Which 24-strand? fly vs velocity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boynature

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering what the preferred 24-strand kernmantle climbing line is. I've only used 16-strand arbormaster but would like to try something a little lighter. Whats your fav? Fly, Velocity or anything else? do you like the tight eye splice on the velocity?

Fly has a bulky splice, velocity has ickky coating..I mean, sticky coating.

Blaze.

Oklahoma Arborist Supply has some. Call david!

love
nick

I couldn't remember what rope most of the guys liked when I was at the TCI Expo. I did remember seeing Blaze come up quite a bit and thought it was the one NOT to buy. :cry: I ended up buying 200 ft. of fly. I tried it out and seems to work just fine. Next year I'll be sure to get some Blaze.

I really don't understand the complaint I keep hearing about Velocity and it's coating. I've really not noticed it at all, though I haven't used the other ropes...well, once on the fly, it was nice. I think Velocity is a fantastic rope, great working ability, and at 5.6lbs per 100 feet is the lightest rope available (I'm pretty sure). Of course it's always personal preference, but I'm fond of this stuff, after twenty or so years of 16 strand. I'm wondering how hard it is to splice, the eyes on ropes I've bought are barely large enough to force a 'biner through. Sherrill says it's the properties of the rope and needs to be spliced like that.

I've got no complaints with Velocity. That "sticky" coating seemed to wear off quickly. I found the VT worked better for me, than my usual Distel. Some "grippy" gloves will help a bit with the smaller line.

That said, I'm ordering some Blaze to try.

The first runs of velocity had more sticky, which drew complaints, so they toned it down, possibly a couple times. I've heard washing the rope will remove most of the sticky, and found use reduces the sticky too.
When a product comes out and has a problem, people still talk about the problem for a long time, like it still exists.
The velocity is a bit thinner than the Blaze, I think, and its' hand is a bit stiffer.

Velocity is more firm. I love that rope. Blaze is a bit more bouncy, a characteristic I don't really prefer. Blaze is a pretty good rope, though kinda mushy, meaning it ovalizes when compressed, even with firm finger pressure.

I bought 200' of New England KMIII. They call it an 11 mm static line, but it has a bit of stretch to it and for the little I've used it so far, looks like a winner. I like the fluorescent green color.

Tree Machine said:
... Blaze is a pretty good rope, ... it ovalizes when compressed, even with firm finger pressure.

I've not noticed this, and I've used several hanks of it. Stays very round for me.

Treemachine, maybe you're pulling sideways on it?! :D

love
nick

Hi Nick! Just squeeze it between your fingers. Then squeeze a Velocity or a Vector. You'll be able to tell a difference.

It shouldn't matter at all, though, using a friction hitch because your friction is even all around the rope (circumferential). I use devices, so the friction is most often compressional, coming from opposite sides. This is where you would notice a difference in performance. Minor, but I look for the fine nuances.

Vector is the firmest of the 11 mm semi-statics, that I've found so far, but I'll be running the KMIII over the next year, alongside Blaze and Velocity and 7/16" Stable Braid.

Back