what's your favourite wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's everybody's favourite wood, based on appearance, workability, cutability whatever? I don't get exposed to much of the hardwoods out west here, such as black walnut...but I've seen some nice stuff...but overall my favourite wood is yellow cedar...its creamy yellow colour and smell is like no other..

for hardwoods... pecan

softwoods - lodgepole pine (soon to be replaced by doug fir - whenever i get to cut one)

Short of big Dougs and Spruce, big Alder is my favorite. Always on your toes and thinking. Lots of energy trapped in them alder, you had better be on your game or your day will go south in a fast hurry. Only down side is the mess and stained clothes when the job is done.

Not much here for anything else here either. We had one cherry patch to deal with, that was different and kinda fun looking back on it. Those seemed really brittle and spooky to me though tops breaking out on the way down and shattering when they hit, even when everything goes the way it was planned.

Owl

For falling - doug-fir and spruce....for looks - western larch, poderosa pine...for smell - red / yellow cedar...and yes..lodgepole pine.

Lodgepole--Pinus Contorta. It is the Rodney Dangerfield of trees. Gets no respect, but is useful for so many things, and it grows like a weed in the right places. And even I can drop it!

My favorite wood is the logs on the truck headed for the mill. For cutting I like doug fir. For milling I like PO cedar.

Lodgepole pine in 1998 - Ten years after the '88 fires of Yellowstone

800px-Lodgepole_pine_Yellowstone_1998_near_firehole.jpg

around here for hardwood its got to be Red Oak, cuts easy and its usually all pretty straight.
for softwood, Eastern White pine. Cuts really easy and thats what all the mills want so it sells.

I like cutting red oak clean big white oak and walnut . Cherrys not bad either but they dont get much over 14'' around here. I like the look of cherry the best.

hard

For me its.......

Hardwood- Beech, poplar, Red oak & white oak

Softwood- Hemlock, tamarack(larch), white pine

:greenchainsaw:

Incense Cedar because you can do so many different things with it...fence posts, rails, lumber, cabinetry, and it's easy to cut and split. Smells good, too.

But it's still my second choice...right behind old growth Redwood. We have fence rails made out of redwood that were split when my father was a boy.

All of them!!!
I cannot say there is a wood that I do not like.
I will add Myrtlewood and Madrone for the Hardwoods.
If I have to narrow it down on the softwoods, it would have to be the Cedar and Redwood families.

Give me a nice big straight scarlet oak and Im happy. Aint nothing like the smell of oak.

Cedar!

"I love the smell of fresh cut Cedar in the morning!"

I also like to have a piece or two of cedar to get my woodstove going. Starts quickly and burns hot. Gets the other stuff going...

Back