Which Echo model?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinari

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first chainsaw. I would like to go with Echo. There are so many models, I'm just not quite sure what might fit me best.

I don't expect to use it more than a few times a year, for no more than 2-3 hours each time. While I would think that 14-16" bars should be plenty for most of my needs, my last few uses (with rented and borrowed saws) have been on 3-4' trunks, which makes me want to go bigger. My next planned fell is a 40" willow. This will require some climbing, and I'm not sure I want to climb with a heavy saw. Maybe what I need are two saws. :)

The CS-590 seems to be a pretty popular model, but do I really need a 60cc engine to run a chain on 18-20" bars? By comparison, the CS-500P has a 45cc engine, is two pounds lighter than the CS-590, and can run 16-20" bars. I just don't have enough experience to judge the power. Last time I used an Echo, it was the CS-300 (30cc maybe), and I had no trouble plunging it in maple with a 14" bar.

When I compare this to my motorcycle, my sporty 650cc is plenty of bike for me. Is it the fastest or most powerful bike on the market? No, but it's perfect for my needs. Powerful and nimble enough to make me happy, get me out of a bad spot, and compete respectably at the track.

In summary, I'm looking for a reliable saw that I can use mostly on the ground, but also for some climbing, and would like up to a 20" bar capability.

I would appreciate any advice you have, even if it is to get two saws. Thanks.

If you are open to the idea of two saws, then the two you mentioned should work fine....the CS300 and the CS590. The 300 will be great for limbing work and small stuff. The 590 will be your time saver when you get into the big stuff. But.....don't necessarily go by what I say.....because I have 9 chainsaws on the shelf in my workshop. :surprised3:

I was only able to get one saw when I got mine and I debated on which one then decided on the cs-590 and it was a great choice. Yes I wouldn't mind having a smaller saw for the small stuff from time to time but if you can get one saw to last you for a while I would do the 590.

The 500 is actually 50.2 cc and there is also the 501P which is a saw I've been considering. Basically a 501 with a few performance upgrades. My main work saw is an older echo 520 which is very close to these models. You can easily run a 20" bar on these saws. They run .325 chain as opposed to 3/8 so the saw doesn't have to pull as hard with the smaller cutters. They're all great choices and you'll be very happy with any of them. The 590 is a beast of a saw at a great price. I personally just like the weight savings of a good 50 cc saw especially if you're just a casual user.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The 490 is an excellent saw as well i have 2 590s and 1 490.for the type of cutting you describe.
Is 490 territory nice light saw i prefer a 18 inch bar balance is better for me.
The 590 has
been flawless in over 4 year's of cutting just a bit heavier than the 490.
Either saw are common for 300.00-350.00 free ship ebay.

Thank you, gents. I stopped at a local dealer today. The 590 was heavier than I expected. I would not feel comfortable climbing with it for limbing work.

I will likely go with two saws. I will either have to buy one and rent the other for the 40" willow, or see if I can get a good deal for a bundle.

One more question, comparing the regular models to the professional ones, it looks like the P ones have an aluminum handle, rim sprocket, and sometimes a higher end bar, but the price is significantly higher. Is there anything else I am missing about the P models?

The 490 is an excellent saw as well i have 2 590s and 1 490.for the type of cutting you describe.
Is 490 territory nice light saw i prefer a 18 inch bar balance is better for me.
The 590 has

I have an 18" on one 490 and 20" on the other and I
agree the 18" feels better in your hand.

This is saw ****
2925f3d688edc8193bc70651032a7a9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cs590 is my vote. Do a muff modd and retune, it will really wake up.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

If you are open to the idea of two saws, then the two you mentioned should work fine....the CS300 and the CS590. The 300 will be great for limbing work and small stuff. The 590 will be your time saver when you get into the big stuff. But.....don't necessarily go by what I say.....because I have 9 chainsaws on the shelf in my workshop. :surprised3:
Only 9. That will grow if ya keep hangin out here.

The 590 has

I have an 18" on one 490 and 20" on the other and I
agree the 18" feels better in your hand.

Taking another look at the 490. Only two pounds heavier than the lightest models, magnesium case, rim sprocket, and up to 20" bar.

Are you, gents, running a 0.325" chain or 3/8"? It seems odd that the smaller CS-400 calls for a 3/8 chain on an 18" bar, but the CS-490 calls for a .325 chain. For what it may be worth, I used a 18" bar 400 for six hours or so, and found it pretty decent.

Taking another look at the 490. Only two pounds heavier than the lightest models, magnesium case, rim sprocket, and up to 20" bar.

Are you, gents, running a 0.325" chain or 3/8"? It seems odd that the smaller CS-400 calls for a 3/8 chain on an 18" bar, but the CS-490 calls for a .325 chain. For what it may be worth, I used a 18" bar 400 for six hours or so, and found it pretty decent.
The cs 400 is a picco chain. 3/8 low profile cutters

Latest posts

Back