Where's the eBay bargains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching at least 30-40 chainsaw items on my "watch list" every since I signed on here and got this chainsaw disease.

Have only bought two. One was stupid and Crown Royal induced. The other was no bargain, either. (sober)

Used Stihls bring STUPID money on e-bay.

I've seen, regularly, used (advertised "as new") Stihl Pro saws (026, 260, 36 Pro, magnum, 044's, Ms 440's, 66, MS 660's, etc bring within $100 or more (PLUS shipping) of the price of a Brand NEW saw (with no warranty or dealer support)???? Also.....almost every one of these saws are listed "AS IS"

I've seen antique Stihls bring incredible money. (090 $2000.00, as is!)

Why am I still watching all these items?
To get a feel for the market. (research)
There are, virtually NO used saws in in the local papers (penny saver, etc,) with for sale ads for used chainsaws. Reason? Just old, useless saws.
Locals have no clue what these old saws bring.
Monday morning I am going to put an ad in the local paper-penny saver that says "wanted to buy, old chainsaws, cash paid".

We'll see how it works out.

At the very least, I'm going to advise my wife to put my saws on e-bay, after I pass, rather than on the hay rack at the eatate sale!

I tried the wanted saws in the local paper. Never got any calls. Stihls here sell for a premium. Not as bad as Ebay, but 50-75% of new, and they get snapped up fast.

I have been watching eBay for a few weeks to buy a used Stihl saw case and have found that there are no deals on these.

I thought maybe I could get a deal on this Stihl case when it was just a few bucks startin out - then the next thing you know it was $ 36.00. With the shipping charge of $ 11.35 to get it to me = $ 47.35 Total (And another $ 1.65 if I want it insured).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160205772942&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=006

When a new one at the dealer is $ 39.95 and when you add the tax of $ 2.40 the total to support my local dealer is $ 42.35.

Why is someone willing to pay an extra $ 5.00 to deal with some out of town stranger to buy a second hand (but maybe unused) case?

People lost track in the middle of the bidding. Ebay is not a good place to buy stuff except for discontinued items that you have no choice. The price start low and stay low until the last 30 seconds and everybody start bidding like crazy. I bought old trimmer engines on ebay just because I don't know anywhere here sell them. You have to be very careful on the shipping and handling.

I do see trimmers and equipments selling new on ebay as "buy it now" the price seemed ok. To bid, unless you have a strong will power, keep trying even you constantly get out bidded at the last minutes, you better off buying some where else. It can be time consumming.

Ebay is proof that a fool and his money shall soon part ways. It is also proof that there is no such thing as a worthless chainsaw.

The bargains are there, but not as plentiful as they used to be. Lots of patience and sniping software are the tools needed to be successful today. Those with access to craigslist sellers have an extra edge.

You nailed it. EBay is certainly a better sellers market. The bargains are still there but far and few between, all it takes is diligence, patience, good judgment and a little check up on the seller when possible. I have yet to be burned, knock on wood but, I've only purchased 2 saws. However, I've purchased a couple bushels of parts and accessories. Some expect to go to eBay, pick what they want and pay way under the market value on pristine hard to find items. As I said, it does still happen but it's like waiting for a fool and his money being departed, in reverse. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, the buyer/seller becomes savvy over time. It's like the guy that wants his dealer to stock every thing he could ever need, bend over backwards and sell it all at cost or less. It's just not going to happen, at least for long. If it's not worth it, don't buy it, nobody has a gun to your head. If it's something you really want and you get out bid, obviously somebody had more money or wanted it worse. Nothing to cry over, just facts of life. Please, nobody take offense, I'm not speaking of anyone personally, just in general. Yes, Craig's List is probably a better bet, for a buyer, but it is changing quickly also. You always have to beware of the unscrupulous seller and buyer for that matter. This goes for eBay, Craig's List or even locally. The obvious advantage to the local is hopefully being able to find them for some field adjustment if necessary.:buttkick:
Some "Old School" tactics still prevail.:popcorn:

a lot of these "deals" always have a little something or 'nother out of whack.

The price looks tempting for the 038, but what if the carb needs a rebuild? What if the condenser is just about shot?

It seems tempting, but after one or two repairs, it won't be all that cheap, either.

But heck, it's a carpshoot, so go for it, let us know how it works out.

Decent bargins do exist..........

......maybe not a "steal", but certainly worth every penny to me. I picked up this very sweet 028 Super for well under $200. It runs excellent, has 165 lbs warm compression, carb recently rebuilt, new fuel line, filter and plug. I was also able to pick up locally(relatively) so no shipping cost, plus I was able to get the B/C that was not part of the auction and would not have shipped with the power head. Bar is a little beat, but I think I can dress it up or keep as a beater bar for those dirty jobs. The chain is freshly ground with 3/4 life still in it. The only flaw I can find I could find is two cracks in the clutch cover, definitely serviceable, but I have spares if I desire to pretty it up. I picked it up from a dealer, figured it was a left repair or trade in but the owner told it was just a saw they kept around the shop for many years and decided to unload it.

Best part, I did not even have to use sniping software, just put in what I was willing/able to spend impulsively and I lucked out. There's no hiding my soft spot for these saws, but have two that have served me well for over 15 years so their reputation is well ingrained with me.

Back