What's your favourite smallest handy chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My smallest is a Husqvarna 55. Not really a "small" saw, but plenty nimble for my use. My dad has an MS180 that seems to work really well with a a narrow kerf chain. The Stihl 241 seems like a solid little chainsaw too.

i paid $69 AUS thats 50 bucks US for this. and its snapping at the heals of a modded 192T. it has the same mods as the 192T. sure it probably wont last as long. but shes a little ripper for the money.

As far as I understand they are a copy of the Zenoah 2500, so at least the ancestors are good!
http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/products/chainsaws/g2500t/

Mine is a Zenoah in Oleo Mac (Oelo Mac GS260) colors. I did a comparison vid a few years back when it was brand new(first filling).

As far as I understand they are a copy of the Zenoah 2500, so at least the ancestors are good!
http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/products/chainsaws/g2500t/

Mine is a Zenoah in Oleo Mac (Oelo Mac GS260) colors. I did a comparison vid a few years back when it was brand new(first filling).

Yeah it's a generic Chinese saw.
7, open up the muffler and a standard chain of a 192t 3/8P
Much faster and smoother. No chattering. [emoji106]

Stihl 015R Top Handle saw from the late 70s. Use it often in the shop. 32cc I think? Has a little bar, maybe 12". Handy for cutting up stuff to fit in the stove.

Shindaiwa 352s. Light, metal case, punches above its weight power wise, smooth and 100% reliable. Compared to a couple of small totally rubbish Huskies, and a pathetic plastic Echo 310 I've owned, this wee Shinny is gold. When its time for this to expire, I won't even look at another saw, I'll get another small Shinny.

I ran a husky 550 this week after I showed the guy how to sharpen it.. not a cheap saw, but a nice nimble 50cc saw... unless it's VERY occasional use, or very intensive light duty use (climbing saw for arborists) that you want a top handle saw for.. it looks like it would fit the bill nicely..
A stihl 028WB seems to be a nice smaller saw as well, I got one that's waiting on some restoration.. unlike many older stihls it doesn't feel like a cinderblock with a handle.

Was at an estate sale today and they had a Poulan 1800 with a tiny bar on it. About 8-10 inches. It looked so cute I almost bought it but for $25 it was too much...

I also saw a bucket of mystery Poulan with a worn out bow bar at a different sale. I think it was a 3400 but it was completely disassembled. They wanted $15 for that which was about $12 too much. If the bar was good, I would have snagged it. The bow was kaput but had all the guards. Pretty small bow.

I hadn't had any wood to test my saws on for quite some time but a buddy of mine brought me several loads this week so I tried them all out the last three days. The Stihl 031 that I changed over from points to solid state ran very well...for about a minute and quit on me--no spark! I guess it's back to the drawing board on it. Very impressed with all my Husqvarna saws, especially the 346XP and the 362XP, very strong unmodified saws. My older American saws were slow running compared to them but I expected that. I had a Craftsman 3.4 which is a solid runner but slow also, as was my Super XL. The Stihl MS250 did real well and did better than I figured it would. Now I'm running low on wood again as well as energy...

I will put in a vote for the 242xp. It is nice and light to carry around and trim brush and saplings. 15,500 rpm is fun.

Back