Which would you rather buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw would you leave with???

• Total voters
which one?

the 440 . And if somthing goes wrong with it i will put a 460 top end on it and be better than the 441.:chainsaw:

The need to bring less gas into the woods with a strato saw sure can be relevant in some situations, but how many of us really calculate (with any accuracy) how much they need in advance, and carry only that amount?

The need to bring less gas into the woods with a strato saw sure can be relevant in some situations, but how many of us really calculate (with any accuracy) how much they need in advance, and carry only that amount?

LOL.

My backing of the 441 is based purely on production, not machoism or belief that something is a legend. It is simply on what/which product will get the trees cut down and cut up the quickest.

Myth: 441 is unproven technology
Truth: The engine and filtration system have been used for sometime in the concrete saw industry which has much worse conditions than logging. Plus now, the 441 is by far, not a spring chicken. I can fully say that the 441's spring mounts are stronger than the ones on my 660 or 361. I have broken them and have never broken a mount on a 441 and I feel I have abused that saw worse.

Myth: 441 is slower than a 460
Truth: If it is, it can't be by much. As even the most recent video's show. A muffler modded or dual port 460 is only maybe 1 second faster than a single port stock 441?!?!?!?!

If that is the best you 460 lovers can do, thats pretty sad, actually.

Additionally, the 441 will cut almost 1/3 more trees on the same gallon of gas. That 1 charished second is completely pointless in the real world.

I honestly don't see how people get around this minor little obstacles of reality, but they do. That said, I have nothing against the great, legendary saws like the 440 or 460. Its not like you have a pile of junk, they simply lack efficiency, which is not the end of the world. But because one is one pound lighter and the other is .5hp stronger doesn't make them overall better than the 441, when the 441 has several credits to it design for each of those singular credits of the older saws.

The above is written based on stock saws. If/when you modd the 441, I'm not sure the 460 (Modded or not) has much of its one (.5hp) leg to stand on. While the 440 would still be lighter.

My opinion with some facts sprinkled in, LOL,

Sam

Sam, I would love to get a chance to run your 441 sometime. Im fixin to build some 440's for the local logging boys, and would love to compare the two.

You just have to run a 441 to appreciate it. Those saws are balanced to well with a 25" bar it's amazing. It just blew my 660 away as far as vibrations and balance goes. That's why I want a 362. It has to be awesome also.

I did'nt want to put the 441 down when I tried it out. Have been back to my buddies a few times since to run it, cutting up all his wood for free. :)

Even offered to swap him my 660 anytime he needed the extra juice to tackle something big. You just don't feel the little extra weight in it. The guy also has an 044, which I've ran, and is the only one I've ever ran and it was a great saw too. Good power and balance, but the 441 was the better saw IMO. It felt lighter than the 044 to me. Has to be the balance. The 044 had a 28" bar if that would have made the weight difference seem different to me, but I don't think that was it.

My old 044 has been my favorite all around saw for firewood production so with what I hear of the 441 by its users makes it sound like it would fill the gap between my 044 and 660. I might like the 440 better for limbing but it sounds like the 441 does most other work better and more efficiently. Its not out of the ordinary for me to range away from my truck with chainsaw in hand singling cull trees and cutting them up as I go. I usually don't carry extra gas and oil because of the burden, so its a trip back to the truck when ever I run out. Why wouldn't it be a big advantage to cut significantly more on a tank of gas, better power, air filteration, anti-vibe... ? When bucking up big stuff I believe I would prefer the extra pound, I'd probably keep the 044 for when more limbing is involved close to the truck and back up but in realality the size and nature of my business the price of a new 441 (or most new saws for that matter) is cost prohibitive.

Not being a Stihl-head, I probably wouldn't buy either one. But the strato- technology is being applied everywhere else, too, and I'm certain that a company with as much to lose via a poor deployment of new technology as Stihl does is going to do their homework.

I like two-strokes, I like their sound, their peaky powerband, even the smell of half-burned oil hanging in the air. The strato-saws (and etc.!) come close to eliminating that, but maybe that's a good thing. I'm seriously considering a strato-saw as my next purchase: fortunately for my pocketbook, a serious, pro-quality strato-Jonsered is probably a year or two away. I'm not concerned about fuel economy with a saw, really: who would be that only burns maybe 25 gallons of mix a year (and some of that ends up in the lawnmower if the barrel is empty, LOL!)?

I support the new technology, and would like to see it succeed, especially in 3rd-world countries where small two-stroke scooters and motorcycles are the most common form of transportation. Actually, I'd like to see a small, personal-transportation revolution occur in N. America as well; a small strato-two-stroke, perhaps 100cc and powerful enough to carry one average rider at reasonable speeds yet still getting really great mileage...and holding together for more than the 5-10,000 miles small Japanese dirtbikes did...or maybe even a small commuter car for bad weather!

I'd buy the 441 because it represents the new technology.

There is no wrong answer here. Having the cash to plunk down on a new saw makes it a good day all around. No losers here.

I've never run a 441. But I love the power, weight and especially the handling of a 440. Hard to believe a 441 would handle better, but what do I know.

Last edited:
Buncha whine asses voting for the 440.

What a friggin' surprise.

I do believe you are just pissed that you came out of the closet on your last poll :)

I vote 440 like 2/3 of the rest...

LOL.

My backing of the 441 is based purely on production, not machoism or belief that something is a legend. It is simply on what/which product will get the trees cut down and cut up the quickest.

Myth: 441 is unproven technology
Truth: The engine and filtration system have been used for sometime in the concrete saw industry which has much worse conditions than logging. Plus now, the 441 is by far, not a spring chicken. I can fully say that the 441's spring mounts are stronger than the ones on my 660 or 361. I have broken them and have never broken a mount on a 441 and I feel I have abused that saw worse.

Myth: 441 is slower than a 460
Truth: If it is, it can't be by much. As even the most recent video's show. A muffler modded or dual port 460 is only maybe 1 second faster than a single port stock 441?!?!?!?!

If that is the best you 460 lovers can do, thats pretty sad, actually.

Additionally, the 441 will cut almost 1/3 more trees on the same gallon of gas. That 1 charished second is completely pointless in the real world.

I honestly don't see how people get around this minor little obstacles of reality, but they do. That said, I have nothing against the great, legendary saws like the 440 or 460. Its not like you have a pile of junk, they simply lack efficiency, which is not the end of the world. But because one is one pound lighter and the other is .5hp stronger doesn't make them overall better than the 441, when the 441 has several credits to it design for each of those singular credits of the older saws.

The above is written based on stock saws. If/when you modd the 441, I'm not sure the 460 (Modded or not) has much of its one (.5hp) leg to stand on. While the 440 would still be lighter.

My opinion with some facts sprinkled in, LOL,

Sam

Get down to the earth! The truth is that the 441 is heavier and a lot bulkier than the 440, but it also has a tad more power, and some other nice features, that the relic doesn't have (and never really needed).

Just because it usually is that way, I guess the corresponding Huskys have better power-bands, in both cases, even though the 440 has a tad more max hp than the 372xp. I believe there never has been much doubt that the 372xp is the faster saw in the woods, despite what the specs say!

Last edited:
Hard to believe a 441 would handle better, but what do I know.

It doesn't. Even if my 441 was ported and had a .5hp more than my ported 044, it stihl would not sling around like the ninja sword 044/440. I've fell/topped/bucked pine all day with both, hands down 044. I like the 441 but it needs to be compared to the 460, the 044/440 always was and will stay in it's own class of weight vs. power. I think the 441 is a great saw and would be my #1 pick for a main bucking/landing saw.:cheers:

i actually agree................

I don't think many will argue with us about that.

The 2171 I had ran great and I think it might have been a better firewood saw than the 440. Get some longer bars and start felling, the 440 takes the cake. I just didn't care for the 2171's construction, it's chain speed was awesome though. Very different powerbands for sure.:cheers:

Back