where is the stihl 361 made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm showing #6 is various and #9 as Japan...but everything above is correct..??
:cheers:
J2F

I believe I have seen contradictary lists before as well - what is your source?

All I am really sure of at this point is the #1 and #2.......:msp_confused:

Here is the document I referred to: View attachment 302944

Last edited:
I believe I have seen contradictary lists before as well - what is your source?

All I am really sure of at this point is the #1 and #2.......:msp_confused:
View attachment 302944
Hi SawTroll...I honestly can't remember - -this old age is working on me..especially remembering folks names..??

One day I can't remember...and then day or two later it's instant recall..?? - I'm like WHY do I remember now
when just a day or two days ago I couldn't pull it up...sometimes I can just go through the alphabet..A..B..C..D..
and so on and maybe 50% of the time I can remember the name that way...or Not...:dunno:

I also have trouble hearing folks while talking on the phone...it gets sort of "blurred" is my best description.
Now my hearing is super good..birds singing..crows cawing...owls hooting..etc...I just don't know..

See I forgot my "classic" sign out...and had to edit...hospital 4 yrs ago said I was a "walking dead man"
Bad heart..bad lungs..bad liver...and definitely...a...Bad Attitude..!!!
:cheers: - OK got it done..!!..:)
J2F

Last edited:
As for what I see brand new ones for sale on the shelf. The top handle 201t, the 4xx, the 6xx say made in Germany. Places I go don't stock or I didn't notice larger than that. The rest of them seem to say assembled in USA with parts from around the world. Exactly how much more casting forming machining etc is involved in made in vs assembled in and how that has changed over time since assembled in came into popular use I do wonder.

Whatever contact email I found on the stihl website resulted in an amazingly quick and thorough answer. I am guessing since the made in and assembled in on stickers that probably won't last well putting the serial number in a question could be tried if there is doubt at this point.

I just found a list from 1998 (Stihl document).

It stated;

1 = Germany
2 = USA
3 = Brazil (don't know where I had 6 from)
4 = China
6 = Japan
9 = "various".

I still believe this is the most correct list, unless someone has a better source than the Stihl TI from 1998, but I agree that "made in" often really means "assambled in" (not specific to Stihl).

Back