Which Chain saw to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, since you are talking about 18" trees and your budget is $500, i would suggest you pony-up the extra $100 to get a 361. you won't be sorry. if you were telling me your budget was $400, i would say the 5100. if you plan to add a second saw, i would suggest you get a larger saw and a 346.

Depends on your budget and what you are cutting. If you are on a budget but want some pro construction go with a 510 Dolmar. A 5100s is a true commercial saw and is certainly fun to saw with! The 361 stihl is a good saw but for the money you spend with it you could get a 6400 dolmar and have more saw! I will throw another saw in the mix if you have someone near by. Take a look at a 600 echo it will match up very well to a 362 stihl and should save you a few bucks plus give you a better warrany!

I need some advice on the best chain saw to get for my use. I am a home owner with 2 fire places. I also own some land and will be cutting down trees to use for firewood. This will be my primary use for the saw. I have looked at several saws and not sure which would be best for my occasional use for firewood. I have looked at the Husky 460 Rancher, Dolmar PS5100s, Stihl MS290 Farm boss (recomended by the dealer), and from on here the Stihl MS 361. I am looking for a saw that is a good all around dependable saw but I am not sure if I need the power of the 361. Any ideas?
Thanks for your help in advance. I have a Stihl dealer 5 min. away and a Husky/Dolmar dealer about 20 min. away so I am not concerned about driving the distance if it is a better saw. If there is a saw I have not mentioned that you feel will be a better fit please let me know. I would like to stay below the $500.00 mark if possible. But I read alot of good things about the 361.
Jeff

Most of the trees I will be cutting are 18" or less. Locust mainly, some oak. If that helps.

I would avoid the "homeowner" saw options (460 and 290) - the 5100S will probably do the job just fine, but I would preferred the MS361 anyway......

Last edited:
I would suggest the jonsered 2150 its a very good saw and it sells for around 450.00. it should do what you looking for

Back