Where does this crud come from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll probably have some spare seals laying around; so, I might as well pull the old ones off.
I'm surprised that with all that crud the bearings are still moving. Not sure what happened to this poor saw in the past (a parts saw decent enough to bring back to life), but someone sure didn't take care of it.

When I have a case like that, I like to split it so that I can properly clean it up. I'm sure you could get away without that though. I do agree that you should pull your seals and flush it good after cleaning up the loose stuff.

I would split that thing for sure. You'll be surprised where all that dirt and grime will hide. Did you pressure test it first? I'm wondering if you have an impulse line bad or a head gasket that was bad.

I would split that thing for sure. You'll be surprised where all that dirt and grime will hide. Did you pressure test it first? I'm wondering if you have an impulse line bad or a head gasket that was bad.

Did a pressure/vacuum check and it was ok.
That's where my confusion started.
I might as well split the case; easy enough on the 034.

Definitely dirt ingestion, seal or gasket, impulse line maybe, but that would put crud in the carb too.

Fish:

When you mention the impulse line, are you saying there was possibly a hole in the line? If so, would the saw continue to run long enough to collect this much debris? Believe me, I'm only asking because I don't have a clue and I'm just curious.

Alderman

Fish:

When you mention the impulse line, are you saying there was possibly a hole in the line? If so, would the saw continue to run long enough to collect this much debris? Believe me, I'm only asking because I don't have a clue and I'm just curious.

Alderman

Must be real fine dirt to get through the impulse line.
But if all the seals are leaking, I guess it could accumulate fast.
Anyhow, this one wasn't even running when I got it.

Just split the case (and that thing was the most stubborn one I have encountered as of yet); glad I did.
Take a look:
attachment.php

Back