Which Husky to Buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Joe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am looking to buy a chainsaw... I have been pricing three different Husky models...They are the 353, the Rancher 55, and the 346XP...Just wondering which model you guys would pick for all around cutting...I will not be dropping any big trees and was leaning toward the 346XP...It is not that much more and was wondering if that would be a good choice...I will mostly be using it to cut firewood...Would a 18" bar be a good bar to get with it?? I dont see where I would need anything larger than that...I called the dealer and he said that the 346XP is a sweet saw to get...I just was wondering if he is telling me that because it is a little more expensive...It is around the price that I want to spend...
Thanks, Joe

The 346 is a fantastic firewood saw. The 55 has more grunt, the 346 more rpm and is faster in small cuts. My 55 is great for firewood. I also have dropped trees up to 40" diameter with it.

I would get a 16" bar for either one. You can cut just as much with a 16" as you can with an 18 or 20, and it will require less power and be safer.

For a seasoned user with razor sharp chain and smaller wood, the speed could be used to best advantage.
For an occassional user cutting firewood with a less than perfect chain, more CC's and torque will give better results.

Don't take the sharp chain comments personally. I know many guys in the business who cannot keep a chain sharp, and maybe 1 homeowner in 100 might be able to sharpen a chain half decent. Save your money and buy the 55. You may never be able to use the narrow powerband of the 346XP to it's fullest potential.

I ran the 55 for 3 yrs, cutting firewood and limbing sawlogs. Its a great all around saw, get the 16" bar and chain. Less teeth to sharpen:D .
Ed K

Hi Big Joe, I would go for the 357 Sno Pro and at least open up the muffler. It will keep up with an 044 I bet. With 16" bar you will bury yourself in woodchips. Here's a load I felled, skidded and bucked with a 357 Sno pro by Dennis Greffard with a 16" bar and square chain.
John

Hey John, is that skidder attachment for the DG357XPG a cable or a grapple type?

Glen

I love my 346xp, and would definitely recommend it to anyone who can and will keep a sharp chain. It is very tempermental when cutting hardwood if you dont keep after the chain. Awesome saw. I would put an 18 on it without question. I run a 20 on mine, though it is Walkerized. My dad runs a 20 on his stock and that saw pulls it easily.
To get off the subject a little, Gypo, what can you guys gross up there? That looks like 120-140 thousand pounds gross. Is that a Mack?

55r

Big Joe, the 55r is a proven design that will give you many years of firewood cutting. It is one the best values you can find. It is a good all around saw and that's what you need. The 353 is a new model that is the replacement for the 351 which uses many of the same components that the 346xp uses. It should also be a good choice.

Latest posts

Back