Which chain to use for dirty logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl~freak~13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just went to cut some firewood logs that are soaked in mud. I cut 17 pieces of wood and my saw was dul. Im running oregon semi skip chisel chain now. Is there a chain out there that i can get to cut these logs? I was thinking about getting chipper chain or carbide. Does anyone have any info on the durability of either? Thanks in advance.

An old one :laugh: ! No but all kidding aside, when we skid logs to the landing for firewood, we have the time to let the weather "wash" them off for us. As far as i know there is no mud/dirt proof chain.

Just use round file chain. We have the same problem here. I usually grind all my chains, so i have more on hand. Hand sharpen twice and replace with fresh one. You could always buy a pressure washer to clean the logs first:laugh:. I always tell my boss that when he complains about sharpening or stopping swap chains. It just happens.

I'm cutting for my cousin, and he has a preasure washer but the logs are stacked away from water and there is close to 30 or 40 cord there. I told him not to get any more than one load after i saw how dirty it was, but he got another load anyways.

Semi chisel or chipper will last longer but still dull in dirt.

I'm cutting for my cousin, and he has a preasure washer but the logs are stacked away from water and there is close to 30 or 40 cord there. I told him not to get any more than one load after i saw how dirty it was, but he got another load anyways.

Im really not try to be a smart A with this i have thought long and hard. Here it is: 55 gallon plastic barrells tapped to receive garden hose. Bam portable water. we have used twice for our log shovels that have gotten stuck. My boss wont go for it to have just sitting on the landing though.

Ya. Weve done that before at my day job to wash our equipment, but we used a bigger tank. I doubt he's gonna wanna wash all otlf the logs though. He said something about going to the saw shop and looking to find some better chain. I learned about chipper chain being better chain to use on the landing if its dirty. But i wasn't sure if it makes that big of a difference or not. I told Jon (my cousin) that he would be better off putting the forks on the skidsteer and dumping all the logs in the pond nearby and have a log rolling contest.

Ya. Weve done that before at my day job to wash our equipment, but we used a bigger tank. I doubt he's gonna wanna wash all otlf the logs though. He said something about going to the saw shop and looking to find some better chain. I learned about chipper chain being better chain to use on the landing if its dirty. But i wasn't sure if it makes that big of a difference or not. I told Jon (my cousin) that he would be better off putting the forks on the skidsteer and dumping all the logs in the pond nearby and have a log rolling contest.

Not sure on the chipper chain never used it, sorry. Log rolling might be fun though depending on the temp outside. you could just wait for it to rain a little to take some dirt off. It aint the best but better then nothing.

Ya rain would def help but some of the logs have over an inch of mud on them. The guy that he bought them for told him that they were clean. Lying sack of $hit anyways.

I'm cutting up dirt stuff right now and I put on and old chain and have another seating next to the gas can; I change it about every 30 minutes it seems like then head back to the barn and resharping both chains then back at it

some people around my area have been happy with the oregon 'multi cut' chain.

If you do not have the time to let the rain wash them and you need the wood right off you can take a axe or hatchet and cut a ring around the log.It takes time but you save on chains and filing.

some people around my area have been happy with the oregon 'multi cut' chain.

LOL!!! Been running it here too. Holds up almost as well as RMC, but if the mud is packed with any itty bitty pebbles, it's done. The working corner is tougher than LGX but it's still a working corner that gets buggered.

It sounds like OP needs a fire truck and about 130PSI from a 1.5" hose just to get to bark...a loop of Rapco might do it....if the drivers don't get buggered in all the mud under the clutch cover.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you do not have the time to let the rain wash them and you need the wood right off you can take a axe or hatchet and cut a ring around the log.It takes time but you save on chains and filing.

the op is asking about what chain people are running. not your opinion about letting the wood sit to get clean.:rolleyes2: re-read post #1.
some people need the wood cut as soon as it comes out of the bush. and letting the logs sit there for gawd knows how long until a rain storm stops by isn't making them money. the sooner you get the wood cut, the faster it dries.
again: the multi cut seems to be getting more and more popular around my parts. cuts well. last a loooong time and is very easy to sharpen.

Where can i get that multi cut chain? I intend to go to the stihl dealer tomorrow and look around and they have oregon chain there maybe they can help me out. There was another type of chain rmc mentioned on this thread too, and was wondering what that chain was about too.

I have used the round file whatever to cut logs that have been pulled out of a mud slide. Yup, it gets dull. But that's a fact of life when dealing with muddy stuff. Have a file handy and some extra chains. I filed way less than I figured during the two days of the slide cleanup.

Baileys has the multicut...it ain't cheap. Figure on 35 bucks + for a 20" loop.
One of your local Oregon dealers MIGHT have a 100' roll, but don't count on it. Most special order loops and let the distributor sit on the spools.

RMC is Stihls Semi-chisel. It's not chipper chain, but close.
Rapco is the Carbide rescue saw chain. It would be cheaper to hire a local kid with a wire brush, but it might work.

Any chance you could run a Trash pump from a nearby pond and spritz things down?
Brush cutter with one of those power sweeper heads? There's gotta be somethin'.
I feel for ya man.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ok thanks. Nevermind on the rmc question i knew what it was just had a brain fart. As far as the dirty logs being a fact of life; i understand that. But theres around 40 cord to cut and she's dull after less than half a cord. I think I'll be there a while and i don't make that much a cord to cut it. I'm hoping that there is something i can do to lessen the sharpening and make more production.

Back