which saw to match

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bars from the 024 won't fit - the MS250 use the smaller bar mount!

I see. Would the chains work with a new bar?, not taking out link like 361. Thanks for the info too Troll:)

Didn't I say that in the very first response? :dunno:

Problem is the 3003 mount doesn't work on anything under the 024..... I'd say a MS260 is your future.

Now I know you had your heart set on something smaller and lighter so I guess now you need two new saws. :laugh: :cheers:

Seriously, you could just get the 9-pin .325 rim for your 361 just for the fun of it.

thanks for the advise given

A couple of hours away and already page 2...

Visited the dealer and talking 180 to him i got a look back as ''What do YOU want to do with a 180???''

I said ok listen a 260 or 240 is out of budget, i want something smaller than the 361 that works with 325 chain but cant afford it so that's why the 180.

He takes me to his workplace (you know 'organized chaos' ) and points to a box of sawparts and says: this is your 260 for less than the price of a new 180. Give me till wednesday and i put it together with a new cylinder, piston, bearings and what else it needs. It will not look new, parts have to go in ultrasonic cleaning and we will see how they come out.

I gave him a look as in: where the f.ck do you have an ultrasonic bath in this chaos. shook his hand and said... see you on wednesday! :clap:

some days are good!:cheers:

See I told you you wanted an MS260. :laugh: :cheers:

and now the bar and chain questions

Been reading a bunch of the 260 and 361 posts but still not out of it.

German website vs US website is not helping also, the 361 in europe goes up to 45cm bar while 63cm in US.....:dizzy:

Purpose: felling and bucking of trees in my range, say 20 inch avg max exeptional something bigger if its a no brainer. Mostly hardwood.

Target: smooth power

Mods: muffler mod (done), double dawgs kit

Bar and chain:
now 16inch, 3/8 RS, 7T sprocket
replace by:
20 inch, 3/8 RS semi-skip, 7T sprocket ??

Purpose: limbing and cutting up the branches smaller than 8'' for firewood.

Target: speed

Mods: muffler mod

Bar and chain:
14 inch, .325 RS, which sprocket???

Full Skip chain on the 361 with a 63cm bar instead?
I was felling a dead standing :censored: hard 16'' locust yesterday and not dissapointed but no wow. The 20 inch willow also felt 'sufficient' for the 361, both with the 16'' bar)

Benefits to go to an ES bar performance wise (361/260/both)?

(E bars are green dots but does anything benefit from the ES concept, other than the replacable tip. I rather by a new bar when it breaks down in these short lenghts than fiddling with the tips)

your opinions being much appreciated
:cheers:

conf40.gif
I thought the whole purpose for a new saw was to use the bars you already have. :dunno:

My opinion (not that you guys listen :laugh:) bolt on the 15" bar you already have and get an 8-pin .325 sprocket, and try not to smile to big while you're using it, you'll get wood chips in your teeth.

Once again IMO (and if it were me) I would (dare I say it)...... gulp....... sell the MS361
hidesbehindsofa.gif
....... and get a 70cc saw.

I would recommend the MS460 with a 20" Stihl ES bar running 3/8's and an 8-pin rim. I would also add a 24" ES bar and a 7-pin rim for it. If the need arises the 460 is capable of pulling a 32" bar without to much trouble, and with the 20" it sure makes the trees fit in the fireplace real quick.

Just my
twocents.gif
again. :rolleyes:

Code:
 I thought the whole purpose for a new saw was to use the bars you already have.

Erick, you are completely right.....

in a rational way

Nevertheless....

Selling a couple of months old saw is not in my plan, I just want to see what is the optimum combination with both saws.

Reading the topics 361 and 260 showed me more possibilities to pick from, hence the questions.

Life was more simple before AS, but the cutting was slower.

My opinion (not that you guys listen :laugh:) bolt on the 15" bar you already have and get an 8-pin .325 sprocket, and try not to smile to big while you're using it, you'll get wood chips in your teeth. ....

.325 rims smaller than 9-pin will not fit the spline of the 361........:biggrinbounce2:

.325 rims smaller than 9-pin will not fit the spline of the 361........:biggrinbounce2:

:confused:

But they will fit on his newly aquired MS260, which is what I was saying to put the 15" bar and .325 chain on with an 8-pin sprocket.

:monkey:

:laugh:

Code:
 I thought the whole purpose for a new saw was to use the bars you already have.

Erick, you are completely right.....

in a rational way

Nevertheless....

Selling a couple of months old saw is not in my plan, I just want to see what is the optimum combination with both saws.

Reading the topics 361 and 260 showed me more possibilities to pick from, hence the questions.

Life was more simple before AS, but the cutting was slower.

I kinda figured that. :cheers:

In that case I would go MS260 with the 15" bar like I said and run the MS361 with an 18" bar full time and pick up a 24" bar and some skip chain for those occasional times when you may want/need bigger.

I know you guys get some odd length bars over there so if you could find a 22" or 23" bar even better.

You might push your main MS361 bar to 20" just understand it will be a little slower and a tad less impressive than it would be with the 18", and you already said it didn't give you that WOW factor with the 16" bar.

All of my bars are 4" apart (i.e. 16", 20", 24", 28", 32", etc.) and it is just about the perfect gap.

If you could find a way to go 15" on the MS260 and 19" and 23" on the MS361 you'd be spot on.

If you have to put the big bar on the 361 you can bolt the 17" .325 bar on the 260 for the smaller work. :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you, pictures to follow this weekend.

Ended up with:

260:

.325 8T 15" RS
3/8 7T 16" RS (orig config of the 361)

361:

3/8 7T 16" RS (yes the same one)
3/8 7T 24" RSF

So on soft wood i can get the 260 a workout in 3/8 while the 361 can go up to 24"
In hardwood i can keep the 260 on 325 and put the 3/8 16" bar on the 361.
(too many chains around to go for 18" bar right now)

i did not go for the 12.5" bar on the 260 in .325 as i would like to have some reach with it.

I took the 24" with skip because at least it will give me the extra lenght and i expect it to slow down the cutting speed but not bogging the engine as easily as with a 20+RS.

FYI, skipchain is not available in Slovakia by Stihl. half of the country is forrest but they dont see a reason to import it.
A 24" bar is sold 460 and up.

If anybody has a better idea, I can change till wednesday. Friday all will be ready and in at the dealer.

:cheers:

Since I bought my 180, I hardly need my 260. The 180 is WAY lighter than the 260 and by the time I'm done with the 180, I might as well grab the 361.

My sequence is like this: MS 200, 026, 044, MS 460, and on up to saws bigger thanI have any real use for.

The 200 is really powerful for its size!

Latest posts

Back