Where to find .404" square ground chisel chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega_supreme

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For the last half year I have been working on an older model Stihl 090AV. I have it `fully restored' (no repaint, I'm a fan of battle scars) and it's running all right. I even managed to find a nice original 70's duromatic bar for it, so it's almost done. However, I still need a chain to complete the project. The saw has a 7 tooth spur sprocket so I'm looking for .404 chain. I want square ground chisel chain for it (just for show), but I find it real hard to find this stuff. So far I have found oregon still produces exactly what I'm looking for. They call this chain "59CL": .063" gauge - .404" pitch - standard sequence (no skip). Can't find it for sale anywhere though.. :(

* Can anyone tell me where I can buy this stuff, or provide me with a loop? (I need 92 links)
* Or if anyone knows an alternative, or has another old school chain around that would fit the 30" (75cm) bar, then I would also be happy.

Also, because I'm pretty sure everyone else here likes chainsaw pictures, here's the 090 itself:

View attachment 296064 View attachment 296066

Great saws. My buddy convers his round ground to square on his silvey. I have never run a 090 with antivibe i bet thats a nice feature. Mine is a regular 090 and it will shake your pants off. great work.

Its changed numbers to 68CL now. Bailey's has it. If you can't get it from them I'll see how much it will cost to ship to you.

Great saws. My buddy convers his round ground to square on his silvey. I have never run a 090 with antivibe i bet thats a nice feature. Mine is a regular 090 and it will shake your pants off. great work.

I doubt you'll find a Silvey or Simington outside North America.

mdavale's suggestion is good and Bailey's ship overseas, ask Grande Dog in the Bailey's forum.

Kyle at Edge and Engine is an Oregon dealer too and ships to us here in Australia and his service is excellent.
It'd be worth asking if he stocks square ground chain.

Thanks a ton guys! those are all really great suggestions and it's good to know the name changed (again). I will start by asking Baileys if they are willing to sell me some chain.

The AV option on the 090 should already absorb quite a bit of the shake, but this saw will still shake your pants of. That's all part of the fun holding one of these massive motors in your hands though. :cool2: In my opinion the old AV mount does give the saw a cool unique look. I have been on the hunt for one with the old sawtooth casted on the starter cover for quite some time. I finally located one in Germany which started out as this:

View attachment 296194 View attachment 296195 View attachment 296196

Latest posts

Back