Who Does Your Mod Work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a bunch done by Randy and one by Terry Landrum, a Jred 2188 that I sold and was happy as a pig in poo when I got it back, the thing flat out rips. I've ran a couple that were done by Spencerpaving that were very impressive, especially a 460 that he has and I've ran a few others by other builders. Some ported saws are better then others but not by much, they all have a lot of extra power, some 25% more power and some 35% more, but all are fun to run.

I think one thing that I've been able to see from Randy's posts is that porting a saw doesn't just require the right tools, skill, and experience, but a little bit of trial and error.

For example, anyone can grind on a jug, but where and how much make subtle changes to the result. Arriving at these recipes for a particular saw takes many trial-and-error attempts. For example, windowed piston or non-windowed, raise the cylinder walls or don't raise them, pop-up or cut the squish band, aftermarket pistons, aftermarket jugs, unshrouding the jug to match the case, opening up the transfer tunnels or just reshaping them, changing time area on intake, exhaust, reshaping ports, changing timing, stepped exhaust ports... There is really a lot of little things beyond just hogging out the holes in a jug. All these little things add up to a net result of squeezing 10-15% more out of a saw.

I think anyone will generally be happy with the results over their stock saw, but it becomes more difficult to determine who is better with which saws- for example, DozerDan has been mentioned connected to a well done 346xp. He might be able to squeeze 15% more out on that saw, while someone else might only be getting 12-13%.

If those types of questions matter to anyone, the only way to really tell is from GTG meetings and cookie cutting contests on the same log with the same bar and chain and with a stop watch. Otherwise, probably any of the people mentioned in this thread will suffice to make your saw more powerful than stock. Let your wallet and your time table navigate you.

In my experience compression makes a strong saw, porting is more setting the ports to the right height. Shape and finish does make a difference but not as much as the other 2. At least that's what I've found.

In my experience compression makes a strong saw, porting is more setting the ports to the right height. Shape and finish does make a difference but not as much as the other 2. At least that's what I've found.

Jason, if I can get my P5100S running right, I will probably have my 346XP done first. Have you done one of those? I just had it rebuilt by a friend of mine in Michigan and it has only 3 tanks through it. It is running pretty good but it's nothing like when I bought it. I bought the saw used but ported/MM and it spoiled me.

Jason, if I can get my P5100S running right, I will probably have my 346XP done first. Have you done one of those? I just had it rebuilt by a friend of mine in Michigan and it has only 3 tanks through it. It is running pretty good but it's nothing like when I bought it. I bought the saw used but ported/MM and it spoiled me.
I have not done a 346. I know how u feel a stock saw is plain slow.

Those three saws are great once you get them ported. Just ok out of the box. Lots of gains with some good porting, timing and muffler mods.

I realize it is all just opinion but I have to disagree about the 'just ok' part especially compared to the counterparts of their day. And IMO they all 3 still hold their own. Especially the 372. My 372 only has a MM and I did it myself (my first and only) so I am sure it could have been done better. I have run her HARD since 06 when I bought her and she should by all account be dead but she is still a screaming banshee and I have not done anything except feed her good fuel 40:1 and started using startron once ethanol came on the scene and keep the filter clean and change the plug each year. I haven't even replaced the fuel filter although I probably should just for general purposes.

We have since gotten a non-ethanol source locally so I no longer run corn in my saws.

I realize it is all just opinion but I have to disagree about the 'just ok' part especially compared to the counterparts of their day. And IMO they all 3 still hold their own. Especially the 372.
I believe he meant "just okay" compared to a ported saw, which I completely agree with. Running a ported saw definitely takes some of the fun out of running a stock saw.

Stock saws are so 3 years ago

My suggestion on "who to port my saw" would be "who loves my saw the most"...WTF does that mean?
certain guys love to work on certain saws...Dozer dan is known for his 346. Snelling has a strong attraction to 346 as well..

for me and a 395...it would go to a big guy down in TN that throws those 395's around like they are 346's....

looks just like that @HuskStihl guy though....

Back