Which axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moronmountain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was wondering what axe everyone is using for driving wedges when felling? Like brand, head weight, handle length, etc?

Antique craftsmen 3.5-4 pound? single bit, with a 26" handle, handle length is determined by the old boy scout method of using a stick to judge tree hieght, distance from eyeball to thumb with arm held straight in front. Seems I've answered this one before...

probably not wise or smart, I keep it sharp enough to shave hair...

Five pound head, 26" straight handle. I don't know the brand...I found it in a scrap pile years ago. The heavier head seems to make driving wedges a little easier. I couldn't find a regular straight handle so I just cut the end off of a curved one. I also ground the head down a little to make it flatter and give the head a flatter surface for hitting wedges.

I don't keep a razor sharp edge on it because I'm always carrying it in my belt or on my saw bar when the saw is on my shoulder. It's sharp enough to chop with if I need to, which is seldom, but not so sharp that it's going to decapitate me if I fall on it.

Last edited:
4.5lbs kelly true (I think it a michigan patt) 26" straight custom handle, I ground it slightly thicker and dressed the poll a bit, Like others it got an edge enough if I need to clean bark or brush out if I feeling energetic lol. I use it if I'm climbing to

Main thing I'd suggest is make sure the shaft and head are well fitted and check it regularly .....it has been known for a head to part company whilst swinging .....and it kinda upsets folks around ya not to mention ya having to go look for it lol

I have estwing hatchet head cant come it...its part of the handle lol. I think I am going to get a fiskars axe.... I saw a guy shop through 5/8' sage cable with one chop and not leave a mark on the head.

ha, so i ain't crazy for likein the short strait handle. I seem to be much more accurate with it.
strait handles hard to find here. bought couple at flea market last summer.

I don't keep a razor sharp edge on it because I'm always carrying it in my belt or on my saw bar when the saw is on my shoulder. It's sharp enough to chop with if I need to, which is seldom, but not so sharp that it's going to decapitate me if I fall on it.

Yeah I worry about cutting myself on it too, when hiking in I keep it in one of them hammer holder things on my wedge belt facing sternwards. While working it mostly stays next to the stump somewheres.

I use it to bump knots on the landing sometimes, and I like taking one swing to sever a 3" stem, makes me feel all mannish and bad ass

You guys really can't find straight handles? That seems weird...

Last edited:
Over here lol.....not a chance.....I gotta make em and handles for double bits lol they look at ya like you nuts

Straight handles can be had at many hardware stores, menards, in my area mills fleet farm or other farm/fleet supply places. It doesn't really matter if you're cutting it down to about 2 ft or so. I've got mine at about 22" I think. It hangs on my wedge belt unless I need it and rarely gets hung up in the brush back there. Its a 4.5lb head I think. Easy to swing one handed, but I can still get two hands on it. I bought a Truper 3.5lb (no 5lbers around here) and added a pound to the pall which extended that much farther out. Like Gologit said you want the pall flat, but keep the corners rounded off so you don't chew up yer wedges. Also mine is not very sharp and I did fall on it last week. Damn sidehill exposed roots! Stepped on er in the only spot my corks couldn't grip it. The rain and leaf litter didn't help much either.

Last edited:
I don't get paid to fall trees but this is what I use

002-8.jpg

Council 3 1/2 lbs straight handle 26"

Last edited:
In terms of what you can walk into a shop tomorrow and buy, I'm quite happy with my Council axe...No idea of the dimensions, other than it fits me. Drives wedges nicely and chops nicely when you #### up on Lone Ranger duty.

How come is it that you only get really ####ing hung up when, your all alone? and its a long walk back to the crummy for a spare bar/saw...

I hung both saws saturday... stupid back leaning tiny assed little pecker poles... knew I should backed it first but no I'm way to cool to try that stupid trick... Oh and broke a good wedge off in it.:mad:

i think its a 4lb. Collins head. the handle is knew just two weeks ago. Friction tape down at the hang-on-to part of the handle. 26" in length. Its an oldie but a goody. Only saw i ever smashed was a day i just knew i didn't need to carry no ax. But the cat skinner on that other job should have been lookin better.:msp_rolleyes:

How come is it that you only get really ####ing hung up when, your all alone? and its a long walk back to the crummy for a spare bar/saw...

I hung both saws saturday... stupid back leaning tiny assed little pecker poles... knew I should backed it first but no I'm way to cool to try that stupid trick... Oh and broke a good wedge off in it.:mad:

Directionally falling small timber will make a fool out of anybody...

Back