When did you run your first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 29 and it was a 46 cc troy built that I bought at Canadian Tire. I had a 40 foot ash that started leaning towards the house so I decided i would cut it down. I had no idea about what I was doing and I started to cut through it (Bob Villa style) when I thought "Now Marko, maybe this isn't a good idea, maybe you should have someone show you how to do it" and I stopped before I killed myself or the back of the house. Sometimes we are lucky in life

I was about 12 years old when i started cutting wood. I ran my dads craftsman special edition, it was a pretty cool saw at that time. I was 16 when i bought my first chainsaw which was an echo cs-360T, but now i own a echo-370 in its place. Before i started to cut wood i had to drag out the branches and logs and then stack them.:greenchainsaw:

my dad handed me the xl12 in 67 when I was 12. grew up cutting wood every summer.

snapped this pic from a buddys photo album last week.

his dad had a homelite shop and he is running a new model 17 here in 1954

he was 8 years old :)

CIMG0509.jpg

i think i was about 8 or 9 and it was a little bitty red remingto that was setting in my grandparents garage. i just had to try it. after i was yelled at for a while grandpa said if you want to mess with firewood heres the ax,,, get to bustin that stove wood. boy i miss that man, he was a real logger in the hand felling days. my style of logging would be way to easy for him to call it work.lol

I was probably 11 or 12, my dad let me use his pioneer partner p-39 to block some firewood. First tree I ever dropped was with my grandpa's pioneer p-28. As a young teen I liked to run that little saw because it barked real loud. :)

I was 12 years old when my dad handed me over his Pioneer/Partner P42HP. I'd been cutting firewood with him since I could walk on my own. Well we were adding on a section to my parents house. He handed the saw over to me and told me to drop the tree, buck it up for firewood, split and stack it. Funny thing is, 13 years later. I still have the same P42HP. Runs like a champ. :cheers:

my first saw if i recall was stihl. I was so young then i dont remeber anything else. I know the first saw that i went out and acutally bought was my 290. Matter of fact thats the only saw i have bought and i have 14 now:jawdrop:

well i can tell you all when i ran my first saw and that when i turn 14 years old .and then very first time i done it . i cut my big toe on my right foot down the middle and had to go to the er to have it sowed back together.and now on i watch what i do and what every one else is doin with a saw around me.

i was 8 years old , and told not to touch my dads saw , i rememberd it well..

my dad had gone into the house to take a dump! and seice all we do is burn wood i wanted to finish cutting up the 4ft wood we had , so i managed to start the old husky saw we had , and not knowing , how to run it well , and thankgod it was winter time here , thankgod for them heavy winterboots , i started to cut a log , got throught it all right , the saw was heavy and i held the throttle and cut throught log but also throught my boot! i managed to let go and jump back , i never got cut but was so close that i dont no why i wasent , but i did get rubed.

Dad came out screaming at me , he took my boot off , and the saw had cut between the big toe and the other toe , cut throught the sock , and only nicked the skin , but not cut it!

well i never touched the saws again till i was 14 that ended it !
And i spent half the winter that year inside when wood work came, sure i got outa work , but i never forgot it.

Thats a lesson i learned.

I remember it well, it was the same day I got to drive a truck, I was about 9 or 10. My dad and I were at my uncles house, which
was far enough outside the city I was allowed to drive, my dad cut down a few pine trees and let me make a few cuts, right before being demoted to splitter/ stacker. It was his stihl 028, same saw I have today!

The first time I ran a saw I was 13, it was a Craftsman, cutting firewood. Before I was allowed to even think of running a saw Dad made sure I knew how to service it and sharpen a chain properly. Spent alot of time limbing with an axe, stacking brush piles and firewood, soo by the time I was allowed to run a saw I really appreciated it. Of course there was no helmets, chaps, eye protection, ear muffs, but I lived through it all, and Dad was happy that he didn't have to cut all the firewood anymore.

Cheers
will

Running one solo? I was 12 or so. However, ever since I could walk dad would involve me. He would be bucking a big log, and he would hold the handlebars and let me pull the throttle. When driving his manual shift truck, he would let me change gears sometimes. I had a lot of fun with that. Before we had round bales, we had square. To feed cattle, he would start the pickup, put it in gear, and let me steer it through the pasture as he threw the hay out. Then I'd just turn the key off to kill it because I couldn't read the peddles.

Last edited:
I was 12/13 when my dad let me go at it with no supervision. My son is 5 and santa got him a chainsaw for Christmas (toy) and he was very excited the first thing out of his mouth when he unwraped it was "now i can help my dad" that brought tears to my eyes. last summer he was very intrested and kept getting a little too close while I was cutting. I stopped and asked if he wanted to try I let him run the throttle and fling a few chips while I held on to the handle and rear. and then shut it off and discussed about getting too close while dad was cutting, he understood that and when he needs my attention while Im cutting the comes to me by the side so that I can see him.

At about 12, I operated one end of a two-man crosscut saw. Dad kept it sharp and it was surprising how much wood you could cut.

I was 12 Dad had a 051 stihl. we always burned wood and for the most part we cut it using a buzz saw cutting slabs at My uncles circle mill but it was bad out and a tree had fell in our back yard and he let me run it a bit while he was cutting it up. Man did that saw seem big. it did not take me long to be worn out with it. Dad has worked the timber busyness off and on his whole life He just turned 76 yesterday and is in fair shape. I love this old man and he has taught me many many things in this life. May God bless you all and keep on sawing!!!!

First Saw

I was 12 when my father was offered a very used Lombard "Woodlot Wizard"for free. He laughed and refused. On the way home I pleaded with him to return and get it. He didn't think we needed that. After I swore to cut up the 8 cord of 4 foot stacked dry spruce slabs that was beside the barn did he relent. He picked it up on his way home from work the next day. I could hardly study in school that day I was so excited. "My own saw!!!" I didn't even know what a saw file was but that old thing burned its way slowly though those 8 cord with numerous pauses for repairs. What a beast 77cc. and I remember the throttle was operated by pushing down on a thumb lever with a triangular rear handle. It seemed smaller but weighed more than the 5-17 and 7-19 Homlites we had at the time. Ugly and heavy slow as could be, but it was "Mine":cheers:

I was 16. Up in the Bull Run Watershed east of Portland, Oregon. Was going to cut firewood, to make a few extra dollars. Had a deck of probably 50 trees that were left there after a clear cut. I had a used MAC that I bought from a saw shop in Sandy. Did not know much about the saw or what I should have been doing - just out there in the woods trying to cut fir with it. A logger saw me and I guess saw that I had no real idea of what I was doing and took some time to teach me a little about sharpening the chain.

Sure wish I had that deck of logs now.

Hal

About 12, Dad's 045 Stihl. Man was that thing hard to start. No drop starting that saw, I had to stand on it and pull as hard as I could. I guess thats why decomp buttons were invented. That saws still sitting in his garage today with the original 16" duromatic hard nose bar it came with on it, you can still clearly read the writing on the side of the bar. It's had less than a dozen tanks of fuel run throught it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back