Where to find glass for door on stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a good deal on an England stove but the glass is missing. I need to find somewhere to but the tempered glass (like 8.5 x 12.5) for a good price.
Any suggestions? I know I can go to the manufacturer, but would like to find it cheaper

I had a small local glass shop near where i used to live. They always had 'stove glass' in stock, and could cut to fit. I'd assume you would need to either bring them the mostly complete old glass, or at least the stove door for them to cut a new piece. Thats where i'd start...... is a local glass shop. Its not something i'd expect the big chain windshield replcement shops to have on hand.

Last year I looked into getting a spare for mine until I saw the price. And that was for generic cut to fit. I bought a spare stove instead hehehehe.

I go thru atleast one piece of tempered glass a year on my fireplace.

Tempered is good to a temperature of about 450F. There is another glass that my local glass shop recommended that is good to 1200F, but its about 6 times the cost. Im paying $20/sq ft for tempered so its not much to break one or two a year.

I go thru atleast one piece of tempered glass a year on my fireplace.

Tempered is good to a temperature of about 450F. There is another glass that my local glass shop recommended that is good to 1200F, but its about 6 times the cost. Im paying $20/sq ft for tempered so its not much to break one or two a year.

In the long run the more expensive high temp glass would be cheaper. Mine is original to the stove over 30yrs old. I'm only thinking it will break do to miss handling. Besides I run my stove routinely between 600&700 degrees so tempered wouldn't work at all. Prices quoted are in line with what I found when I shoped around. Since my Nashua is my only source of heat I thought it would be good to have a spare. I found a stove since then so if need be I'll just go get the other door and set it on.

In the long run the more expensive high temp glass would be cheaper. Mine is original to the stove over 30yrs old. I'm only thinking it will break do to miss handling. Besides I run my stove routinely between 600&700 degrees so tempered wouldn't work at all. Prices quoted are in line with what I found when I shoped around. Since my Nashua is my only source of heat I thought it would be good to have a spare. I found a stove since then so if need be I'll just go get the other door and set it on.

The previous owner of this house installed the fireplace. On a cold night a few years back, I broke my first piece of glass. It looked like tempered so that is what I replace it with. this year, after I broke one, I ordered two pieces. when I picked them up, I was talking to the lady and thats when I found out about the other glass for higher heat applications.

Back