Which Chainsaw to buy??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Computeruser's 3 saw analysis is pretty much flawless, although if you spend too much time around here you'll likely end up with more than 3!

Go for the 50CC saw first. It may prove to be all that you really need. Even though the 30CC size is best for light trimming, if it is your only saw, you will frequently be running into wood that is too big for it.

The big saw is sometimes a bit harder to justify. If you will only rarely be cutting larger wood, then it would be a waste. But if you cut the larger stuff fairly often, you will very much appreciate the extra power.

Also keep in mind that for most of us, saws are as much of a hobby as a necessary tool, and that our advice is kind of slanted a little towards "more and bigger". As a dealer I see the whole spectrum. Some guys just want to add one to the collection. Others, haven't got the money to "play" with saws and you would be surprised at how much wood some people cut with cheap saws. Those saws of course don't last very long, and after a couple times, the person will learn that he needs to buy something that will last.

BlueRidgeMark said:
... 48" trees are not amatuer hour! That's some serious timber, and a rookie should NOT be trying to fell a tree that big![/B
One good thing - if you try it with the Poulan or the MS170, you'll grow old and die before you get enough wood cut to be dangerous. :laugh:
:hmm3grin2orange:
I totally agree, but since he was talking about a MS170, I took it for granted that he meant to say 4-8".....

Sorry folks I messed up.

OK looks like I messed things up here. I realized looking at my last post I said I was cutting trees no more than 48" in diameter. That is a mother of a tree. What I meant to say was circumference. 48" around so approx 15-16" across. That would be the biggest. I apologize for the confusion. I should have given my last post a better read. :bang:
With that said is a 50+ cc saw really needed or would something in the 30-40cc range work well. For instance the STHIL MS170,180 or the Husky 137,142. Unfortunately only 1 saw is an option for me, $$.
For the most part I will be cutting on weekends here and there. I will not be cutting serveral cords a year.
Again I apologize for the confusion and Thank You all for the suggestions and concern when you "saw" that I was looking to tackle such massive trees.

snowgecko71 said:
OK looks like I messed things up here. I realized looking at my last post I said I was cutting trees no more than 48" in diameter. That is a mother of a tree. What I meant to say was circumference. 48" around so approx 15-16" across. That would be the biggest. I apologize for the confusion. I should have given my last post a better read. :bang:
With that said is a 50+ cc saw really needed or would something in the 30-40cc range work well.

IMHO 50+cc (preferably around 60cc) is most certainly needed for 15"-16" trees. Earlier this year I timed my 025 (44cc) and 361 (59cc) in 11" dia gum - both saws bone stock. The 025 took approx 11 sec and the 361 approx 5 sec (actually a hair less). I use the 361 for everything over 6" because it's easier on me and the saw. The 44cc 025 is basically a 'trim' saw for me now and I use it to clear trails and shooting lanes on some hunting land. My 30cc CS-3000 gets no use, even though it is a fine little saw.

And FWIW, I don't have a fireplace or a wooded lot. I don't swing a saw all day; but I'm quick to take advantage of efficiency.

Chaser

I would still go for the 50cc saw.
It is never a bad thing to have MORE saw than you need.
It is always a bad thing when you don't have enough saw for your needs.

Get whatever brand saw you want, but my 50 cc Stihl 260 Pro weighs about the same as my 38cc Poulan and has a lot more power.

Start your search at 50cc and go from there. With 54 acres, you WILL have instances when you will need a bigger saw. I thought 50cc would be fine for me, then a wind storm blew down 3 hellacious sized oaks and now I wish I had bought a bigger saw than the 50cc.

Plus, who is to say you don't decide to heat with wood in the future. With 54 acres, you have a great wood supply for firewood. Maybe you will end up cutting 14 face cords per year like I do. If you buy the 170 now, you will be buying something big later. Gauranteed.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Snow, I have 600 acres of mixed hardwoods and soft in the Burks Falls area. I only take the deadfalls or blowdowns, leave the rest to grow up. Anyways, I bought an MS260, I soon found out that I needed a bigger saw for the job. I got tired of having to cut on boths sides of the log. Plus on some of the bigger hardwoods, it seemed like it was taking forever to get thru them. I went and bought an MS440 with a 20" bar. Trust me, my life could not have gotten any better! The 440 cut 10 bush cord for me last year, and will do the same for me again year after year! So, the moral of this story is, listen to what everyone has been telling you. Don't buy a saw with less power than say an MS361. You won't kick yourself in the butt for it!! Good luck!

Duane

I think you would be really disappointed in the stihl 170 and 180 IMO. I ran them for testing purposes to compare and they lacked power. My little poulan 220 would cut twice as fast as those 2 and they couldnt even stay in the shadow of my little poulan 2000.
Might look at the Dolmar 5100S 50cc for $325-$389.

I had a 170. That thing was great for the little stuff I was doing. I traded it to a neighbor who bought me a 250 plus I took down a 30" maple for them. The 170 did all of the aloft work and the 250 did all the ground work. That is probably the biggest tree I will bring down in suburbia so the 250 and 16" bar was fine. If I had more land like you, I would have the 260 as the #2 saw in computerusers list and I assume a 361 for the larger based on what others are saying here. Although I am not sure I would get the big saw as that 30" tree was pushing it for what I am comfortable with. Maybe in a few years but not right now. I like the Stihl support in my area so swap in the appropriate Huskies if that is the route you prefer.

Since you are new to sawing as I am this year, one thought is to start off with that small saw (170 or 180). Get your feet wet for cheap. Figure out what you want to do, can do and are not willing to do. That smaller saw will help keep you out of trouble earlier. I found it more forgiving and idiot proof than the 250. You'll appreciate the power that much more if and when you get a bigger saw. The pro saws have yet more power.

Do get the safety equipment too. No sense ruining a perfectly good day with a serious injury. Get a book or two on how to saw. Learn and practice safe techniques that the non-newbs do here naturally.

Good luck. Let all know what you decide to get.

Thanks for all the info...

I now have an idea of what range I should be looking at for the saw, 50cc+. It looks like I will be spending more $$'s than I anticpated so it will take me more time to aquire one. More time for research.
Thanks for all of the advice. I do have a couple of smaller trees that I can practice on before moving to the bigger ones.
I will take masiman's advice and pick up a book on how to saw. I definitely plan on getting a helmet and visor. I may have to wait on a set of chaps, $$.

338rum - 600 acres, nice. My 54 acres is just down the road from you. East of Bracebridge off Wood Lake by Vankoughnet.

Again Thank You all for your advice. This is a great site with lots useful information and the best members. :clap: I will be scanning it for more tips. I will update you when I decide on a saw.

Get the chaps, and learn how to keep your chain sharp. How fast do you plan on cutting all that wood? If you just want to go out on weekends, do a little thinning, have a little fun, a good 50cc saw might do the trick, a Stihl 260, Husky 353, Dolmar 5100s, Efco/John Deere/Cub Cadet 50-52cc, a Solo 651p and a few others would probably work. But, like others have said, if you splurge and get a Stihl 361, a Husky 357 or 359, you'll be glad you did. Keep the fun factor in mind.

Latest posts

Back