White Oak blew over II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score

Started working on the white oak about a week ago and got this far.

Worked on it some more this week and got the best of it done.

The rest is easy peasy.

Got to try out my new Tajfun 65 logging winch. Gave it a test run to get it figured out.
The one fence post was rotted off. Other than that, I was able to spare my fence.

The tractor is a New Holland T4030. 75hp, 62 at the pto. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/3/4/6344-new-holland-t4030.html

I have a little less than $5500 in the winch. I could have gotten the Wallenstein cheaper, but also got a wood splitter at the same time at the same place...one stop shopping. I also like some of the features of the Tajfun over the Wallenstein too. I may start a thread later to review the winch and cover some of it's attributes. I also hope to have some more winch video later as I will have some pulls that will be more challenging for it on some terrain that's not so friendly.

That pulled the trunk like it was hollow!!! Does it also have speed control?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hell of a job...looks a tad easier that me dragging em out with my P/U & logging chain! lol:rolleyes:

No speed control. The trunk was actually pretty heavy. I had been operating the winch at idle, but on it I bumped the rpm's up t about 1200. Once it got moving it pulled pretty easy.

Hell of a job...looks a tad easier that me dragging em out with my P/U & logging chain! lol:rolleyes:

I'm with you on that! Dragged quite a few with the pickup and then eventually with the tractor.

A couple of years ago I made a log skidder out of a shortened pig pole. I worked OK, but you had to back through the brush and over banks to get right over the log. If you wanted to drag 2 logs, you needed to drag one right next to the other then hook up and go. Odd angles were also an issue. You would have to drag to a certain point, unhook, then rehook at a different angle to make it around trees or ravines.

During hunting season, I am always noticing blowdowns, and standing dead stuff, that would make good firewood but a lot of them were inaccessible due to terrain, vegetation, or both. After watching guys use these winches on the internet, I figured I'd give one a try. So much easier on the tractor to keep it on the farm roads and not having to Baja through brush and over steep banks to drag stuff out and now I can also get to stuff that in the past was definitely not even a consideration. As it stands, I wish that I had gotten it years ago.

Latest posts

Back