When it goes wrong, ALL WRONG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do a lot of falling but I have had situations where a tree became hung up and then I debated with myself on how to finish the job. Since I have been coming to this site I have learned much on how to deal with certain situations and safety is always first on the list and the most valuable take away. I never wore chaps in the past...now I do. lots of little things like that that can make the difference in a fluke accident....all learned from coming to AS. I never considered the throw back from limbs but it certainly presents a real hazard that can have serious consequences as described by the OP. I'm not going to criticize here but I do hope that folks continue to post situations, stupid or otherwise so the masses can learn and anticipate something they may have never considered before.

Having a healthy fear of the inherent dangers of chainsaws and tree falling is important for me.....I need to remind myself of this stuff every time I head out to cut firewood.

I’m planning on letting this thread die from here,.
But before I quit it I would like to thank those that chose to express their sincere relief that me and mine escaped without a scratch, without attacking my abilities, or judgment as a parent. It seems that in my anger with people who have taken it upon themselves to tell me how to raise my child I have forgotten to be gracious…

Thank You Suz
Thank You cnice_37
Thank You JRepairsK70e
Thank You rmount
Thank You marazona
Thank You blacklocust
Thank You CrappieKeith, and yes I have thanked “him”.
Thank You zogger
Thank You alleyyooper
Thank You Henery and Wanda
Thank You dingeryote
Thank You Number 37
Thank You s219
Thank You CWME
Thank You J1m
Thank You marazona
Thank You Steve2910, and the three-year-old wasn’t exactly planned… :D
Thank You stumpy75
Thank You TMFARM 2009
Thank You AIM (I think?)
Thank You v8titan

Hope I didn’t miss anyone…

But before I quit it I would like to thank those that chose to express their sincere relief that me and mine escaped without a scratch, without attacking my abilities, or judgment as a parent. It seems that in my anger with people who have taken it upon themselves to tell me how to raise my child I have forgotten to be gracious…

Unfortunately, you have missed the point. Not only should your 3 year old not be in the falling zone, no other person should either. Age is irrelevant as far as safety is concerned. I certainly hope you understand this before harm comes to someone else.

Thank You AIM (I think?) posted by spider

I probably wouldn't thank me.

Last edited:
Spdey, let me clarify. You may well be father of the year material. I know nothing about how you raise your children other than what I've read in this thread.

What you are is either a poorly trained, ignorant, or reckless faller. You have proven that by allowing others, regardless of age, into the work area. Perhaps faller is too narrow of a description, as there is still danger after the tree is down also. Keep others out of your working area, so not only are they not in danger, but you can concentrate completely on the task at hand and be safer yourself.

I don't dislike you, I enjoy most of your posts. I just want you to still be around to make more.

Thanks not requested or needed.

I think that some of you guys are missing part of what is going here. He took his boy out with him to work. Some of the best times in my life were when my dad did this with me. I would have thought to maybe put the boy in the truck or something (since my three year old is a ball of fire that goes everywhere with me when he can) but this is really Monday morning quarterbacking. It was good that he was checking ths situation to see where the boy went. I think that we should see this as another example of how things can happen that seem unlikely and that you have to be prepared for that. One day I was trimming a tree on a ladder and cut a long, 3-4" diameter branch off a mesquite tree and it fell, hit the ground, and sprung back over my head and back at me. It knocked me off the ladder, and things could have been a lot worse if I had not started going down the ladder when i saw what was going on. Did that make me unsafe? No. Who could have foreseen this happening? No one. Who could have foreseen this happening with the spider guy? No one. Calm down.

Whitespider, I'm thankful that neither you or your son were hurt. I'm glad you had the presence of mind to spot, scoop up the little booger and get out of harm's way. I'm sorry this thread has taken on an unpleasant tone. I don't know you or any of the posters and I would like to assume that all meant well as your story tugs at all of us. Again I'm glad no one was hurt. And I'm glad you shared this event with us.

Guys, I dare say that there is not one of us here that except by the grace of GOD haven't almost killed ourself or someone else. While many of us would never consider falling a tree with a three year old present unless secured in a safe place or contained by another responsible person, none of us were there went this event occurred. I think the point that safe falling requires undivided attention has been made and understood as well as the point that a three year old does not have the capacity to appreciate the danger nor the capacity to prepare an escape. IMHO enough has been directed at Whitespider about this incident; he'll never forget this close call. And neither would any of us if it had been us. I'm getting off the soapbox now before I fall. :smile2: Ron

pics or it didn't happen.

J/K! don't shoot me.

Scary stuff. I'm very weary every time that I cut on any tree for that very reason. You just can't perfectly predict the future. Glad everything turned out alright.

Wow, now no doubt quite a harrowing experience for Whitespider and due to either luck, the grace of GOD or maybe just Whitespiders' superhuman abilities the little tyke was'nt harmed. What I'm saying is the guy does'nt need accolades for saving his son but needs his ASS kicked for not knowing where his son was when falling a tree in an area where his son has free roam. No excuses.

WELL NOW... ya' don't say... I need my ASS kicked, do I?

Tell ya' what... I'll spend the whole day tomorrow sittin' on the front porch, drinking whiskey and waitin' fer Del and sawriffic to show up and make their best attempt at doin' just that... I'll even tie the dog up so he don't make y'all nervous. Besides, the three-year-old can handle the felling and bucking by himself for one day... he and I did go out last night and pick out the trees for this weekends work... he knows what to do.

My place out in the sticks is a bit hard to find, use your GPS.
N43:0:3.17 / W092:35:41.71

OK boys and girls it is retreat time. That's an order.:sucks:

Back off is now operative. Everyone has had their say. It is closure.
Points have been made and countered. Technical critiques of using and felling are fine.

BUTT: Some of you are into ad hominum attacks( look it up ). One rule: never attack family or ethics of upbringing (that's you TreeCo/Del/a.k.a. whatever) and others )

Spidy: stay away from this thread.....it is finished. :byebye:

JMNSHO

funny this one didnt get locked..... glad you and your boy are both safe.

sorry if im doing wrong by posting here and bringing up this thread again

Wow, now no doubt quite a harrowing experience for Whitespider and due to either luck, the grace of GOD or maybe just Whitespiders' superhuman abilities the little tyke was'nt harmed. What I'm saying is the guy does'nt need accolades for saving his son but needs his ASS kicked for not knowing where his son was when falling a tree in an area where his son has free roam. No excuses.

Wtf is up with that? Take a chill pill dude.
I think hes a better parent by taking him out in the woods then sitting him in front of the tv.

Whitespyder
Glad to hear you and your boy is alright, it happens to everyone dont sweat it. My dad took me to the woods logging with him when i was 4, i turned out just fine! :rock:

Back