When do you cut your firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGC4200

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It seems like the fall has been best in these parts, spring cut wood seems
to rot quicker due to rising sap. October, November & December work in these
parts, main problem, it conflicts with hunting seasons.

Whenever the opportunity coincides with my schedule. This year so far would be March (sycamore), June (maple), and August (dead maple).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There was a small apple tree in July as well, only made a small part of a pick up load.

Mark

Since I only have one or two days of snow a year, most of the wood I cut from October to April when temperatures are a bit lower. The Summer is too hot and unforgiven on machinery and operators with temperatures always above 35 ºC and frequently above 40 ºC and humidity rarely below 60%. It is very rare in my area to see firewood contractors cutting wood during the Summer.

Folklore in my area

I have always heard that hardwood sap rises in the spring & retreats in
the fall; fall cut wood lasts longer and burns better. From I have seen,
it seems to be true in my area, but it is just a small part of the world.

I have always heard that hardwood sap rises in the spring & retreats in
the fall; fall cut wood lasts longer and burns better. From I have seen,
it seems to be true in my area, but it is just a small part of the world.

Thats the truth my friend.

Also, if a locust tree is cut in mid summer for fencepost, it will rot within a couple years. If it's cut in winter, it will last for many years.

Sap in all the trees I have ever dealt with goes up in Summer and down in Winter. It does make better firewood if cut after the leaves have fallen. But that said, wood is wood and I cut it whenever I get a chance. But I usually go at it hard in fall/winter.

Sept. though May.

I'll enjoy the clouds of skeeters, ticks all over the place, poison ivy, and sweat soaked skivvys while doing the regular job.

LOL!!!
Never quite works out like I would prefer though, but I HATE splitting in the summer.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I usually cut something every month.
I prefer cutting when everything is frozen and then it generally hand splits easy on the spot. Solid ground is easiar for me to work and drive on and I dispise hot weather, especially humid as its been about 90% of this summer here. I prefer 0 degree weather to 90 degrees especially cutting wood.

Get it felled off the stump and out of the woods , Nov- March when the sap is down, cut it up and have it piled by the first of June. Always have at least 3 years burning ahead of time.
Pioneerguy600

October till March is the best time for me, but if I have to I will cut anytime. I don't like to cut in summer, to many ticks and mosquitoes.

Geoff.

:cheers:

In fall after the mosquitoes are gone from the first frost. Once the snow is all over everything I stop. So spring and Fall or I would cut a little all year round.

It is just beginning to warm up here in Oz and I will finish off my wood pile tomorrow. Oh yeah, the flies have just started coming back.

I cut year round as time & weather permit. I do cut any live standing stuff in the fall/winter time frame to avoid the rot issue if possible, & don't cut in the real hot humid weather. ie most of this summer. A C

As a wood scrounge, I cut whenever the opportunity for free wood comes around. That said, I will cut it, and get it back to my house in as big of pieces as I can manage, then wait for the prime weather (fall/spring) to finish bucking and splitting.

Back