When did you run your first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I Can't really remember but I had to be around 10 or so. And now looking back on it I was really to young to be running it. The reason I'm asking is my son is just over 2 and absolutley loves them, I'm gonna have several hard years explaining to him that he is to young and will have to wait, Dads with younger kids are or when are you letting them run them. And no I'm not thinking of letting him run one anytime soon.

i was 13 or so. My dad used to always say "I cant wait till your old enough to run this". he never wanted to let me cut so one day while he was at work i gave it a try.

I was 8 also, of course with help from pop & dad. Ran a homelite 150 (blue) and an old poulan, dont remember that one much..mostly the splitter operator though. Remember making beer runs for a .25 each, by the end of the day I was rich and blew every pennie on candy at the local store the next day...Man i miss the old days!!

I was about 13. Farmer I worked for burned wood . 1073 pioneer,wore completely slap out. I thought I should have my own saw since we burned at home too,so I saved up 99 bucks and went to town and got me a mini-mac. I was only a kid and I knew it was a POS when I bought it ,but I only had that much money..lol . Didnt keep it very long before I traded for a new 1074 pioneer.I dont know where I got the money? Seems to me the pioneer was 149 bucks .God I loved that pioneer saw, 14'' bar ,no A/V, tougher than boiled owl.The good old days for sure..................:clap:

Oh,,,I maybe ran my first at about 13 or so,,,,hard to remember,,,,,,,,,I loved to hear the saws run at the saw shop just down the street and I hung out there,,,,the owner took a liking to me and started having me take apart old saws to be refurbished. At first I did it just for fun, but then after a few weeks he started to pay me a little bit. Then he hired me for $1.25 an hour,,,, cash. That is the first time I really was taught to run a saw. The owner of the shop was almost like a second father to me,,,,,,he taught me many,,many things about saws and life.

Up until then, my Dad and Grandpa used a bucksaw to cut firewood,,,,,and of course I helped out cutting, loading, and splitting by hand. Then, Dad bought his first chainsaw, a used but good 040 Stihl.

Now, Dad is 85, still burns the wood that I cut for him every summer. He can still get to the basement to feed the fire, but laments that he cannot help me with the cutting and splitting. It is an honor for me to do it for him!

I was 9 years old and ran a Pioneer RA, actually the one in the pict below.

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

Pioneerguy600

MY first saw, 14. Smashed it to smithereens the beginning of the second tank of fuel.

A saw, somewhat before that. 11 or 12.

i too would say around age 13, the saw was a mac pm320, i remember that because we bought it new when we had just had our fireplace installed and when we bought the saw i think i studied the owners manual for weeks, then after a year or two i remember we bought a homelite super xl, when i got hold of that after the pm320 i thought i was the coolest cutting with that

Age 14- brand new Stihl 028. None of my uncles would let me run theirs so I just went and bought my own with hay money. They did not want to be responsible for me getting hurt!! LOL!!! I learned on my own.

2Door

About 10. Dad got an old Homelite XL and had me start with branches on an x frame until I got a feel for wood.

15, Old Farmboss for a guy who sold firewood, learned how to cut wood that spring and summer.

Hec I think I was the ripe old age of 13-14. been markin splitting and stackin for years before. An old sachs-dolmar that ran pretty strong, at least it seemed tike it then:)

I was 35 years old :blush: ! I was a city boy that just arrived and started living in the country side. Definitely not the hardened born country fellow. Decided to build a stove (which I did from a 200 liter boiler), so I had to go and pickup my own firewood. I joined a friend that was pruning apple and he let me use the farm's Echo 3400. At the time it as a "devil's machine" that little toy and I was really afraid I would hurt my self or destroy the chainsaw. Since than I've learned not to work but dance with the chainsaw and now I am dreaming for the day I will get the Stihl 460, the Solo 681, the Dolmar 7900, the Stihl 066, the.........

11. Nt shure what saw,Im shure it was a stihl. Probably about 40cc limbing,not something anybody else wanted to do... Split and spotted for my dad and grandpa way before that.

Latest posts

Back