Where in Georgia to take an 064 to be rebuilt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stravis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in middle Georgia and am looking for a place or person to take my 064 to be rebuilt. I know of a couple of local Stihl dealers, but wanted to see if there was a particular shop or individual that is known for better work. I'm just south of Macon, but am willing to travel or ship if needed. The 064 is in great physical shape and has fairly low hours, but it's been sitting for probably twenty years and needs a new or repaired cylinder. Once the 064 is fixed, if the shop/individual does a good job, I'm also going to send them my 041AV which runs ok, but lacks some power and eventually my 011.

The two local shops that I know of are:

Powerhouse Outdoor in Warner Robins - I've not been impressed by their staff when here before shopping for a pole saw, but if they are known for good work, I'm not opposed to returning.

Jacks Saw Shop in Macon - Heard good things about them and this is likely where I'm headed if I don't hear otherwise here.

Do any of you know anything about these two or have any others you would recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited:
One of the builders on here is close, actually there are a few in TN...

Both MasterMind and TLandrum are on here and from (I think) Eastern TN...

dw

How mechanically inclined are you? A little bit of reading on this site and posting in the need for manuals section will start you off in the right direction.

I'd be interested in talking to Saw Dr. I'll search his user name.

I'm sure the OP would make out better dealing with one of the builders on this site than he would just taking it to a Stihl dealer's shop.

Some shops, but not all...

Please dont be so narrow minded that all shops are the same...

Not being narrow minded at all and I sure don't think all shops are the same.

It is my understanding that some of what the modders on this site do a Stihl dealer simply can not do without risking losing their dealership.

He wants the saw rebuilt. Never said anything about modding it. Sounds to me like it seized and needs to be gotten back in good shape.

Then the "stick a dremmel in it" crowd jumped in and took the thread in a direction that maybe or maybe not it was intended. We shall never know now.

So how would a simple rebuild on a 20ish year old saw, cause a dealer to lose anything?

I'm in middle Georgia and am looking for a place or person to take my 064 to be rebuilt. I know of a couple of local Stihl dealers, but wanted to see if there was a particular shop or individual that is known for better work. I'm just south of Macon, but am willing to travel or ship if needed. The 064 is in great physical shape and has fairly low hours, but it's been sitting for probably twenty years and needs a new or repaired cylinder. Once the 064 is fixed, if the shop/individual does a good job, I'm also going to send them my 041AV which runs ok, but lacks some power and eventually my 011.

The two local shops that I know of are:

Powerhouse Outdoor in Warner Robins - I've not been impressed by their staff when here before shopping for a pole saw, but if they are known for good work, I'm not opposed to returning.

Jacks Saw Shop in Macon - Heard good things about them and this is likely where I'm headed if I don't hear otherwise here.

Do any of you know anything about these two or have any others you would recommend?

Thanks.

I think getting some repair quotes from an authorized Stihl dealer would be a good start, then you could get a rundown of what needs to be repaired. You may want to go with a dealer, or one of the builder/ sponsors here, but at least if you have a comprehensive list of needed repairs it'll be comparing apples to apples.
Now for the 041AV, that sounds like a woods port, and muffler mod are in order for sure........:msp_thumbup: I'd do a search for Mastermind's thread on the work he did on an 041Super, it was quite impressive.

I'll second or third or whatever, to send it to Randy. I'm sorry to the other sponsers if they do rebuilds as well. I know Randy advertises stock rebuilds. He does great work. I wouldn't take it to a Stihl shop, It'll cost ya.

I am pretty busy about 103% of the time. We have a baby on the way and a mini remodel on our house to make room for said baby. As for the 064, I do have the tooling and I don't mind doing crank work either. I need to defer to the site sponsors on this one. If nothing pans out with any of them, drop me a line. I will not be the cheapest, and most certainly not the fastest.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

I am pretty busy about 103% of the time. We have a baby on the way and a mini remodel on our house to make room for said baby. As for the 064, I do have the tooling and I don't mind doing crank work either. I need to defer to the site sponsors on this one. If nothing pans out with any of them, drop me a line. I will not be the cheapest, and most certainly not the fastest.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

Glad to see you found time to get a baby started. Keeping the MRS happy is key to a long happy marriage.

The saw needs to go to Randy. Look up the thread on Mastermind meets the Johnsered 2095. That saw was jacked up (I know- it's mine) It is a rebuild thread. If you are wondering if he does good work........ look at my sig- Logic would dictate you only do repeat business where you got quality work at a reasonable rate.:msp_thumbup: He has my new Johnsered 2171 and the 540xp and Johnsered 2260 will be shipped directly from Spike 60 to him the day they become avail for purchase. :rock:

Last edited:
Glad to see you found time to get a baby started. Keeping the MRS happy is key to a long happy marriage.

This will be # 3 for us. Two girls already, so nobody to leave the saws/tools/guns to just yet. Not hoping for a boy in particular, just hoping for a healthy one. We just celebrated our 9th anniversary the other day, so I must be doing something right.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

Back