Where is the DOT when this guy comes down the road ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys have NO idea
In the mid 80's my Dad bought an 83 Toyota 4x4 with a 22R engine. Times were tough and my Dad determined this truck would do all he needed. To accomplish this the truck needed to be upgraded with a gooseneck hitch,off roading winch,and 15/38 monster mudder tires. These accessories were farm and hunting related.
My Dad had a satellite farm about 15 miles from his primary farm/residence. The trip there involved crossing 6 hills from 200'-800' high. To feed these cattle twice weekly he would hook to a goose neck trailer and then load an 85 HP 4x4 tractor with a front end loader on the trailer hooked to the Toyota. The icing on the cake was I never knew of the trailer brakes EVER working on that trailer.
Now, if any of you have ever driven a truck like that with tires of that size you know how they handle-very poorly! On top of that low range HAD to be used to get the load moving. You can imagine how safe that was. My Dad operated this way 7 years without once having any issues that I'm aware of going thru 3 transfer cases in that time.
I'm NOT condoning these actions at all as I know what can happen.

I do think its difficult for most people that are "average" drivers to have any idea what any vehicle/driver combo can accomplish if the operator is WAY above average which obviously my Dad was. I'm sure most of you reading this feel your above average, but until you've driven in situations like this you don't really know your limitations. Before round bales we hauled square bales to the barn, one summer about 3 days into the hay crop the master cylinde burst on our 2 ton truck, rather than fix it he instructed me and my sister to drive from field to barn-up to 4 miles road driving in a manner that required no brakes. I promise you this will put 100% focus on your driving! I failed to mention our age 12 and 14, me the oldest. Fortunately that only lasted about 3 days, some things are hard to forget.

Haha. Oh yes, I have an idea. You brought back fond memories.
I had a 78 Ford Courier (it was the good one with a Pinto engine instead of the Mazda) with a gooseneck hitch. I pulled an 18' gooseneck stock trailer with it. Not to mention the 16' flat bed hauling hay, and firewood.
When you're hauling heavy loads with light trucks, you don't "rock out" to the stereo, you don't eat lunch or snacks on the go, and you don't have use for cup holders because you are paying 100% attention to your driving and surroundings.
I wish they'd quit putting cup holders in vehicle's anyway, I think it would save more accident's than overloading.

Andy

Haha. Oh yes, I have an idea. You brought back fond memories.
I had a 78 Ford Courier (it was the good one with a Pinto engine instead of the Mazda) with a gooseneck hitch. I pulled an 18' gooseneck stock trailer with it. Not to mention the 16' flat bed hauling hay, and firewood.
When you're hauling heavy loads with light trucks, you don't "rock out" to the stereo, you don't eat lunch or snacks on the go, and you don't have use for cup holders because you are paying 100% attention to your driving and surroundings.
I wish they'd quit putting cup holders in vehicle's anyway, I think it would save more accident's than overloading.

Andy

It really creates much appreciation for proper tools when you've had to do a lot with virtually nothing of value to work with.
I still remember when my Dad got his first pair of vice grips, I REALLY thought we had moved up in the world. Lol

Sorry, I didn't notice where he is from. Just saying its a pretty common sight around here. I don't think I would get pulled over with a load like that unless the wood was on fire.

Heavily populated communities equal greater cause for concern for public safety.

Put that same truck / trailer and driver in an area where there are few people and the possibilities of a bad accident decrease based on population.

We have had some horrible truck accidents in CT over the last 10 years.

DOT does not mess around, pick up's, one tons, tri axles, trailers, etc--- they all are in the crosshairs.

Heavily populated communities equal greater cause for concern for public safety.

Put that same truck / trailer and driver in an area where there are few people and the possibilities of a bad accident decrease based on population.

We have had some horrible truck accidents in CT over the last 10 years.

DOT does not mess around, pick up's, one tons, tri axles, trailers, etc--- they all are in the crosshairs.
sounds awful!

Just my 2 cents here fellas:

This ain't no Bowtie vs Blue Oval vs Import thread

This ain't no how much can your truck handle vs mine nonsense

This is common sense stuff:

What can the brakes on the rig handle for an "OH SH!T" situation? ....... Like when a kid runs out into a street after a ball or running after their dog.

It annoys the heck out of me that we're missing the bigger picture here fellas.

It ain't what the DOT thinks.

It's How are you gonna live with yourself after the unexpected happens and you can't stop your rig because you were too lazy to spend an extra $ on gas for a second trip.

You overloaded the truck and your brakes overheat and FAIL........You can't stop in time.....

I'm off my soapbox now.

that most of the guys who think this is a big deal are from the northeast?

Google the guy and welcome him to Arkantucky or whereever it is you are from. I just hope he makes it one piece to your neighborhood and breezes through my state in the North East.

Should I care if he runs over one of your freinds or relatives?

Last edited:
He'd probably fit right in here! (except for the accent) Seriously, I don't think the dot will mess with you here if you are under 26,000#. Do you New Englanders have to cross scales and the whole deal, or is it just if you get caught?

He'd probably fit right in here! (except for the accent) Seriously, I don't think the dot will mess with you here if you are under 26,000#. Do you New Englanders have to cross scales and the whole deal, or is it just if you get caught?

Really? Have you never been across a scale? Everything is based on what size truck you are using a what size trailer and what it is loaded also every state have rules for this and what type of commercial license you need. That is why a lot of guys get CDL A's even if you pulling with a f350 it's all based on over 10k pounds on your trailer and I am pretty sure that includes the weight of the trailer. IMHO it's not worth it brakes could fail trailer could break etc etc. it would be a hell of a thing to have on your coincidence if you killed someone because you had to get it out in one load.

No, I've never crossed a scale. I run a 1 ton (10,000#) with a gooseneck with two 7500# axles. I have heard of guys stopped with a 1 ton with a 20000# trailer before, particularly if they have construction equipment loaded.

I'm not so sure he ever drove that rig down any main road. If you look at the one picture with the snow on the ground, you'll see he loaded the truck and backed it up for pictures.

Even if he did drive on the road he couldn't go that fast anyway. I hate to think of the times I've loaded the truck with hay and pullled two big hay racks behind.

The local cops around here have little portable scales that they put under your tires. When the family got killed by the runnaway chipper all the local departments stepped up enforcement. Once the other departments found out how much money the ones enforcing were making, they all certified a few patrolman for that purpose. They did really go overboard though. But rules are rules I guess.

I got pulled over for while towing a motorcycle on my trailer. My trailer is one of those 5 x 8 Tractor Supply trailers. All my tiedown hooks were facing in, all lites worked and everything was good. The cop asked me,'' How do you know if your tiedowns are DOT certified?'' I asked him '' How do you know if they"re not?'' He wasn't happy with that answer and he issued me a ticket. I can't remember how much but we argued about it and another cop came. The 2 of them discussed the situation and he came back and took back the copy he gave me and I'm assuming tore it up.

They got my neighbor for $161 for having an open milk crate with unsecured bottles of oil in it. He halled it on his landscape trailer that way for years and never had a problem. They also made him weld the trailer so the hooks for tiedowns weren't exposed on the outside.

Thats what happens when a family in a minivan gets killed by some scab tree cutting outfit.Just think if you were the one to kill a mom and 2 daughters, and leave the father to raise the lone survivor of the crash who's paralized and in need of 24hr care. And by the way, another good freind of mine witnessed the whole accident. He was the next truck behind the truck halling the chipper. He has 2 kids of his own, and he hasn't been the same since. He had to testify at 2 hearings as a witness.

The local cops around here have little portable scales that they put under your tires. When the family got killed by the runnaway chipper all the local departments stepped up enforcement. Once the other departments found out how much money the ones enforcing were making, they all certified a few patrolman for that purpose. They did really go overboard though. But rules are rules I guess.

I got pulled over for while towing a motorcycle on my trailer. My trailer is one of those 5 x 8 Tractor Supply trailers. All my tiedown hooks were facing in, all lites worked and everything was good. The cop asked me,'' How do you know if your tiedowns are DOT certified?'' I asked him '' How do you know if they"re not?'' He wasn't happy with that answer and he issued me a ticket. I can't remember how much but we argued about it and another cop came. The 2 of them discussed the situation and he came back and took back the copy he gave me and I'm assuming tore it up.

They got my neighbor for $161 for having an open milk crate with unsecured bottles of oil in it. He halled it on his landscape trailer that way for years and never had a problem. They also made him weld the trailer so the hooks for tiedowns weren't exposed on the outside.

Thats what happens when a family in a minivan gets killed by some scab tree cutting outfit.Just think if you were the one to kill a mom and 2 daughters, and leave the father to raise the lone survivor of the crash who's paralized and in need of 24hr care. And by the way, another good freind of mine witnessed the whole accident. He was the next truck behind the truck halling the chipper. He has 2 kids of his own, and he hasn't been the same since. He had to testify at 2 hearings as a witness.
Wow. thanks for the info. Different world I guess. We don't even have vehicle inspections here.

Last edited:
Really? Have you never been across a scale? Everything is based on what size truck you are using a what size trailer and what it is loaded also every state have rules for this and what type of commercial license you need. That is why a lot of guys get CDL A's even if you pulling with a f350 it's all based on over 10k pounds on your trailer and I am pretty sure that includes the weight of the trailer. IMHO it's not worth it brakes could fail trailer could break etc etc. it would be a hell of a thing to have on your coincidence if you killed someone because you had to get it out in one load.

Scales in the southeast are for commercial vehicles ONLY. No kidding at all!

I've been guilty of being overloaded or breaking the law in one way or the other carrying a load. Probably my worst offense was a few months after I bought a cardboard baler for my buisness. I'd baled 12-14 bales and I was told to store them outdoors as they were bought by weight and it didn't matter how wet they were. After a 3 day rain I decided I'd load and sell them. I own a 28' gooseneck trailer with my Dad who is VERY hard on any & all equipment. I loaded all the bales,tied them down and I was on my way. Quickly I realized the brakes on the trailer appeared to not be working. This frustrated me as I just KNEW my Dad had somehow wrecked the brake system on the trailer. I continued on my way which was approx 30 miles. I drove very carefully seldom exceeding 30 MPH. I arrived at my destination and had to be weighed before and after unloading to acquire a net weight. I grossed at 39,5XX pounds, needless to say the trailer brakes were indeed working but I couldn't feel them activate. I'd not really envisioned the load to weigh nearly that amount.
I was using my 99 F-350 SRW truck and pulling the load was not a problem hence I failed to realize the size of the load.
I do try to abstain from doing things of this nature when I know the proper info, ignorance and a get r done attitude that day seemed to trump over thinking about what I was actually doing.

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days & I've come to the conclusion that after the needless death's of innocent people, that it is imperative that we push for legislation to end this madness. I feel that no one that isn't certified by the federal government should be allowed to drive a vehicle of any kind. Pickup trucks and all medium duty vehicles of less than 40,000 lb. GVWR should be illegal to operate on any public roadway. No trailer should be pulled by any vehicle that is registered for less than 80,000lb GVW.
All pickups and medium duty vehicles should be turned into a government agency that is to be determined.
This should at least slow down, if not end the senseless, unnecessary, needless deaths of people on our public roadways. :msp_rolleyes:

Andy

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days & I've come to the conclusion that after the needless death's of innocent people, that it is imperative that we push for legislation to end this madness. I feel that no one that isn't certified by the federal government should be allowed to drive a vehicle of any kind. Pickup trucks and all medium duty vehicles of less than 40,000 lb. GVWR should be illegal to operate on any public roadway. No trailer should be pulled by any vehicle that is registered for less than 80,000lb GVW.
All pickups and medium duty vehicles should be turned into a government agency that is to be determined.
This should at least slow down, if not end the senseless, unnecessary, needless deaths of people on our public roadways. :msp_rolleyes:

Andy

They'll take my Chevy when they pry my cold dead fingers off from around the steering wheel!

Can we ban hybrids? Them Fn things are always in the way!

Back