Where do I go from here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoutillac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think I need a more friendly saw for cutting small branches ect. I have a MS361 and absolutely love it. The saw pulls the 20" and 25" bar with no problem. I would like to possibly grab a lighter saw with an 18" to 20" bar but the gearhead in me is having a really tough time stepping down in power. My back tells me I need a lighter saw. My saw use is just firewood and yard clean up, I am by no means a pro-woodsman. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Not sure how much you want to spend, but a ported MS261 would be lighter and close to power of the 361.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

I think you would have to go with something smaller than 261, but some how find a way to deal with a power loss... Only because I have a 361 and a 261, and the 361 power head does not weigh much more than a 261 power head...

According to Stihl specs, there's only 0.7 lb difference between the MS361 and MS261 power heads (12.3 vs 11.6), so I'm not sure you'd be solving the weight issue with a 261. A better choice might be a used MS260 or 026 power head, which are listed at 10.6 lbs. Also in the lighter weight category are the Husky 346xp and 550xp saws.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the 361.

445 husky. You don't need any more saw than that, and it is really light with great anti-vibe. You don't have to tell anybody, and you neighbors will never know its not a "pro saw"
They're also inexpensive

If your running a 20" on the 361, I'd go with an 026 with a 16", or a ported 200T with a 12" is freakin awesome. A 200T with a 12" balances perfectly, light, amazing power and is great for the tops. You can one hand it and toss limbs with the other.

346xp or the 350 husky. The 550xp would be great but it's a bit more $$$. If the 543xp is worth a darn, it might be worth the wait and the consideration.

I think people get too hung up on POWER. I have an ecological restoration company and we spend all winter clearing brush. For anything less than 8" my preferred saw is a MS200 with a 14" bar. Its light and easy to work with all day. I also have a MS250 which we have swapped out to a pico chain and 14" bar. It really rips for limbing, in addition to the higher chain speed the smaller bar/chain saves significant weight, though it is noticeably heavier than the MS200.

Even a small, inexpensive saw can be a great work tool. 6 years ago I was working for another company and they bought a MS180 as a lighter saw compared to the standard MS260 we worked with. After a few days of snarky comments about it being a toy, our attitude changed and we would consistently choose the 180 over the 260, it was MUCH lighter, easier to work with all day and not be tired, and really the cutting speed on small diameter stuff (most of our cuts were 6" or less) was not that different. We did put a lot of wear on that saw after 3 months of daily use, its clearly not intended for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
MS170 Wont break the bank, impressive for 1.7 hp, 8.6 lb . Nice little saw gets the small jobs done without a problem.:popcorn:

Last edited:
I'll probably get flamed here by the Stihl Heads but you didn't indicate you were blinded by brand name so I'd throw out a couple suggestions.
Go to HD and buy a Echo cs400. They are lightweight and I have read some favorable comments on them (for what they are).
Or- a better option would be to PM Terry Landrum (Wicked Work Saw) Arboristsite Sponsor and putchase a little Redmax thru him. They are a really good quality saw and he can cut you a screaming good deal on one.

No way I'd waste $200 on those small Stihls. That's getting 2 close to the price of a much better saw.

Try a small redmax from site sponsor terry landrum maybe. I am sure he can recommend a good quality light weight model and most likely it will be cheaper than an H or S branded one.

http://www.wickedworksaw.com/

Used and small and cheap and all over heck on most any craigslist, I have yet to see a better deal than any of the old 38cc small poulans like my s25cva. Cut like crazy, light weight, easy to work on, cheap.

I think you would have to go with something smaller than 261, but some how find a way to deal with a power loss... Only because I have a 361 and a 261, and the 361 power head does not weigh much more than a 261 power head...

Good point, thedfifference in weight and bulk between those models is too small to really make a difference.

Latest posts

Back