Which chain to use for dirty logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol dingeryote thats classic i got a good kick out of ur comment on hiring a kid with a wire brush. As far as the price i think my cuz is gonna buy it.

Ya. Weve done that before at my day job to wash our equipment, but we used a bigger tank. I doubt he's gonna wanna wash all otlf the logs though. He said something about going to the saw shop and looking to find some better chain. I learned about chipper chain being better chain to use on the landing if its dirty. But i wasn't sure if it makes that big of a difference or not. I told Jon (my cousin) that he would be better off putting the forks on the skidsteer and dumping all the logs in the pond nearby and have a log rolling contest.

Ya . My sugesyion is . If you can get the logs apart . Seperated . They can be cleaned up . If they are jamed together in a dirty deck . Your gonna have a major dull saw . All there is to it .

If you can get a cheapo round grinder and a small generator . Or a 12 volt model .
You will have alot more bar wear in mucky wood . Dontt hog your riders way down . Especially if your running a 660 . A saw can be dull as a dozer blade but still kick back like you betchya . . . I really feel for ya . . The hottest saw on the planet is a miserable peice of crap if it has a dull chain or bad bar .

so the carbide chains are made for cutting car doors and nails they do not last long in dirt and rocks. best bet is probably to get as many chains as you need to get through the day and sharpen all in one sitting. goes quicker that way...

Thats understandable, but, I get paid by the cord. If i had to sharpen it every half cord id be better off staying at home on the couch watching spongebob!

I hope I don't regret this . How much a cord are u getting . If u are supplying the saw bars and chain ya need to be making 200$ a day minumum . For 6 hours . And thats minimum .
So say 1/2 cord per hour but should be 3/4 x 40$ a cord . So figure dirty wood . Lots of fileingand 16" wood that would be 20-30$ an hour. So if u work 8 hours at half cord production your only grossing 160$
You need to be at a cord an hour really . It is alot faster to change a chain than to file a dull saw . Even 180$ a day beats sittin on the couch .

use skip tooth chains sharpening goes faster that way and its not like your cutting 8 cords a day! And I do mean the full 4'x4'x8', Chains in the long run are not that expensive and if you're not getting paid enough to have a couple of extra chains on hand you're just not getting paid enough to bother anyways...

I get paid $10 per face cord. I can cut about 3 FC an hour (when fhe wood is clean). But this is a second job may i add too i work for the state as my real job. I don't mind filing my chains but if i dull a chain in a half a fc of wood i would change my chains like 80 times. I do understand that thats a problem u run into with dirty wood but i just want some chain that might not have to be sharpened so often or else im not making money. I appreciate all the suggestions. According to the stihl website that was provided earlier in this thread the carbide chain is designed for dirty wood. I have never used it so dont jump down my throat as i am just quoting the site. Does anyone have experience with the duro carbide chain?

Last edited:
As far as i know there is no mud/dirt proof chain.
Sure there is... someone else's! :laugh:

I'm hoping that there is something i can do to lessen the sharpening and make more production.
How about one of those 'Wood Wizard' Things? It's like a debarker that bolts to the end of your bar and the saw chain drives it. I know you need a little longer chain or a shorter bar and you no longer have use of the last 4 or so inches of the bar or the tip. My choice would be a second saw dedicated to this purpose, maybe a cheap old one.

the carbide chains are priced out of most everyone's range unless you're a fire fighter, Yes carbide is hard and will last longer in harder more abrasive cutting conditions, but its also more brittle and extremely difficult to sharpen. The carbide is "silver soldered" to the chain and is prone to fly off for no apparent reason. Carbide WILL destroy a file in one swipe the only way to sharpen is with a diamond or Silicon grinding wheel and those cost as much or more then the chain not to mention the grinder to use it with. So it may work for you but your talking a lot of wood and a lot of money, be cheaper by far to get a pressure washer or a bark spud and clean the logs off before cutting. If yer relative is footing the bill for the chain let us now how it works. don't want to shut ya down any exter money in these time is good money.

If he buys it I'll be sure to put a review on here about it. As far as the price goes hes paying 30 a face cord to have it brought to his house and paying me 10 to cut it and only selling it for about 55 to 60 a fc so he won't pay 30 a fc to cut it there is no profit. I'd like to do some logging to make the real money but have noone to work for at the moment. We were getting the firewood off his dads property, but has changed his mind about doing wood that way. Is 30 a fc the going price just to cut someone elses logs where u are tramp bushler? How much is a fc of wood going for there? Mind u im not selling the wood just cutting it for my cousin to sell. He bought the logs.

Last edited:
Just got back from the saw shop. Cuz bought a 24" carbide chain. Haven't used it yet but im cutting later. We also bought some chipper chain too. Hopefully it lasts longer than the chisel did. By the way the carbide chain only cost him $140. Bettered work good for that much

If he buys it I'll be sure to put a review on here about it. As far as the price goes hes paying 30 a face cord to have it brought to his house and paying me 10 to cut it and only selling it for about 55 to 60 a fc so he won't pay 30 a fc to cut it there is no profit. I'd like to do some logging to make the real money but have noone to work for at the moment. We were getting the firewood off his dads property, but has changed his mind about doing wood that way. Is 30 a fc the going price just to cut someone elses logs where u are tramp bushler? How much is a fc of wood going for there? Mind u im not selling the wood just cutting it for my cousin to sell. He bought the logs.

We don't sell by the face cord .
I started bucking to stove length as a way to make up my fuel cost .. it takes me about 25 minutes to buck up a cord of 4' pulp wood to stove length . I match up 1 end of the stack and a 32 or 36" bar makes pretty quick work of it . I sell my wood . Sawn up for 230$ a cord . 200 for8' lengths . .for white spruce . If u think thats high . We pay around 4.30 a gal.for delivered heating oil

And ee get 5+6 week stretches where the temp doest't get above 0 with plenty of 40 below and some 50 below and colder ..
If I can't gross over 300$ a day I don't run a saw .
I used to try to out work being low priced . Not any more . I learned alot . And Ive learned if they want wood bad enough . They will pay for it . What saw and bar length are u running . . Bunch bucking is the only way to buck firewood for production .

You kindof got sandwiched on this deal . You r learning why us pro's are so fussy about what we do . A dull saw STOPS production . Which stops the money .
You may have to suffer thru this job . But in the future you will KNOW to check everything out before you bid a job . Sorry

I didnt bid the job i just work for him. I have been cutting for him for about 3 years. He told me that he was going to buy logs and got 2 loads at a time after i told him not to get anymore after they delivered the first one because it was too dirty. I have no contract with him or anything and have no commitment either. But i wanted to help him out too, and make money. As for the carbide chain he cut about 6 cord @ 18" with no problem and this stuff was the nastiest logs too.

carbide cuts it all and doesn't stop it does however take a lot more saw to pull it . rmc with just mud staining is bad enough . but carbide is pricey stuff the dealer told me it was 60 $ just to sharpen it. if things get that bad I'm waiting for rain first or at least looking for a clean side . its not too bad when they are drug out on one side but a whole log smeared id vote for picking a few guys up from a convenience store and buys wire brushes first .

Just finished my project with dirty wood and it cost about 3/4 of a RMC chain to get just under 2 cords stacked in the wood shed

Back