which chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which chain

• stihl

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • oregon

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • carlton

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • silver streak

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
ok,, I figured I just might learn something plus this thread might help the noobies too,,, I was going to get a 100 foot roll of 3/8,,50 gauge,,non safety chain semi chisel,,, the person that I knew at the stihl/john deere dealer fell through for getting it for cost,,, I can get a roll of Oregon shipped for 300,, carlton is right at 350 and I believe the stihl is around 425,,, I like the carlton since it stays sharp for a decent amount of time but it stretches bad,, I have used the huskie/Oregon before and I liked it but I really like the stihl chain the best because of it not stretching near as bad and it stays sharp,,, what is everyones opinion,,, I know buy the stihl chain,, I am pretty sure the silver streak is out of the question,,

I have only used Oregon,Carlton and Stihl out of those listed. I like Stihl a little better. I have not seen any Carlton in years though.

Oregon because the cost is just 40% compared to Stihl. Unless it's clean wood for sure (not that often it seems), then I have some Stihls to put on.
Stihl is harder and less stretch, although the Oregon I have hasn't stretched that much either.

I've used both Stihl and Oregon and I prefer the Oregon. Stihl is definitely a harder chain and will hold a new edge longer, but let that edge go an it is a bear to bring it back without and electric grinder. I invested a whole lot of hours into one trying correct it by hand, still haven't decided if I'm just going to throw it away or not. Obviously the Oregon is not as hard, probably won't last as long, but is easier to maintain in my opinion. You can bring the edge right back to new in just a couple of file strokes, unless you really booger it. I haven't noticed any stretch yet. That's my $0.02

all depends on what kinda of wood and where ya live .. up here in canada south western ont. its all hard wood so i use stihl chains stay sharper in hard and dirty wood so when im logging i only need to carry 2 chains a day .. i did try Oregon chains down here they seem to be a softer metal and dual easyers. when i go up north when its summer and im off school . i run Oregon chains up in the soft wood in the canadain shield cuts way faster then stihl chains in nice green soft wood. hope this helps thanks

I was thinking about the same thing on the Oregon too,,, I have run some husky chain and I was surprised with the way it cut,, I can get a 100 foot roll of the Oregon for 300 shipped from my regular supplier

For what you have listed, and for the money I would go with the Oregon. But Ive had good luck with all 3, and havent noticed any bad stretching with the Carlton.

For what you have listed, and for the money I would go with the Oregon. But Ive had good luck with all 3, and havent noticed any bad stretching with the Carlton.

what I am running is chisel in carlton,,, I have to tighten at every fill up and its at least a 1/4 turn,,,, I am cutting red oak,, I am wondering if that might have something to do with the extra stretching,, it is oiling good,, 1 oil with 1 mix

what I am running is chisel in carlton,,, I have to tighten at every fill up and its at least a 1/4 turn,,,, I am cutting red oak,, I am wondering if that might have something to do with the extra stretching,, it is oiling good,, 1 oil with 1 mix

If you keep going you might get two chains out of it lol. I cut a lot of locust with mine, but havent noticed the stretch. Ive been pretty impressed with it so far, I would say it is pretty comparable to Stihl chain, normally priced decent too.

I have plenty of Oregon chain if I ever have to use it.:rock:
Stihl is my go to chain as long as I can get it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back