Where do you ll get your chains for your Rollomatic ES Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKO-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering where you all get your chains for your still rollomatic ES super bars.

I have been trying to get a new chain for my 25" bar, but all the stihl dealers only carry the chain that fits the Rollomatic E

I ended up having to buy a new bar because no one had the right chain.

Any help is appreciated.

nope the gauge is thicker on all the ones they sell at the stores.

if you look on the bottom of the chain( the area shaped like a tooth) On the chain the stores have in stock have a number six on it.

My existing chains have a 3 and on the bar it has a spot that says 1,3 So I am guessing that it mean you can only fit ones that have a 1 or a 3. the six is to thick and can be slightly forced into the bar bought the chain will not turn then.

So we had to buy a new bar because no one sold more then one kind of chain, just like we can not find anyone who stocks RSC chain all the dealers only carry RMC.

Thanks, Any one else have any ideas.

Seriously, The guage, pitch and drive link count is all you need. My 25" ES bar has it printed on the side of it. For instance mine is a 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge 84 drive link count. If a professional saw shop could not sell you a chain, you need a new shop. Not bashing you, just trying to help. Here is a link to Oregons page, maybe it will help. http://www.oregonchain.com/faq.htm#chaingauge

nope the gauge is thicker on all the ones they sell at the stores.

if you look on the bottom of the chain( the area shaped like a tooth) On the chain the stores have in stock have a number six on it.

My existing chains have a 3 and on the bar it has a spot that says 1,3 So I am guessing that it mean you can only fit ones that have a 1 or a 3. the six is to thick and can be slightly forced into the bar bought the chain will not turn then.

So we had to buy a new bar because no one sold more then one kind of chain, just like we can not find anyone who stocks RSC chain all the dealers only carry RMC.

Thanks, Any one else have any ideas.

Looks like you got a bar with a groove width of 1,3 mm (0.050"), its used mostley for milling. But you do get cutting chains for it as well.

The number 6 on the driver means its 3/8picco or low profile. The number 3 means 3/8. If im not mistaken you cant interchange chain on the sprocket either even though they both say 3/8.:)

Last edited:
Yeah thanks for the guys who know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately in St. Louis Their is know such thing as dealer satisfaction and none of the dealers care that they are ####ty. Even if you politely explain to them that you need a different part all they say is. Nuh uh if I don't carry it. It doesn't exist.

They work that way with all equipment. Most of them only carry about homeowners or new companies just starting up so the can sell them a zero turn riding mower, after they purchase they become just like everyone else. The dealer doesn't want anything to do with you.

we have found the only way to get our equipment worked on(especially if it is still under warranty) is hold the service for ransom, By coming in looking at an item to buy. Then saying ok I'll take that one. Right when they get ready to go ring it up and get you one of the wall or out of the back. Say but I am not buying to you fix my other machine.

Then they get a down and upset like it is the end of the world that they actually have to maintain a machine.

Again thanks for the help from the ones who know or care, I am not stupid I knew I needed a thinner gauge but none of the dealers could get it through their head that their was such a thing as different gauge chains.

Since the chain package said that it fit stihl 044 then it has to fit no matter what I told them.

Since the chain package said that it fit stihl 044 then it has to fit no matter what I told them.

An 044 stihl can have .050 or .063 chain. The pitch and gauge of the chain needs to fit the bar you are running. The pitch of the chain and bar need to match the sprocket on the clutch.

Sounds like your 25" ES bar is a 3/8 .050 84DL, like mine. You need 33rmc or 33rsc in stihl chain, or oregon 72LGX or to fit that bar. Should be no problem to order it or find it locally someplace.

Last edited:
An 044 stihl can have .050 or .063 chain. The pitch and gauge of the chain needs to fit the bar you are running. The pitch of the chain and bar need to match the sprocket on the clutch.

Sounds like your 25" ES bar is a 3/8 .050 84DL, like mine. You need 33rmc or 33rsc in stihl chain, or oregon 72LGX or to fit that bar. Should be no problem to order it or find it locally someplace.

That is exactly right ... TKO you have to find a Stihl dealer that is willing to deal with you. I'd go as far as to talk to Stihl and let them know the dealer quality or lack there of in your area. The problem your having is so basic that if the dealer can't or is unwilling to help you he or she shouldn't be flying a Stihl flag on their shop. Good luck with getting your right equipment.:cheers:

Last edited:
Got to bailey's online pick up some woodsman pro chain and go with life cutting happily and making lots of saw dust. I have a 25ES Stihl bar and buy the chain everytime from baileys and couldn't be happier. I am quite sure it is 84 drive links but you check with them to be sure. I am with the others find another stihl dealer and fast.

Jared

we tried to find another stihl dealer, We started at dealer 1 qand gave up at dealer 3 not having it. Atleast at dealer 3 they seemed to know something abot the saws( well the lady who worked there did). When I cam up to the counter with my broken rim sprocket and asked them if they would have one to replace the one on my 044. They looked like deer caught in the headlights. They where like I don't know if we would have it ( looked around for a minute acting like they new what they where doing. Then finally decided to give up their know it all attitude( that all of our dealers here have) And asked well what is it?

I wanted to laugh at how dumb they where. Funny part is the lady came walking back to the service/parts desk and from 10-15 feet away said looks like you need a new rim sprocket. LOL you know they felt stupid after that.

She knew the difference between the chain gauges as well, and said that we where not going to find a dealer in St. louis that would have the .50 gauge because the guy here don't really buy much of the pro equipment( they buy the cheapest possible. She said the biggest saws they usually sell are ms390 and every once in awhile a 260 or 361 but not very often. So they pretty much don't carry many items for pro saws, I noticed that none of them even had large bars our chain either.

oh well nothing you can do about it you can complain till you areblue in the face. Nothing will change when the end user/customer is a business the other business's don't think they have to worry about customer service.

we tried to find another stihl dealer, We started at dealer 1 qand gave up at dealer 3 not having it. Atleast at dealer 3 they seemed to know something abot the saws( well the lady who worked there did). When I cam up to the counter with my broken rim sprocket and asked them if they would have one to replace the one on my 044. They looked like deer caught in the headlights. They where like I don't know if we would have it ( looked around for a minute acting like they new what they where doing. Then finally decided to give up their know it all attitude( that all of our dealers here have) And asked well what is it?

I wanted to laugh at how dumb they where. Funny part is the lady came walking back to the service/parts desk and from 10-15 feet away said looks like you need a new rim sprocket. LOL you know they felt stupid after that.

She knew the difference between the chain gauges as well, and said that we where not going to find a dealer in St. louis that would have the .50 gauge because the guy here don't really buy much of the pro equipment( they buy the cheapest possible. She said the biggest saws they usually sell are ms390 and every once in awhile a 260 or 361 but not very often. So they pretty much don't carry many items for pro saws, I noticed that none of them even had large bars our chain either.

oh well nothing you can do about it you can complain till you areblue in the face. Nothing will change when the end user/customer is a business the other business's don't think they have to worry about customer service.

TKO.
Go to the Stihl website. Look up the Part#. Take the part# to one of your dealers, have them look up the price and then have them order it.
If they can't do that, sell the Stihl.

Lord knows what would happen, if you needed to have them order parts for your unusual Saw, or worse, a repair.

As it is, in your situation, you would be better off with an old Mac or Poulan.
At least you could find parts, and chain.

Wow!!!

I really think you should E-mail Stihl and let them know.

Just WOW!!!!!!!!:dizzy:

Tell me this is a Gag thread..

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

3/8 .050 isn't "pro" chain, up here they run it on just about anything bigger than a ms310. Like I said you need to keep looking for another dealer.

I'm guessing there is a tree service or two in town, and they buy chains someplace. You need to find a good dealer that stocks parts and will help you out.

Heck you can buy 20" loops of 3/8 .050 of oregon at the home depot rental counter. If worse comes to worse buy two loops and break them down, and make 1 loop.

say whatever you want guys the dealers here do not care what you want or need.

They have always been this way with all equipment heavy equipment or hand held.

They carry what they carry and in most cases will not order anything they don't have. They act like they are doing you a favor by letting you shop there.

Until you come to this messed up city don't tell me how it works. Most things run the opposite of how they should here.

Again as I said I have experience in tree work, and have done rigging and blocking down. and can put a tree in a small area when taking down. The tree we did yesterday had all debri from the 11 o'clock position to the 1 o'clock position, about a 8-10 foot area wide was the only place I had to lay it down without hitting something else and it came out fine.

Not being able to get good dealers when there are none has nothing to do with our ability to work on tree's or run a business it just means you have to plan a little ahead on any purchase you can see coming.

Unfortunately the rim sprocket broke and messed up the used chain that came with the saw when we bought it(used).

By the way I do have arborculture books that I read at night when I have time. Because you can never know to much about whatever it is you do in life.

You all act like you where born and immediately knew everything there was to know about arborculture and tree removal. Here is a wake up call for all of you with your head in the clouds, You didn't.

also reading doesn't make you know everything either which from being on this site I am starting to think alot of you don't actually work in tree's but just read a lot about it on the internet and like to act superior behind the anonynimity of the internet. It is ok lots of people use the interner to make themselves out to be more then they are. They can't help it, and I don't really blame them or hate them for it. I just kind of feel sorry for them if that is what they need in their life to make them feel whole.

Thanks for looking so far everyone.

Last edited:
3/8 .050 isn't "pro" chain, up here they run it on just about anything bigger than a ms310. Like I said you need to keep looking for another dealer.

I'm guessing there is a tree service or two in town, and they buy chains someplace. You need to find a good dealer that stocks parts and will help you out.

Heck you can buy 20" loops of 3/8 .050 of oregon at the home depot rental counter. If worse comes to worse buy two loops and break them down, and make 1 loop.

No but the rollomatic es is a pro bar.

Latest posts

Back