Which of these 2 limbing saws would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new dcs401 about six months ago. I couldn't get it to run right and finally sent it back to Makita for service. It seems like it's running good now but a little rich on the top. I'm through cutting wood for the year so I won't test it out good until next year.

When it was running poorly I was thinking that I should have added more money and bought a 346xp. I do hope that it works out because it sure is a very light and nimble saw.

I have both the dolmar ps401 and ms180 .I like the dolmar a lot more,faster,stronger.

Looking for an all purpose smaller limbing saw and have narrowed it down to the following 2...

Makita DCS401 for $260sh at a local shop, brand new
Dolmar Ps-401 for $280ish at a local shop, brand new
Stihl Ms180 for $240ish at a local shop, brand new

I think the Makita and Dolmar are the same saw, but they seem to have a few different features (auto-decomp on the Makita).

REALLY wanted an MS-200 or 339xp, but $630 and $489 respectively are just too much for those saws for my use (casual weekend trimming my trees, etc).

Probably pick up one of these and then either a 346xp, MS260 or Ps-5100 later for a 'larger' saw.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

:arg: I'd take that 339xp, any day in the week. :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
So in looking at the specs, it seems that the 401 is a clear winner over everything in it's size barring the 339xp unless price is taking into consideration.

MS180 is 2hp, 8.8#
DCS401 is 2.3hp, 8.8# (and only $18 more)
339xp is 2.4hp and 8.8# (but nearly 2x the cost of the DCS401).

BTW, the local dealer now says he can do $238 OTD for the 401.

I really wish I could afford a PS-5100, 346xp or MS260 but I just don't have $500 right now.

Yeah, I'd just get the MS200 rear handle like you planned to in the first place.

So in looking at the specs, it seems that the 401 is a clear winner over everything in it's size barring the 339xp unless price is taking into consideration.

MS180 is 2hp, 8.8#
DCS401 is 2.3hp, 8.8# (and only $18 more)
339xp is 2.4hp and 8.8# (but nearly 2x the cost of the DCS401).

BTW, the local dealer now says he can do $238 OTD for the 401.

I really wish I could afford a PS-5100, 346xp or MS260 but I just don't have $500 right now.

There are other things to consider, like rpms and handling - specially on a limbing saw.

"Looking for an all purpose smaller limbing saw and have narrowed it down to the following 2...

Makita DCS401 for $260sh at a local shop, brand new
Dolmar Ps-401 for $280ish at a local shop, brand new
Stihl Ms180 for $240ish at a local shop, brand new"

Either version of the 401....hands down!

Why do you guys want a top handle saw for limbing? I thought that top handle saws were designed more for pros who are working from the bucket of a boom truck?
For one-handing and reaching further. I do this quite a bit, but I grew up using chainsaws and I have more than enough wrist strength to control a little top handle. The closest I've ever come to an injury was accidentally touching the muffler on a saw I'd just killed.

This makes limbing very fast in densely-branched knotted messes, such as storm aftermath, but I wouldn't recommend it to the novice or someone with limp wrists.

Why do you guys want a top handle saw for limbing? I thought that top handle saws were designed more for pros who are working from the bucket of a boom truck?

Yep! Top handle saw are completely safe as long as you are in a bucket of a boom truck, but as soon as your feet hit the dirt, they are too dangerous to use! OSHA would be proud!:monkey:

For one-handing and reaching further. I do this quite a bit, but I grew up using chainsaws and I have more than enough wrist strength to control a little top handle. The closest I've ever come to an injury was accidentally touching the muffler on a saw I'd just killed.

This makes limbing very fast in densely-branched knotted messes, such as storm aftermath, but I wouldn't recommend it to the novice or someone with limp wrists.

:agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

Back