White Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow

Actually I did about 8 years ago but it was cedar,not oak.It's in the picture behind the red oak log.I do have about 20 oak rails though that are most likely 100 years old.

would love to see a pic of you cutting through that oak. how much wood do you think is there?

would love to see a pic of you cutting through that oak. how much wood do you think is there?
I forgot how much actual firewood there was .I still have most likely over a cord of the bigger stuff I saved for the crotch wood etc. I still have the logs I haven't got around to sawing for lumber yet.I don't know maybe 3 to 4000 bfd feet ,give or take.Never the less it was a big old tree for the heart land.

I burn white oak, red oak, hickory, and locust. With white oak being my favorite, usually let it dry aboutr 9 months, then works fine after being split of course. Locust and hickory burn's a little hotter, but white oak is the absolute best in my neck of the woods, Virginny

your friend was right, White Oak is a horrible wood to burn, you should package each piece cut to length and split, and send it to my address where I can properly bur . . . errrr . . . dispose of it. :)

Tried burning some last night didn't work out so well temp went down to 150 on the insert and it was hard to keep a flame. after about two hours it seemed to burn better and temp went back up to 350. Its definitely not ready yet but if i mix it with some dryer wood its fine

good now

buring pretty good now end of the wood has alot of cracks and it burns really hot seems once it was stacked and split it dried muck quicker and man it gets hot if i open the doors to my insert i cant stand in front of it

filled the insert with it last night at about 9:30 and got up this morning about 7:00 and had enough coals to get it going again....wow thats 9 1/2 hours. i should say i certainly wasnt getting any heat a 7am but did have enough coals to get er up and heating quick

less than a cord left now. super dry. i find myself burning it only at night. Heats great. I would say definitly a great wood wish i could find some more. had a big red oak come down at the neighbors workin on getting that split for next year now

Back