Which 028 Do I have

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a Stihl 028 missing all the orange cover plastic. Actually the only 2 things it is missing. Without pulling the cylinder can the serial # tell me what model 028 it is? Serial # 212668703. Is it a 028 AV, woodboss, Super?

Pull muffler.look for a bump on the top of the piston.bump 46mm super.no bump 42mm or 44mm.metal tank 42mm.hand guard 42 mm or 44mm.chain brake 44 or 46.

Pull the muffler and put a straw in the cylinder through the port. Turn the motor until the piston crimps the straw, measure straw to the crimp

42 44 or 46 mm
I know quite a few peeps recommend the straw method, but I haven't had good luck with getting a clear accurate reading using a straw. Instead, I take a strip of single ply (template) cardboard & trim the end to a little tighter radius than the cylinder (to make sure the center of the strip touches the wall) & use the same method as a straw. I make the strip as wide as what will fit through the exhaust port. Somebody else mentioned using a wood popsicle stick. That sounds like it would work real well, also. The straw method seems to work for a lot of guys, I just couldn't get a clear imprint. The reason I like cutting the template wide, is it actually gives you an imprint of the radius of the cylinder. It also gives me a reason to use those template trimmings that I always throw in the drawer. lol

Darrell

I built one 028 out of four. One was a Super, which had a brake, & one of the Wood Boss's had one, also. They are two different styles of mechanism's. Actually, out of all four saws, there were hardly ANY duplicate parts.

Darrell

It does have a chain brake. It is newer style plastic handle. I had an 028 with the older metal style rear handle. I dont remember what that one was. I ve owned quit a few 028s. Actually had AVs, wood bosses, and supers. All worth there weight in my opinion.

Back