit that made model cars and planes.

50:1 said:
I bought the STIHL MS 192 T a couple of months ago. VERY IMPRESSIVE! Fast, light, can use with one hand, dependable and best of all....IT'S A STIHL!!! Can't ask for more than that. An outstanding all around saw. I used the Echo top handle saw for about a year (CS341 I think). It was a good dependable saw but it would take twice as long to make a cut because the STIHL is at least twice as fast. Speed! Speed! Speed!
One handed use is very bad, do you not know this?

Echo 3450 is super light, even compared to Stihl 170/180 which I like alot. This little echo has surprising torque which I just can't figure it out in such a small/light package. Lots of hours on this saw (probly 150, most of those hours used by younger family members while I supervised) and seems to impress every time I grab it myself for some trimming. Now if I could only have one saw...but that's a different question.

I like my old Pioneer/Partner 5000plus with 16" narrow kerf bar. Screamer and light weight. Excellent limber.

Zee

One handed

clearance said:
One handed use is very bad, do you not know this?

In the hands of an idiot yes. This is an arborist saw made for up in a tree one handed use by a seasoned user. Watch where you put your hands. Watch wear you put the bar. Plan each move. When you get comfortable you get careless. If you can't do this you need to buy a rear handle saw and leave the top handle to the CAREFUL RESPONSIBLE professional. Same principal applies to the bow bars. They aren't marketed now because too many idiots was careless and got their face sliced. My dad has ran a bow bar on his homelite xl-12 since 1972 and never had a problem. Why? Careful and responsible and didn't let his guard down. He kept in mind his responsiblity to keep himself in working order so he could continue providing for his family. One handed is not "very bad". Carelessness is.

Can't answer that since I'm still in search of a (very) small saw, but I definitely
recommend AGAINST a Poulan 110. The thing was way too many recurring problems to list here. Its only good attribute was real light weight. Have seen good remarks in this forum about Stihl 180.

RaisedByWolves said:
Stihl 015.

I use it one handed all the time with no problems.

If Im feelin sporty I might even do a Knack knack or two.:)

If you want to impress me, get two, lock the throttles and juggle them. Trust me, I will be impressed no matter the results.

Damn, I must have something better to do on a Friday night..:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Canadian saw

Hey I have always used the Skil 1612 saw, for it's compact size, durability and guts. It is very lightweight which is good for one handed acrobatics! It isn't the easiest saw to replace the chain on and it's plastic handle is suspect but the lightweight metal case coveres the guts perfectly! It is like a trainer plane for amateur fliers!

Latest posts

Back