Which would you rather buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw would you leave with???

• Total voters
LOL.

My backing of the 441 is based purely on production, not machoism or belief that something is a legend. It is simply on what/which product will get the trees cut down and cut up the quickest.

Myth: 441 is unproven technology
Truth: The engine and filtration system have been used for sometime in the concrete saw industry which has much worse conditions than logging. Plus now, the 441 is by far, not a spring chicken. I can fully say that the 441's spring mounts are stronger than the ones on my 660 or 361. I have broken them and have never broken a mount on a 441 and I feel I have abused that saw worse.

Myth: 441 is slower than a 460
Truth: If it is, it can't be by much. As even the most recent video's show. A muffler modded or dual port 460 is only maybe 1 second faster than a single port stock 441?!?!?!?!

If that is the best you 460 lovers can do, thats pretty sad, actually.

Additionally, the 441 will cut almost 1/3 more trees on the same gallon of gas. That 1 charished second is completely pointless in the real world.

I honestly don't see how people get around this minor little obstacles of reality, but they do. That said, I have nothing against the great, legendary saws like the 440 or 460. Its not like you have a pile of junk, they simply lack efficiency, which is not the end of the world. But because one is one pound lighter and the other is .5hp stronger doesn't make them overall better than the 441, when the 441 has several credits to it design for each of those singular credits of the older saws.

The above is written based on stock saws. If/when you modd the 441, I'm not sure the 460 (Modded or not) has much of its one (.5hp) leg to stand on. While the 440 would still be lighter.

My opinion with some facts sprinkled in, LOL,

Sam

Man, I've made the point on here so many times that a 1 second difference cutting cookies doesn't matter out in the woods or for an arborist or firewood cutter, that there are a lot of ways to be more efficient during your cutting day than to have a saw that cuts 1 second faster than the next guy's.

Get down to the earth! The truth is that the 441 is heavier and a lot bulkier than the 440, but it also has a tad more power, and some other nice features, that the relic doesn't have (and never really needed).
Just because it usually is that way, I guess the corresponding Huskys have better power-bands, in both cases, even though the 440 has a tad more max hp than the 372xp. I believe there never has been much doubt that the 372xp is the faster saw in the woods, despite what the specs say!

Niko, my friend. I can turn this around and say the only advantage the 440 has is that it's a little bit lighter. The other improvements are substantial IMHO.

Nothing against the 441 -- I'll probably be buying a couple at work soon -- but the 440/044 platform is tried and true, and, perhaps more importantly, there is a ton of aftermarket parts available, which means keeping them running longer is cheaper and easier.

Man, I've made the point on here so many times that a 1 second difference cutting cookies doesn't matter out in the woods or for an arborist or firewood cutter, that there are a lot of ways to be more efficient during your cutting day than to have a saw that cuts 1 second faster than the next guy's.

As have I, but there are "None so Blind as Those Who Will Not See", LOL.

Sam

Sam, I would love to get a chance to run your 441 sometime. Im fixin to build some 440's for the local logging boys, and would love to compare the two.

Wiggles that will be fine. What is your time frame. My 441 is up where we log. I can bring it home sometime.

Sam

Had a little time on my hands, so I hit the scales. These are certified postal scales.

First up is my 044, standard half wrap, small dual dawgs, full of fuel and oil. I must add a disclaimer though, it has an 046 top end, so the results might be off an ounce or two.

picture.php

Next up is my other bone stock 044. It has the full wrap, big dawgs, big clutch cover and a dual port muffler. It is also full of fuel and oil.

picture.php

Anybody have a 441 handy to weigh out??

Kevlar posted a while back the full wrap 441 with heated handle weighed 16 lb 1 oz dry. It's in the saw weight-fully loaded thread. I weighed a 460 with pro safety full wrap on my scales and it was 18 lbs and something full of fuel.

Kevlar posted a while back the full wrap 441 with heated handle weighed 16 lb 1 oz dry. It's in the saw weight-fully loaded thread. I weighed a 460 with pro safety full wrap on my scales and it was 18 lbs and something full of fuel.

Wow...that 441 is a porker. :hmm3grin2orange:

Does anybody else smell that? It smells like a dead thread.....:cry:

So its safe to say that on AS, 2 out of 3 people prefer the 440 to the 441?

Latest posts

Back