Where did I go wrong?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off let me just say that I am not selling ANYTHING here. I just had an auction finish on ebay for a completely rebuilt J-Red 910. 86cc with an entire new topend and new ignition. I also tracked down both spikes, a handguard and put on an almost new 20" windsor speed tip and 3/8 chisel chain. I also replaced a cracked rear handle half with a nos piece. I even put a complete master rebuild kit in the carb.The saw is mechanically perfect and though it looks used it should be a strong running saw for a long time. My reserve was $300.00 and twice the bidding only went to a bit over $200.00. Anyone who has ever tried to replace a complete topend knows that they can run $300.00 plus on a saw this size and that's not to mention the almost impossible to find two piece ignition.

Now there is a homelite 750 about to end with a broken handle, no filter, no maniflod plate, no carb bolts, a hard tip bar with no chain and no spikes. It probably needs a carb kit too. Last I checked the 750 was up to $280.00.
I know that a 750 is a bit bigger, but how in the world does a finished saw ready to work full of new rare parts not sell and a project saw with missing parts some of wich are not easily found go like hotcakes? I must be going crazy. I thought that my reserve was more than fair for one of the last true jonsereds of this size.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance guys for letting me vent a bit. I just never mis-guessed the value of a saw so badly before and am a bit frustrated.

That is your problem right there bro, a reserve kills an auction. Never, never, never use a reserve. You need to start it at that price. Also, don't be humble about that saw and its new parts. You need to hype up that old beast. Good pictures are key too.

These things are all about perception. The Homelite 750 has a huge cult following and is seen as the last of the true American "Muscle Saws".

About four years ago I tried to sell a NOS Husky 298 and the best I was offered was $225.00.

I always here the thing about reserve auctions here but ALWAYS use one myself. I've never had the guts or seen the reasoning to test fate. It's either worth it or it's not. I've also seen a reserve help drive the price up as bidders search for it. I've always been one to tell what it is though too. It's no secret. I'm just not going to give my stuff away should the right bidders not come along.

Last edited:
That is your problem right there bro, a reserve kills an auction. Never, never, never use a reserve. You need to start it at that price. Also, don't be humble about that saw and its new parts. You need to hype up that old beast. Good pictures are key too.

You might be right about the reserve, but I did give a COMPLETE run down on all I had done to bring the saw up to snuff.

I always here the thing about reserve auctions here but ALWAYS use one myself. I've never had the guts or seen the reasoning to test fate. It's either worth it or it's not. I've also seen a reserve help drive the price up as bidders search for it. I've always been one to tell what it is though too. It's no secret. I'm just not going to give my stuff away should the right bidders not come along.

Yeah, even if it doesn't sell for what you need to get out of it at the time, the market is constantly changing and you'll have better luck later.

That's what I thought too, or at least hoped. I did tell my reserve to two bidders who asked me, I made no secret. Maybe I just should have posted it or started the bidding there to start with like Epicklein said.

These things are all about perception. The Homelite 750 has a huge cult following and is seen as the last of the true American "Muscle Saws".

About four years ago I tried to sell a NOS Husky 298 and the best I was offered was $225.00.

You are right about the "cult" following, I have five of them already.

I might suggest better well lit pics and go with the super-size option. I've also started to include a video of the actual saw running. In my mind, it's got to be a big plus to actually see the saw run and rev.

I hear ya. We all know there are some idiots on Ebay, they pay too much for the junk and skip the good stuff. Try no reserve, just start it where you would have it. Doesn't cost any more.....

True starting it at my price doesn't cost any more but it does cost every time I re-list. I might give it another try later though. Thanks guys for your input.

Yep, I agree100%

And small. Less questions in a bidders mind if they can see more detail of the saw. Of course that's just my opinion. Good luck next time you list it.

The only thing that concerns me is that this saw was a mechanical restoration not a cosmetic one. It is clean but does show signs of use. Bigger brighter pics are good but probably would not show the new parts to any better advantage. (maybe the cylinder)

Last edited:
There are many things that sell on Ebay that say no reserve yet start the bidding at lets say $100.00. That to me is a reserve. In my opion you are better to start low and have "hidden reserve". Demand sets the price. You may have a nice item such as yours Hoss, without interest it goes lower than expected.

There are many things that sell on Ebay that say no reserve yet start the bidding at lets say $100.00. That to me is a reserve. In my opion you are better to start low and have "hidden reserve". Demand sets the price. You may have a nice item such as yours Hoss, without interest it goes lower than expected.

Apparently.:)

Create a new account under a different email address and list no reserve, Then use the other account to bid it up to what you have to have to sell it. This happens at auctions all the time, Ebay, consignment, and farm auctions. It might be against Ebay's policy, but I would do it if in that position.

Create a new account under a different email address and list no reserve, Then use the other account to bid it up to what you have to have to sell it. This happens at auctions all the time, Ebay, consignment, and farm auctions. It might be against Ebay's policy, but I would do it if in that position.

It's not just against E-bay's policy, it's a form of fraud and it's a felony where I live on auctions worth over $600. Besides that, it's morally wrong and a person who would engage in such behavior to me is a criminal no different than a pickpocket, purse snatcher, or mugger.

Back