Which small Stihl to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swyman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 460 but would like a smaller saw to cut up the tops. My buddy dropped off a MS 200T and I like the saw but is a little hard on the wrist while cutting thicker(12") logs. See they have it as an MS 200 with difference being a rear handle which would be perfect except for the price. The 200T is $560 and the MS 200 is $640 range. I dont want a POS and I know the 200T and MS 200 is a professional saw and should be of higher quality. My question is would say a MS 180 with a 14" bar fit the bill or would it not have the power and zing of the 200's? Want a light, easy to handle saw that will last!

You'll get what you're willing to pay for. There have been a few on this site with the MS200 but you see far more with and MS180 or MS210/211. I personally can't justify $600+ for a small limbing saw.

I haven't seen anything bad said about the new MS211 and with an 14" bc, you'd probably be making pretty good power. Mid $200s price tag also.

I know when I put down my 044 and pickup the MS180, it feels like I'm not holding any weight and just about as good as taking a break.

I have a 024AV I picked up off of Craigs List for $150.

It seems like an absolute dream after the MS-360. Not that the 360 is a heavy saw, but once I put it down and pickup the 024 to trim the tops it's like holding a feather.

But it doesn't look like they offer a MS-240 in the U.S. currently...hrrrmph.

I use an ms 210c sometimes with a 14" bar and does well within its limits. Tool less tensioner is a pos, but I believe there is a similar model with a traditional tensioner. Much better would be an ms 260 pro with a 16" bar, but more money, but it will have the "zing" that the 210 or similar saw will not have.

I like my 210 alot.Its 14"bar Its got pretty good power for what it is

I have a 180 I bought for my son when he was 12,and he has outgrown it and I find it is great for limbing spruce.A little underpowered for hardwood,I find ,but still does a good job.The next size up ,maybe a 200 might be a better choice.

I like my ms260 for small stuff. Plenty of power for what it's used for. Costs plenty though.

I'll throw my opinion in as well. I got a 192 rear handle 2 years ago and love the thing. Has the standard tensioning system and good anti vibe. Close to same size motor as the 200 too. It doesn't have as much bulk plastic as the homeowner versions. Around $300.00 but I'd buy it again. Has a 14 inch bar as well. Ran a 009 for a trim saw for tears and even though the motor isn't as big, "feels" like it has more power.

I like the ms 250 with a 16" bar for smaller stuff and the 046 magnum for the bigger stuff
+1. Maybe the MS 260 Pro, worth every penny. :chainsaw:
MS260PROrev.gif

Last edited:
i have a 290 and a 180 ,a great economical combo 2 saw plan IMHO
after break in and a muffler mod both saws really come alive the 180 is a great little lightweight saw what it lacks in size it makes up for in RPM and holds its own well

Last edited:
I take three saws when I cut , a 066 with 24"/30" , a 440 with a 24" bar and a 026Pro with 16" for the small stuff. I bought the 026 for $170 and it needed a little TLC..it runs super strong now and has great power with a 16" bar.

+1 MS211

It can handle the 14" 3/8" Picco .050" chain no problem. You could also run a Picco Micro .043" on a 16" bar with good results.

You should also note Stihl has a lighter weight E-Light series 12"/14"/16" bars for the Picco .050" size and you will feel the weight difference.

Owning both the 192T and MS211, I can assure you the 211 offers significantly more power in the cut. The 192T requires some touch to avoid bogging when cutting over 8" while the 211 can run the full 14" bar without a problem, unless you really lean into it.

The 211 sounds really good as well, much like a mini 361.

I don't regret my ms211 purchase. However, if I had both the 192T and 211 to do over, I'd probably get the 200T and call it a day.

+1 MS211

It can handle the 14" 3/8" Picco .050" chain no problem. You could also run a Picco Micro .043" on a 16" bar with good results.

You should also note Stihl has a lighter weight E-Light series 12"/14"/16" bars for the Picco .050" size and you will feel the weight difference.

Owning both the 192T and MS211, I can assure you the 211 offers significantly more power in the cut. The 192T requires some touch to avoid bogging when cutting over 8" while the 211 can run the full 14" bar without a problem, unless you really lean into it.

The 211 sounds really good as well, much like a mini 361.

I don't regret my ms211 purchase. However, if I had both the 192T and 211 to do over, I'd probably get the 200T and call it a day.
Yep the 211 is a fine saw, BUT, if you can find a 260 not the pro which they don't make any more it can be had for about $125 more. I got one with a 16" bar and had to say it was a big turd comapred to my 026 I ran for years until I drilled the muffler a bit and now it's a little screamer. If moneys an issue which it usually is you can buy a 211 and feel confident it will hold up. I ran one all season for commercial use and never had a single issue with it.

I climb with a 200t. My saw mech. tells me that the saw is not intended for ground use. Not because of the handle design but because of the engine design. I have a 250 for my small saw and it works well. For a good all around saw I used to have a 290 with a 3/8 sprocket. It worked great till it was stolen.​

180 is underpowered, 210 is lowest i find usefull

I completely disagree. I can go 2 cut with my 180 to one with my 210. Bang for the buck you are getting more with the 180. My BIL will back me up on this as well. One other advantage for the 180 is that it is lighter.

Back