Which 70cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gargantuo

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good 'do it all' saw in the 70cc range, and so far, I can't make up my mind. The choice is between Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonsered because there are multiple dealers for each of those brands near me. I'm sure I can't go wrong, but I'm hoping somebody here can help me tip the scales. Thanks.

440 is my favorite, it's not listed in the Stihl catalog but sill available.

044/440/046/460 either or are 70cc and hey its a stihl, i prefer orange and white. :rock:

Try out all of them see which one fits best.All good saws but the MS440 fit me better.Where in Mi are you if close I can hook you up to try the 440 and 372.

if you can find a new 372xp or a good used one you won't look back
Heck you've had 3 different "favorite" manufacturers within the last year...echo, stihl, and now husky. 2012 might be a good year to jump onboard with Dolmar ;).

Iam sorry but for me the 372 just takes the ticket every time Ive had 3 must be biased lol

Its impossible for any of us to define whats best for you, all we can do it pontificate at length about what we would do in your situation with our priorities and your money..:msp_wink:

My personal favorite saws include the Husqvarna 372XP, Jonsered 2172 (2171 too) and Stihl 441. The power heads all weigh in the 14 lb range on these saws, (the 372 a little less and 2172/441 a little more)

They all have very good vibration dampening systems and air filtration systems. They are all roughly in the same price range. The dealers can swing the price but expect to pay in the $800 dollar range out the door taxes included. Some a little more, some a little less. Those saws are selling in my area $775 plus tax at a local dealer.

I didn't put the 460 in the mix as I just like the 441 more because of the vibration and air filter systems. There are a LOT of folks who don't see those two things as important. Most of them are younger and stronger than I. After years of motorcycle racing & riding vibration means either a day in the woods or numb hands watching tv.

Dealers play a large role. The Jonsered dealer I work with, is in my humble opinion; one of the best there is. Period. I like the look of the Jonsered better than the Husqvarna. Its a toss up with the Stihl..so dealers was a huge factor in my decision. As did the look of the saw (all other things roughly equal). Price was better, but after I already had made up my mind.

The reason it was between three and not just two was, ( I wanted either a Stihl or Jonsered and was in the rationalizing stage for one vs. the other) I kept having a chance to run this 372XP (X-torq) and it kept surprising me with its power, lack of vibration, weight, just all things related to performance. I would run a variety of saws in a day, then run it and it was just an ass kicker! (A little noisier too) BUT..at the end of the day, the Jonsered got the pick for me. Still the best looking of the three and the 2171/2172's I had a chance to try were right there with the 441's and 372's, you could throw a blanket over all three's performance as they are a statistical match. (Damn..think I selected women that way too when I was younger...:msp_scared:)

Last edited:
I'm looking for a good 'do it all' saw in the 70cc range, and so far, I can't make up my mind. The choice is between Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonsered because there are multiple dealers for each of those brands near me. I'm sure I can't go wrong, but I'm hoping somebody here can help me tip the scales. Thanks.

Hi Gargantuo:

Why do you think you need a 70cc saw (unless you just want a 70cc saw)? What kind and how big will your wood be? How many cord a year will you be cutting? Nothing wrong with a good big pro saw, but it'll cost ya. And unless yur pretty saw savy, stay away from any used saw as you wouldn't know if yur getting a good saw or junk.

There are a lot of Stihl MS290 Farm Boss bashers and lovers on this site. I'm one of the lovers. I have one and it will do everything I'll ever ask a chain saw to do. And it does it at a decent price (around $350 brand new). I cut 10 cords of firewood a year. Cut quite a few 25"+ trees, but mostly 14" to 18". Stihl sells more 250's and 290 then all of their other models combined. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of them in use. The 290 ain't fancy, or high tech. It uses old tried and true technology, and flat gets the job done. Here's a link. MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS® - Powerful Mid-Range Chain Saw | STIHL I prefer a 16" chain as it has less reciprocating mass and better optimizes the 290's 3.8 HP.

Even though I own a few, I'm really not pro Stihl. You should check out all the major brands and get what you want, can afford, and are most comfortable with. Don't let us talk you into anything. We're just sharing our personal experience with you to give you some food for thought.

Probably best to buy from a chain saw dealer for the added support. He should tune your new saw, show you how it works, and insist that you read the owners manual TWICE! He should also do a free carb adjustment after a few hours of use. If you pay list price for a saw, ask him to throw in an extra chain at no charge.

Just about any new saw you get is gonna be a really great saw. Maintain it properly, keep the chain sharp, and it will last you a lifetime. Above all, STAY SAFE !

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb is to avoid the current high tech cool aid saws. That said you should look for a new MS440 (they're out there), or a nice used 372 xp/xpw. A jonny 2165 would be an excellent score also, you could build it up to a 2171 later.

try the hybrid 70cc its a 044 bottom end with a husky jug and air filter and outbord clutch off a homelight ,it also has a dolmar 7900 carb and exhaust ,now thats the king of 70cc

Hi Gargantuo:

Why do you think you need a 70cc saw (unless you just want a 70cc saw)? What kind and how big will your wood be? Nothing wrong with a good big pro saw, but it'll cost ya. And unless yur pretty saw savy, stay away from any used saw as you wouldn't know if yur getting a good saw or junk.

There are a lot of Stihl MS290 Farm Boss bashers and lovers on this site. I'm one of the lovers. I have one and it will do everything I'll ever ask a chain saw to do. And it does it at a decent price (around $350 brand new).

Have to say this is the best "bang per buck" saw Stihl has in their line up priced in the $350 to $400 dollar range and some good stuff. If you look at the spec sheets, so is the MS441! They are priced under both the MS-440 and MS-460 saws of similar configuration and just a little more than the MS-362. The 441 looks to target the Husqvarna 372 & variant offerings in price and features..)

Other "Bang per buck" offerings out there include the Husqvarna 365 and 555. Both can be had in the $600 dollar range. The 365 is a 70cc saw now according to their spec sheet and the 555 a 60cc saw.

The MS290 looks to be designed to meet head on the box store offerings like the Husqvarna 455 and 460 line. I've never put a lot of time on either a 390 or 460...but lived with a 455 for a while. It did a lot of work at this farm. Good farm saw. (The charm of the 455 is that it ALWAYS started, even in the sub zero weather, it sips fuel and always finished its job. Its just a little porky for the power it makes. Back to my last posting in analogy's? won't go there this time:) Its an easy keeper.) Its going to be retired when the Jonsered 2260 appears for the same reasons I bought the 2172 over the 440, 460, 372 etc...:msp_w00t: )Real tempted to jump at a 555 though) (BTW I have put time on a Stihl 310 a friend has...its a very nice saw too.)

Last edited:
Back