When it goes wrong, ALL WRONG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya this thread died a long time ago and should just stay dead.

Yeah, let this one go back to the grave...
Besides, with summer just around the corner Tristan and I will be outside doing a ton of things together... and that means I'll certainly have another post that y'all can use to tell me what a terrible parent I am. :D I've been getting a butt-chewin' for that about every 5-6 months for that since I joined up here... so I'm due!!! :laugh:

Hmmmm..... Let's see now..... he just turned 4-years..... This should be the summer for either his first stitches or broken bone, can't remember which for sure (my oldest is 24 now).... I'm leanin' towards stitches... thinkin' the broken bone comes at year 5. :D

Whitespider, I think I can comment on this thread on a couple of fronts.

I'm nearly 48 yrs old and have a 5 year old son. Not QUITE as ambitious as you, but nonetheless. :msp_tongue: My son wants to tag along with me EVERYWHERE. I'm sure yours is the same. Mom likes for him to tag along for obvious reasons, and I enjoy it MOST of the times. I have nearly 200 acres that is a giant playground for my family. When I jump on the quad (a 680 Rincon) to go out and buck or trailer rounds that I''ve already bucked, he drives the quad with me sitting behind him and at the ready. When bucking, I always make sure he is at a more than safe distance. BUT, when I know I'm going out and have to FELL trees, and many are dead standing Elm, he stays home. I have had life-altering wake-up calls on my own and want him to be no part of that experience. My "technique" has changed quite a bit after one particular harrowing experience. I ALWAYS back off, I ALWAYS have a clear route out, and my eyes are ALWAYS trained on that tree til it hits the ground and then some. Thinking back to my more invincible days, I can't believe I've done some of the things I've done.

A few years back, there was a retired PGH Steeler that lived near me. He died trying to save his Lab after it ran into "the zone" while he was felling a tree.

I'm not perfect fer sure. I have the scars to prove that I still suck at limbing downed trees. :msp_mellow: But please, have mom keep the boy, any other youngins, and even the dogs, attended to when you go out to fell a tree. It only takes a second fer sure. I'm sure that was a monster wake-up call for you. BE SAFE.

I am new to the forum here so this thread is new to me.
So glad you or your son were not injured Whitespider.

In 1970 my father was pushing down some dead 50 footers around the property of the new house that he was building for us.
I was 6 or 7 yrs old, and while he was bulldozing I was out in the field nearby checking things out.
Well, I wandered too close and he felled a dead tree just as I was bending over looking at a fuzzy cacoon.
The tree grazed the top of my skull hard enought to knock me out for four hours.
Of course being the hard assed old school farmer guy he was, he just took me home and layed me out to wake up later, which i did.
Could have ended up a lot worse!

One positive thing happened out of this, I do not get headaches.
Not sure if I can credit him that fact, or one of the other many items over the years that have whacked me solid on the cranium.

Play safe out there boys!
Anything can happen!

Latest posts

Back