Which axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Directionally falling small timber will make a fool out of anybody...

I concur-worst i ever came to an end was in 10"-14" pecker poles. A friggin' little breeze, hot weather, and end of day fatigue....and no axe!!! Yes that was the day i lost me saw.:bang:

4 lb Dayton pattern Jeep axe, 28" curved handle. I have a couple of them. I also like 2.5 lb heads on 18" rafting handles. Handier, but don't drive as well. Depends on what I'm doing.

Cool... I'm not the only one that likes the curved handle. 5 pounder single bit for me... and for some reason the curved handle feels right when I hold the axe backwards to slam wedges. Don't know why... just duz... :)

Gary

How come is it that you only get really ####ing hung up when, your all alone? and its a long walk back to the crummy for a spare bar/saw...

I hung both saws saturday... stupid back leaning tiny assed little pecker poles... knew I should backed it first but no I'm way to cool to try that stupid trick... Oh and broke a good wedge off in it.:mad:

I guess it was good I wasn't there, lol.
We could of Hung 4 saws.
I use both the small and the big axe, both are in the crummy.
I usually go about 10 steps , then go and grab one , if I don't that's when I need it.

How come is it that you only get really ####ing hung up when, your all alone? and its a long walk back to the crummy for a spare bar/saw...

I hung both saws saturday... stupid back leaning tiny assed little pecker poles... knew I should backed it first but no I'm way to cool to try that stupid trick... Oh and broke a good wedge off in it.:mad:

You also get hung up when somebody is taking pictures or video. Or when somebody that you really want to impress with your skill is watching...like the bullbuck or the siderod. Most of them have the good grace not to laugh at you. Until they're out of sight anyway.

You also get hung up when somebody is taking pictures or video. Or when somebody that you really want to impress with your skill is watching...like the bullbuck or the siderod. Most of them have the good grace not to laugh at you. Until they're out of sight anyway.

Oh I agree posing for picks or to impress the boss invariably is when things go south fast...

An older picture, the smaller head has had about four or five handles since. Anyway the smaller one weighed something like 5.5lbs with the handle and the bigger one like 7lbs. The longer handle is 36". You can tell where I added to the pall on both axes. You really gotta watch out when smacking wedges with the bigger one. She drives like a champ. but you can mush em up pretty quick.

attachment.php

View attachment 297597

Those handles look like night stick handles lol in ain't getting on your wrong side lol

When ya say ya added the poll did ya fire weld it or what......just interested

Those handles look like night stick handles lol in ain't getting on your wrong side lol

When ya say ya added the poll did ya fire weld it or what......just interested

Nope just stick welded some stacks of 1/4" plate to it and then ground it mostly clean. I can strike an arc and run a grinder, but I'm no metal worker!

Nope just stick welded some stacks of 1/4" plate to it and then ground it mostly clean. I can strike an arc and run a grinder, but I'm no metal worker!

Cool bro if it works it works ......if ya don't have it .....make it or modify it

I don't get paid to fall trees but this is what I use

002-8.jpg

Council 3 1/2 lbs straight handle 26"

Got one looks a lot like this only it's a 5 pounder. Some days it feels much heavier though. 5 pounds with a strait handle just fits nice. Don't know the length on the handle, whatever it is it swings good and hits as square as I can.

Starting to see a whole bunch more guys with them little Stihl hatchet things. I just am not able to bring myself to even try. All the guys who taught me would come back and never let me have a good nights sleep again.

Owl

I use a fiskers X15. Works well but I have tested their warnenty once. And had a dealer tell me not to return them to them. Needless to say I won't do business with them any more.

Ray

The wife was out of town with the older 2 kids last weekend leaving me with the 4 year old twin boys. I've learned the cheapest way to entertain them for a few hours is to go to lowe's and let them play on the lawn tractors. I figure if the Husqvarna lawn tractor can't survive 2 monkeys jumping on it, it's not gonna last long anyway, but the lowes employees start hovering after a while. That had nothing to do with nothing, but while we were there I saw a 4lb mini-sledge (18" maybe?) for 20 bucks and actually thought about buying it to pound wedges. Then I remembered I am not a pro-faller and already have way too much stuff to accomplish something I don't actually do:liquor:

The wife was out of town with the older 2 kids last weekend leaving me with the 4 year old twin boys. I've learned the cheapest way to entertain them for a few hours is to go to lowe's and let them play on the lawn tractors. I figure if the Husqvarna lawn tractor can't survive 2 monkeys jumping on it, it's not gonna last long anyway, but the lowes employees start hovering after a while. That had nothing to do with nothing, but while we were there I saw a 4lb mini-sledge (18" maybe?) for 20 bucks and actually thought about buying it to pound wedges. Then I remembered I am not a pro-faller and already have way too much stuff to accomplish something I don't actually do:liquor:

Tools are an addiction man.. once you start you cannot stop. This is no cad.. this is worse than cad..It stems into welders... shop tools... then equipment... then more tools to work on that equipment... then more storage space to hold those tools .. then a bigger shop to work on the equipment..:dribble:

Tools are an addiction man.. once you start you cannot stop. This is no cad.. this is worse than cad..It stems into welders... shop tools... then equipment... then more tools to work on that equipment... then more storage space to hold those tools .. then a bigger shop to work on the equipment..:dribble:

It all started with a hammer, and a hatchet. Now there are big yellow machines with my name on em, and tractors, and anvils, and breaker bars...

Once you start its very hard to quite and the detox is very expensive (####ing mechanics)

northman, ya got to be your own mechanic.

The list of things I've paid some one else to fix is really short...

One bad fuel line in a chain saw (needed it the next day and not enough time to solve/ come back for parts...)

The cylinder on the skidder (time and equipment)

Uh... I think thats about it outside of tires (I really hate working on tires) unless you count the machining on a re-over-built 289? But I tore it down and put it back together.

I would just be really nice to have a roof and solid ground to work on stuff...

Latest posts

Back