Where does this crud come from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheim1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Pulled the cylinder of this 034 due to low compression (cylinder not bad, will clean up, piston will be replaced).
What I discovered underneath is pretty much a greasy mess:

attachment.php

Is that what you get from running to rich of a mixture (note: it's all the way down in the case as well)?
Just wondering.
Thanks.

The piston (exhaust side) looks like this:
attachment.php

What about the intake side? I would think if it's sucking crap through the filter or the filter is removed you would find significantly more scarring on that side.

What about the intake side? I would think if it's sucking crap through the filter or the filter is removed you would find significantly more scarring on that side.

Intake side looks fine.
I am starting to think it came through the base, as the gasket was almost entirely disintegrated (was tough to tell by what's left of it).

Intake side looks fine.
I am starting to think it came through the base, as the gasket was almost entirely disintegrated (was tough to tell by what's left of it).

I think you're on the right track and Fish seems to confirm it.

Thanks guys.
I'll make sure to check all the connections and rubber before putting it back together. The bearings seam fine and the inside case might just need a good wash.

Shows just how tough these 2 cycle engines really are.

Reminds me of women and automobiles....just run them until something goes wrong. Then its "I didn't have any idea...."

Thanks guys.
I'll make sure to check all the connections and rubber before putting it back together. The bearings seam fine and the inside case might just need a good wash.

Be careful with that.

Be careful with that.

I'm thinking (and please correct me if I'm wrong) wiping of what I can get, air pressure, mix, air pressure, mix,...; it'll be messy but at least I don't have to split the case and put new seals on.
:censored: Now I'm thinking about new seals anyways.

I'm just not sure it's a good idea to "rinse" out the lower. IMO, you're just asking for trouble unless you go all out and split the case and flush out the races and install new seals. Short of that, I might just wipe out what I could get to and call it good.

Sounds like a decent plan. Bottom line is not to get all that crud in the bearings and behind the seals

Sounds like a decent plan. Bottom line is not to get all that crud in the bearings and behind the seals

It's already there. I'll bet when you pull the seals you'll find the outside of the race, between it and the inside of the seal packed with the same crud.
I'd pull the seals and flush, flush, flush with mix. I use a small acid brush to clean everywhere I can reach. No sense doing the rest of the topend work without building on a good clean bottom. This is the worst I've seen. Looks like it was run on 10-30 Quakerstate!!! I would probably fill the entire case with mix and let it sit overnight at least, before I pulled the seals. Might soften it up a bit and quicken the whole process. Good luck.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back