Where's the eBay bargains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been watching eBay for a few weeks to buy a used Stihl saw case and have found that there are no deals on these.

I thought maybe I could get a deal on this Stihl case when it was just a few bucks startin out - then the next thing you know it was $ 36.00. With the shipping charge of $ 11.35 to get it to me = $ 47.35 Total (And another $ 1.65 if I want it insured).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160205772942&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=006

When a new one at the dealer is $ 39.95 and when you add the tax of $ 2.40 the total to support my local dealer is $ 42.35.

Why is someone willing to pay an extra $ 5.00 to deal with some out of town stranger to buy a second hand (but maybe unused) case?

Last edited:
ebay

some people aint got any brains. others just like too try and save money. ebay is a hard place to get good deals on with out lotsa practice:)

I think it is like going to an auction in the city vs. a farm auction: new buyers at auction or ebay assume it must be a deal and don't have a clue of the real value.

I see splitter pumps and valves selling for more $$ than the new cost AND more dollar than the new cost the ebay seller put in the ad!

Where I do use ebay a lot is in specialty, small niche market parts for vintage trials motorcycles. Small world of buyers and sellers and that group tends to know value and not get carried away, yet knows when something is hard to find.

as usual, buyer beware.

I never cared for hard case anyway, even the new ones that fit a saw with scabbard. Don't hold enough parts, still end up taking the plastic box of stuff anyway. Maybe for garage storage? Gave one away on craigs list.....

I was trying to buy a new stihl bar and chain on there last week. The 24inch bar and chains was going for $15 dollars more then the local dealer sells them for. That's after tax. People really pay for not having to drive to the store.

Scott

I recently sold an old rough running 017 for about $100 on eBay. I don't know why people pay that much for these saws. The condition was listed in the description and I got great feedback from it.

I have to agree that there are few deals out there on Stihl saws on Ebay. I have been burned buying saws on Ebay, and gotten some good saws that were indeed as described. Its a crap shoot. I only buy saw parts there now, and even that is insane. Some stuff I get for real cheap (like a carb for a 210 for $5). Other stuff gets bid up out of control (shill bids?). Bars and chains are insane there too. More than the price over the counter.

Overall it is not worth the time and/or the risk buying on Ebay at the prices seen there. Selling is another matter. I have bought broken saws for about $30 and parted them out on Ebay for over $100.

Getting harder to find, but I'll give you an example:

034 bought as spares repairs starter missing. Cost including shipping £61 about $115 US
c9_1_b.jpg

Second hand starter assembly from Curt Bailey, new sprocket, new Stihl 20" bar and chain, chain at dealer price £25 (ouch) + couple other bits. Total in it about £117, say £225 US?

Nothing wrong with the saw ran superbly cleaned it up.
034.jpg

Sold him for £295 + shipping maybe $580 US. Clear profit £168/$300+

Not bad for a hobby. A good day on the bay.

my experience shows that that you will never get a good deal on a saw, weather parts or whole. Occasionally you will get a deal on parts, but the this is rare. I scour ebay all the time because i am in college and sometimes i get bored. I scored 2 lg mount stihl bars 13 inch and 15 inch for 6.00 each, and they shipped with a roll of square ground chain (20 ft) i got for 38 bucks. Last night i got a NOS stihl 075/076/ts760 piston and rings shipped for under 9.00. deals on parts do exist but you have to put your time in, and like i said dont even waste you time on genuine stihl tools, accessories, or saws for that matter. GO TO YOUR DEALER!

Almost never will you get a good bargain on Stihl equipment on E-Bay in strict financial terms. As someone else mentioned, the lure of E-Bay to many people is not having to drive to a store, convenience if a dealer is not within driving distance, and selection on hard to find parts and tools.

Still, I can't imagine why used 029s and MS290s sell for more on E-Bay than you can buy one for new at the dealer. It amazes me every time I watch a saw from beginning of auction to end. People overpay almost every time on E-Bay. I've overpaid many times myself if it's a hard to find item, but MS290s ain't that hard to find.

Got an almost-new 038 mag the other day (bcorradi found it). Almost new 72CC Stihl for $325 Cash. They're out there, but you gotta have your ear to the ground like Brad. :greenchainsaw:

DSCF0816.jpg

Last edited:
Ebay is not always the bargin it used to be for most things, but deals can be had with persistance. The exact reasons for excessive prices awarded is complex, though mostly people caught up in the fever. Not unlike a real, local auction. I was just at one this past Sunday and people were paying crazy prices for stuff, needless to say I walked out of there empty handed. Ebay charges for the sellers has gone steadily up over the last few years as well taking bite out of the profit margins. May not seem like much when listing one or two items, but it sure catches up with you over time. Another consideration is some things we find readily accessible locally, that seem to go above retail may not be available where the seller is. Or least not easily, or they'd just rather have the brown shirted guy deliver it as opposed to driving somewhere themselves.

I did score a nice saw recently from a relatively local seller, without the help of sniping I might add. Pure impulse I must say, but couldn't help myself.:help: It was going too reasonably, especially w/o needing shipping.....
And because I was picking it up directly I was able get the bar & chain as well that would not have been shipped.

Of course due diligence is needed to watch out for the scammers.:censored:

Last edited:
Ebay - it's crack for the middle income stay home america.

got to start posting junk for sale one of these days.

One thing that drags prices higher on Ebay are overseas buyers. Stihl prices in the US are way lower than overseas. Also the price of the dollar is in the tank, so that makes them even more appealing off shore.

There are good deals on e-bay, but it seems luck determines the outcome as much as anything. I found a 32'' bar and chain combo at a really good price last summer. They were the old Poulan Pro's for the old 505,475's. Plus it was a holiday weekend. The seller didn't know what they fit, and only listed the Poulan models. She had a pile of them, and I had been outbid on one on friday of the same weekend. That guy got one for like 20 bucks. I think I payed like $32. I should have gotten the 28'' also.

If you are looking for a cheep saw box, look for those Craftsmen ones. I found one of those big square ones in the garbage and several of my saws fit inside it. Not all at once.

I just watched 2 Stihls go for What I thought was a reasonable price. An 038mag and an 046. I missed the end of the 038 but the 046 went for $300.
Both were sold by that Saw King dude and that guy always has good feedback.

i sold an MS260 pro, on ebay a few months ago for more than i gave for it new! after the auction, i emailed buyer and said " you do realize your bid is more than new". he responded and said nearest dealer is 100 miles from his home and just to ship it. i refunded his freight and shipped it. he was tickled. sometimes there is a reason.i have bought quite a few saws on ebay and for the most part, they were exactly what i expected. bought a MS360 pro, for 100.00 the other day. was locked up. figured dead crank. turned out rings where stuck to cyl from sitting so long. looked like may have been washed after used last. honed cyl, freed up rings and put it back together. has run about 40 tanks thru it since and runs great. there are good deals but a lot is luck. as always, buyer beware.......

One thing that drags prices higher on Ebay are overseas buyers. Stihl prices in the US are way lower than overseas. Also the price of the dollar is in the tank, so that makes them even more appealing off shore.

Like windthrown has said the overseas buyers and even us Canadians pay more for saws up here as the price for new saws seem near double what is paid for them in the US. For an example a MS 440 goes for 1099.69 with 16 "bar and chain no extra"s, a new 372 XP with 20" bar and chain is1234.66 with no extra`s. These prices include taxes and are taken from my sales receipt right here on my desk. So that is why guy`s like myself seem to pay outrageous prices for items on eBay and guy`s from the US think we pay too much or more than they would pay for a saw or parts but they seem like a bargain for us.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back