Which Stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike367

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm A new guy here what A great site! I'm not A pro logger. My plan is to buy about A 10ac wood lot and enjoy it !!!!!! I stopped by my local stihl dealer yesterday and took A look at the stihl saws. My ? is what model or models would you guys recommend for A serious recreational user? The dealer said it may be beneficial for me to have 2 saws with diff. sized bars. Is he being honest or just trying to sell me 2 saws? Money is not an issue, just want to make sure I have the proper tools. Thanks, Mike

unless you have some seriously big trees, I don't think two saws are needed. Which model you end up with will depend on how much use it will get. what I mean is that a lighter saw will easier to use for long periods. While a heavier saw may be needed for those extremely large trees. I personally did a lot of reasearch on this site and ended up w/ a older stihl 026. I have two bars, 18" and 16". The 16" stays on the saw unless the 18" is needed. All I could say is stick w/ stihl and you will be very pleased.

Two saws with different size bars aren't necessarily necessary, but hey, if you only get one, you will probably end up wanting another and then another later on. Why not start with two? It sounds like you might be heading in that direction. Since money isn't an issue, let me suggest that you get an 046 with a 24" bar and an 026 with a 16" bar. I've never had either one, but if money wasn't an issue, I would.

If money isn't an issue then...I used a Stihl 460 last month to buck at a hoechuck show. I liked it, good power, good anti-vibe, easy to handle. It is always good to have two saws, one saw could breakdown, one saw could get stuck bucking and you need the other one to get it out etc. Of course he is trying too sell you two saws. If you get two saws maybe get a 372 Husky. Beside the saws get some p.p.e. and some knowledge about falling & bucking.

Mike it depends upon a lot. I'm 75 and cut a lot of firewood on nearby ranches for myself and friends. My basic Stihl is a 260 (older models are 026) and I use an 18" bar on it. It will down the smaller oak's that fit well into the fireplace; and, is a great 'trimming' saw to get rid of all the smaller stuff (frog hair), so you can get to the size limbs you are going to use in the fireplace. This saw weighs 10.6 lbs and you can work it for several hours at a time without any problems.

Friend of mine bought a log splitter last winter and we are now cutting down larger trunk trees, with bigger limbs, etc. I bought a 360 Pro last winter, with a 20" bar for these larger trees. It weighs 12.5 lbs and I can handle it with ease; but, take breaks more frequently.

So my recommendation to you is based upon what size trees/limbs/logs are you going to be working with. If you are going to cut 'fireplace' wood that does not require the use of a mechanical splitter, then you only need one saw; and, the 260 Pro is my recommendation for you, as it has a 'decompression' valve that makes cranking it a tad easier.

Tom

Ok, first of all, what do you plan to cut, how big is it? this helps to narrow down the search. for smaller stuff, I'd go with an MS260 with about a 16 or 18" bar, and chisel chain, or if you need bigger, an MS460 with a 24" bar and still keep the chisel chain on it. on the 460, I'd HIGHLY recommend a dual port muffler for it to improve power slightly, same applies to the 260, just a muffler mod with a dremel for it though.

Mike,

I`m going to make a few assumptions, tell me if I`m wrong because my recommendations will be based on them.

When you say you are going to buy a woodlot, I assume that you are referring to a stand that has already been logged for it`s timber. Based on that assumption, I figure that the largest trees that you are likely to be cutting are going to be in the 14" range. Assuming this is true, and that you must buy a Stihl, I`d recommend the 260, 280, or 361. I think the 250 is marginal for falling trees but would make a great firewood saw once those trees are down. Anything bigger than the 361 is overkill for this size tree and is getting quite pricey for a firewooder, especially for a first saw.

Not that every chainsaw isn`t dangerous, but things start happening so much faster with a bigger saw like the 460 which has the potential for much more reactive force in a kickback. Another factor to consider is that the 460 will work you with it`s extra horsepower and weight, but unless you work the saw to it`s potential, it won`t cut much faster than the 361.

I won`t recommend the 290/310/390. I just don`t like them. Many others here will probably tell you that they are great saws. They might be right in the context they use them and the way that you might.

Two saws are always good, twenty are better. :)

Don`t forget your PPE and at a minimum, study the safety manual that will come with your saw.

Russ

Thanks all for the great replies. Russ your assumptions are close. The "wood lot" I'm lookin at is about 9ac. and consist of ash, maple , oak, and some beech. Most of the trees are approx. 18" or less in diameter. There is about 6 very large maple trees scattered about. Also some large cherrys on the south edge that borders A hay field. The wife (boss) and I discussed over diner A budget for saws and related gear. I didn't mean to sound like A snob in my first post saying money is no object. We set A budget of $2500. Would it be unrealistic to be well equipped for that? Also could some one give me A list of stuff I would need. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

$2500 is good, people here will give you goodadvice. Personally I would be wearing caulk boots, fallers pants with a whistle tied on my suspenders and a nice Husky muff/screen hard hat. Now we are logging, gotta have a mans saw as well. If you are anywhere near 6' tall you need a 24" bar at the min.. I am 5'11", at least 6'1'' with my boots on and I like my 371xp with a 28" bar. When you have to limb and buck all day your back will thank you for the long bar... and a long bar takes a bigger saw to make it work good..so a 460 is the cats meow.

Mike,

If your budget allows $2,500 for saws and PPE, you can be a Jim Dandy woodcutter! LOL! I assume that the budget is also meant to buy a woodsplitter? $2,500 is an awful lot just for saws and safety gear, way more than you realistically need to spend for saws(did I really just type that?).

Tell us what else you are planning to get with this money.

BTW, if the majority of your trees are in the 18" range, the 361 would be my choice from the list that I previously suggested. If you are comfortable and reasonably skilled, a 440 or 460 would be appropriate, if the majority of trees are near 18". If the ratio were 1:9 or 2:8, 18" trees to trees in the 12" or under range I would stick with the 361 if you go single saw, or a 440 or 460 and a 250 or 260 if you buy two saws. The possible great combinations are endless when you have cash. :D

Russ

Last edited:
Ok guys here I go, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting 2 Stihl saws: MS270C with 16" bar / MS361C with 20" bar. 2 axes, some wedges, A sledge hammer, spare chains, sharpening supplies. Hard hat, ear protection, chaps, safety boots, gloves. Hook for rolling logs. What else? Mike

Sounds like your ready to have some fun! I always have about 30' of logging chain and a 2 ton come-a-long. They have been very handy when dragging logs around or felling a tree in an tight spot. You may not need them, just a thought.

I like the choice of the 361 but I think I would go with a 250 for the small saw quite a bit lighter and cheaper. In my mind the 361 and 270 are to close to being the same saw you would have all the weight of a 361 with the power of a 260. The 250 is enough saw for a back up and if you are going with a homeowner saw anyway. If you do a muffler mod to the 250 you are pretty close to the power of 270 but almost 2 pounds lighter. With the money you saved put a chisel chain on the 250 and you will be a happy camper.

Best of luck on your decision

Lucky

I've got a 360 - great saw, no complaints. But if I was tackling 18" hardwood often, I'd want more power. Does that $2500 have to include a splitter? That could suck up most of your $$ right there.

Mike367 said:
Ok guys here I go, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm getting 2 Stihl saws: MS270C with 16" bar / MS361C with 20" bar. 2 axes, some wedges, A sledge hammer, spare chains, sharpening supplies. Hard hat, ear protection, chaps, safety boots, gloves. Hook for rolling logs. What else? Mike
  • A camera so you can post pictures of all the trees you'll cut.
  • Chain
  • Ropes
  • Hand winch a.k.a. come along
  • Draft mare
  • 1-ton pickup
  • box of matches
  • gasoline can
  • gasoline
  • foam blocks
  • nitrate fertilizer
  • copper wire
  • ACME catalog
  • Topographical map of local government buildings
  • M-16 :)

You can't buy it for $2500, but in addition to all that hardware, you need to be working with at least one other person. Its never smart to be working with trees and chainsaws by yourself.

Tom

Mike367 said:
Hi all, I'm A new guy here what A great site! I'm not A pro logger. My plan is to buy about A 10ac wood lot and enjoy it !!!!!! I stopped by my local stihl dealer yesterday and took A look at the stihl saws. My ? is what model or models would you guys recommend for A serious recreational user? The dealer said it may be beneficial for me to have 2 saws with diff. sized bars. Is he being honest or just trying to sell me 2 saws? Money is not an issue, just want to make sure I have the proper tools. Thanks, Mike
Stihl MS361. Short of cash? Stihl MS 260. End of problem. Cheers.

Mike367 said:

I too think the 270 might be a little much for a smaller saw. I have 2 036's ( various bars) and a 170 (14 inch bar) for cutting the small stuff. I think the 361 is a great saw for the experienced homeowner. While I have no complaints about my 170 which only weighs 8.6 lbs, I think the 250 would also make a nice limbing saw. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with having the 270, if you don't mind having such a heavy saw for limbing.

Latest posts

Back